eating when not hungry

Options
My problem is that I want to eat even when I'm not hungry. Drinking water helps, keeping busy also helps, but that almost unconscious desire always returns. Any suggestions for how to get over this?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Just keep saying no - I could eat all day too, if I let myself. I just know that I can't, or I'll end up the size of a house.

I pre plan meals, and prepare as much as possible. I know when meal times are and manage to make it through!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It helps to plan and log food the day before.
  • JesabelRivers
    JesabelRivers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found out that if you just want to keep on eating what you are already eating, (like another helping of the same) it can help to have something different. So at the end of a meal something like a dried fig or two. Then you have forgotten your compulsion to eat seconds. Works for me and I like it it.
  • khorshidnaz16
    khorshidnaz16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    You should eat salad a lot when you are hungry.
    My problem is that I want to eat even when I'm not hungry. Drinking water helps, keeping busy also helps, but that almost unconscious desire always returns. Any suggestions for how to get over this?

• ILoveGoal
    ILoveGoal Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sometimes after eated a 'epic meal', until tummy feel, the desire to eat more (soon after) can still be there. Saying 'no' silently to the body, we just ate until truly satisfied, this can't be real hunger yet. :o
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Keep in mind that desire and action are two different things. You'll probably never "get over" the desire to eat when not hungry, but that's a normal thing to have, and not a problem. What you need is the attitude that you, as a rule, only eat when hungry, and a habit of eating only when hungry.
  • JacobNicolaus
    JacobNicolaus Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Yep, had that before. My rule is: until I hear my stomach singing operas to me - it's not food time. Also, as @RodaRose said - having a specific time for your food intake helps. I have a set lunch at about 13:00 and dinner at 18:00 (and no snacks or deserts until after dinner). If I feel hungry or crave something between those times - tough luck!

Having no high-calorie snacks helps - you can't eat if there is nothing to eat, so to speak.

Another tip from my personal experience - whenever you feel a craving - go do some exercises. You may find that your craving subsides after a good workout.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that desire and action are two different things. You'll probably never "get over" the desire to eat when not hungry, but that's a normal thing to have, and not a problem. What you need is the attitude that you, as a rule, only eat when hungry, and a habit of eating only when hungry.

Agreed! And this is coming from the person with the world's worst self control. Like everything else, you'll eventually make it a habit (although I know it's hard now!).

• facobedina
    facobedina Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In my country, we have an ancient quote " avoid three whites; salt, sugar, " and i don't remember the last one but it's either white bread or white rice lol
    So these increase appetite..
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    facobedina wrote: »
    In my country, we have an ancient quote " avoid three whites; salt, sugar, " and i don't remember the last one but it's either white bread or white rice lol
    So these increase appetite..

Damn rice always triggers my appetite.

• Vegansuperman
    Vegansuperman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Being bored makes me eat when I'm not hungry.. gum helps, also hobbies, filling my time. Making sure I'm eating Whole Foods like a bunch of veggies that aren't calorie dense but it will fill you up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Have a plan about when and what you will eat, tell yourself you don't eat at other times (unless it's a rare occasion), and have a plan about how to distract yourself when you want to eat at other times -- get a cup of coffee (sometimes it's more a desire for a break or a social thing), be mindful of the fact you aren't hungry (if it's emotional or stress eating, be mindful of that), walk about or distract yourself by listening to music or getting busy or talking to someone. Also, IME it really does largely go away when you break the habit and get into a new one.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Still struggling with this. Focusing on making satisfying meals (that I actually want to eat) does help.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    As you mentioned, keeping busy is key for me. That plus adequate sleep.
    I bought an adult colouring book that I could do while watching TV.
    Summer projects like planning backyard stuff is keeping me busy now.
    Also being pregnant as it makes it too hard to get up to get food sometimes lol.