making a desktop wireless?

Options
Right now my desktop is connected to the modem and stuck in one spot in the house - Is there a way to make my desktop wireless so I can move it upstairs ? if so what do I need to do this and I want a REALLY good whatever I need lol not a cheap thing that will fall apart.

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    yup just go to WM, BB or wherever you buy your electronics and get a USB wireless adapter. Plug it in, load the drivers and BAM, you're wireless.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    yup just go to WM, BB or wherever you buy your electronics and get a USB wireless adapter. Plug it in, load the drivers and BAM, you're wireless.

that. or if its new it might already have wireless built in
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    Is there a good one vs bad I mean BB normally sells you top of line most expensive stuff or is there something on Amazon I could get ? Whats the difference between wireless adaptor and Card?
  • georgiag111
    Options

that. or if its new it might already have wireless built in

How can i tell my computer is about 4 years old at the time was a VERY top of the line gaming computer so "maybe" ??
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Is there a good one vs bad I mean BB normally sells you top of line most expensive stuff or is there something on Amazon I could get ? Whats the difference between wireless adaptor and Card?

wireless card = you have to open up your desktop and put it in
    the usb you just stick in. you might need to change your router though
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options

Depending on how far away you want to move it - the USB wireless should work great - I tend to suggest that people always buy the same brand as their modem/router - if you don't know the brand - go with Netgear or Linksys

Also - if you want better range - you can buy a card to plug into the computer (if you feel comfortable doing so) - they tend to have a better antenna on them, but honestly - the USB model is probably fine :)

Shoot me a message if you have more questions - I'd be happy to help... I've been geekin' it for over 20 years now as a profession :sigh: Really need a life :P lol
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I made my roommates desktop wireless and the USB to do it was only about $30 and I got it from BB. You don't need anything fancy or expensive. It's quite simple. Good luck to you!
  • georgiag111
    Options

Depending on how far away you want to move it - the USB wireless should work great - I tend to suggest that people always buy the same brand as their modem/router - if you don't know the brand - go with Netgear or Linksys

Also - if you want better range - you can buy a card to plug into the computer (if you feel comfortable doing so) - they tend to have a better antenna on them, but honestly - the USB model is probably fine :)

Shoot me a message if you have more questions - I'd be happy to help... I've been geekin' it for over 20 years now as a profession :sigh: Really need a life :P lol

Well then you seem like the Geek I need HAHA! So sending you a message THANK YOU SO MUCH!
  • georgiag111
    Options
    Also THANK YOU EVERYONE for taking the time out for answering this truly appreciate it!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    A card will require opening the case and installing the card. An adapter (typically meaning USB) just plugs in to a USB slot.

This one is $37 on Amazon. Netgear is not terrible, but not enterprise grade either.
    http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-N-150-Adapter-WNA1100/dp/tags-on-product/B0036R9XRU
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    If her computer is only four years old, it probably is hard wired to be wireless enabled.

Then all she needs is a $30 wirelss router from BB or anywhere. (Belkin has a good one)

Technically they're ALL adapters but a card goes inside the machine whereas the USB one just plugs in. I picked up a Belkin Basic for fairly cheap and haven't had a problem with it.
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    Check Newegg.com before you buy.
  • georgiag111
    Options
    I have Router already ( we have laptops, cellphones the WII etc all on our Linskys modem router thing ) Looking at it now we have netopia for our Internet through Iowa Telecom and Linskys Wireless G 2.4 GHZ router
  • mommachef
    mommachef Posts: 52
    Options
    Do you already have a wireless router? If not, you need that first.

Then you need to see if your computer is already wireless enabled. If not, you need to buy an adapter. I think we've already covered that in this post.

Good luck!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    How can i tell my computer is about 4 years old at the time was a VERY top of the line gaming computer so "maybe" ??

Look in the Device Manager (find it through the Control Panel) and look under Network Adapters, see if anything is labelled wireless or Wi-Fi.
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options

Now click the "Hardware" tab and then click "Device Manager" button. You should be able to see if a wireless device shows up in there.

computeryq.jpg