How do you weigh an artichoke for calorie counting purposes?

Options
Sorry if this is a silly question.

I usually weigh produce raw before I cook it because it's the most accurate way to determine the calories for me, but I'm not sure how to accurately count calories for an artichoke. I like to steam them, eat the 'meat' from the bottom of the leaves, cut out the choke and then eat the heart. Since the bulk of artichoke is actually discarded and not eaten, I'm not sure what/when to weigh. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. :)

Replies

• JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    That is a $64,000 question!
    I had the same question a few days ago and never got a good answer. I went to the California Artichoke Advisory board and they had data on the "meat only". What if you were to weight the boiled Artichoke before you ate it, we'll say it weighs 150g then weigh the discarded leaves etc after, say they weigh 75g the difference would be 75g and base your cals, carbs etc. off of that, no?
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Weigh it before you eat it. Weigh the leftover bits when you are done. Difference = what you ate.
  • nespoIa
    nespoIa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks both of you. I'm getting some artichokes in my farm box next week and didn't want to avoid eating them because I couldn't accurately log them. They are so fresh and delicious in the spring! I will look up the calories for 'meat only' and then weigh the cooked artichokes before and after I eat them. :)