macros and calorie calculators

Options
I've had two different calorie amounts given to me, One says 1500 each day one 1900. One macro recommendation saying 40/40/20, one /20/20/60 etc.. jeez. I want a balance that will work in my favour that will also keep me healthy and well each and every day. I'm considering 1600 calories every day apart from cheat day. Exercise 6 days a week with one full rest day, exercising different muscle groups on different days, the exercise will help my mood also. Macros at 30 fat, 40 protein and 30 carbs. No harm in trying things out. I need healthy fats for mood and skin health, so if that means that I'll have a little bit fat so be it. To feel more body confident and healthy in body and mind is my goal

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why not start with MFP's macros, then tweak as necessary depending on whether you are better off eating more fat or protein or whatever.

Same for calorie goal. Pick a number, see what the scales do, tweak as necessary.
  • Nomoregrainsjustgains
    Options
    My fitness pal recommended I have even more calories than the above, sure it was 2010. I've tweaked it to 1600 but wonder if I'll need more, can just try things out. My calorie requirement on a day that I'm doing nothing is less than 1300, so the extra couple of hundred fuel me for the day. Maybe I could manage 25 fat rather than 30 if I plan some meal and snack ideas
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The average person needs 2000 calories per day. You sound like you are saying that you only need 1300. Unless you are a tiny person, that simply isn't possible. For me, I need about 2,400 calories if I do nothing. Most days I need to eat more than 3,000 calories to keep from losing weight (which I haven't been doing a very good job of). Today, I went out and recorded a calorie burn of 2,000 calories. So, theoretically I need to consume 4,400 calories today. I won't do that because I overate yesterday and I don't really feel like eating that much today. Tomorrow, I will probably be hungry.