cardiovascular exercise and weights on same day?

Options
Any fitness experts no if this is OK

Replies

• Nomoregrainsjustgains
    Options
    *KNOW
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's fine. You might find you don't lift as well if you do cardio first, and vice versa though
  • Nomoregrainsjustgains
    Options
    Thank you. I'd like to do both on the same day. If I make sure I fuel properly before I think I'll be OK. I'll be tired after lol so will make sure I can chill after so will need to plan the session in properly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's no rule that says you can't!!

Depends on the intensity and duration plus your personal capabilities how much, if at all, one workout impacts on the performance of the other.

The other variable is the relative importance to you and your training of volume versus quality of training.

• comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It's fine. 2-3 times a week I train in a public gym with co-workers in do warmup circuit & biking or running before doing a fairly fast-paced weights routine (minimal rest between sets). At home twice week I do powerlifting style training and the cardio comes after.
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My boot camp: M is mainly cardio with a little strength training, say 75/25, W about 50/50, and F is about 75/25 strength training.
  • Nomoregrainsjustgains
    Options
    Cool thanks. All tips and advice are appreciated
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fine. I do weights first then finish off with a 15-20 min run.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Yep! Mon/wed/fri I run first then lift.
  • Nomoregrainsjustgains
    Options
    Brill. Taking my training to another level
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I cardio in the morning, lift in the early evening.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I find that if I am doing an easy run in the evening I can do a decent bit of strength training. However, the other day I did a challenging kettle bell class, and that evening I went on 5 mile fast paced run, and it blew up in my face. The kettlebell class was definitely detrimental to my running performance, and in fact it messed up my times for the next 3 days, because of my running schedule left no time for additional recovery. So like someone said above the intensity and your goals for the two should influence whether or not you do both.
  • Nomoregrainsjustgains
    Options
    Brill thank you
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I did weights this am (around 6am) and i'll swim tonight when I get home from work (7pm or so)
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Of course it is, as long as you take the overall volume and intensity of training into consideration. I typically lift prior to cardio, but do what works for you.
  • Nomoregrainsjustgains
    Options
    Brilliant thank you
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I run at 5:30 a.m. and lift around 9:00 a.m. (I do both on the same day 4 days a week).
  • Nomoregrainsjustgains
    Options
    I like the sound of that. The other three I could do some yoga or pilates off youtube and have one full rest day
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Depends a lot on intensity and what your body is used to. I once went to a strength-based conditioning class and felt great after that was over, so I immediately ran 3 miles. I was used to running that distance frequently, but not used to the class. I could barely walk for days after that! Now I try to get in a walk on my strength training days, and save the running for the next day.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I do this. I lift first, though. Then I will walk on the treadmill or do the elliptical for 30 minutes to get some cardio.