What do you do when you have calories left

Options
124»

Replies

• ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Snack-Sizes are great, master your will.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    . It's also okay to eat when not hungry if that's what someone wants if they have extras lying around without being swayed by baseless moral judgements.

There's still the obvious fact that they need to lose some weight, no?

Eating per want and not need is usually what got people here in the first place.

Please note the "if they have extras lying around", meaning extra calories.

I know it's extra calories. What I get at is the strategy to do with them.

I would save them for a need that likely comes soon. It always does. Eating just because I want, have extra lying around, is a bad strategy.

Different people do well with different strategies. Wanting something and using my extra calories on it helps my weight loss because I'm personally less likely to want extra for a good while after that and I tend to come out at a more appropriate calorie average when I give in to my wants when appropriate. If a need comes soon after, I deal with it then and there by eating less of other things or moving more. This kind of strategy is less stressful to me than the alternative.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    . It's also okay to eat when not hungry if that's what someone wants if they have extras lying around without being swayed by baseless moral judgements.

Eating per want and not need is usually what got people here in the first place.

I think that goes somewhat counter to the concept of re-training yourself out of the habits (like eating when not actually hungry) that cause people to overeat and become fat in the first place. If you really want to change behavior and set new habits, making exceptions sabotages the formation of habit.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    "What do you do when you have calories left?"

Smile :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I think that goes somewhat counter to the concept of re-training yourself out of the habits (like eating when not actually hungry) that cause people to overeat and become fat in the first place. If you really want to change behavior and set new habits, making exceptions sabotages the formation of habit.

I understand what you are saying and support you going for it. It's just not for me. I mind my hunger cues, but I also mind my desires and happiness. I don't re-train myself out of habits, I tweak them to become compatible with my current goal without changing them too much. I've only changed and replaced the habits that could not be tweaked to fit and being without them would not impact my emotional wellbeing too much.

I refuse only eating when hungry because that would eliminate many of the foods that I eat for pure hedonic reasons, and that would not work for me.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I always have calories left at the end of the day. I keep various treats around the house in different calorie levels (cheese and crackers would be semi-high, at 270 for one serving of Triscuit thin crisps and two of those mini Babybels), mixed nuts would be in the middle, or I can have a Quest Bar, or a few pieces of chocolate (50-75 calories each depending on what they are), or if I *know* I am going to have almost 500 left, I thaw a piece of carrot cake. I am darn good at combining these now to get within 5-10 calories of my daily goal (I am in maintenance, but I did the same sort of thing when I was losing).
  • DorieAlthauser
    DorieAlthauser Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1,200 calories, so my opinion is based on that. MFP doesn't let me finish the day under 1,000, and that happens occasionally. If fat/fiber/protein were met, I would probably eat fruit. Not because I'm a health freak or anything. It's just that often I don't have the ability to because my calorie max doesn't allow for it.