Ideas for how to handle vacation

Options
Hi there, I'm nervous because I've been doing really well on my diet and losing weight but I'm traveling for work to Paris for a week and then doing a 10 day family vacation in Ireland. Any ideas on how not to undo everything I've worked for doing those 3 weeks? I won't be able to cook much as we'll be staying in hotels most of the time. I think there might be a kitchen for 3 days of the whole trip. Ugh. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Have fun...practice some self control...but mostly enjoy. It's just a couple weeks out of your entire life...not particularly relevant.

I've never gained actual weight (fat) on vacation...I'm way more active than I am in my day to day at home even if I'm not doing any deliberate exercise...I'm walking around and seeing this and that and whatnot. I also typically only have two or three meals per day and don't do much snacking, etc...usually I drop a couple pounds whether I want to or not on vacation.

Don't sweat it...have fun and enjoy.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Be a tourist and see all the sights! If you're out to eat, stop when you're full, but enjoy your vacation, visit the museums, see the sights, stay on your feet as much as you can. One of my close friends went to Italy for 3 weeks a while back so that involved all you can eat pasta every single day but she actually lost weight while there because her group would walk and enjoy the views instead of calling a cab.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Walk lots.

Eat what you like

Get back to a deficit after your holiday.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    I went away recently, healthy options were very limited (most vegetables were covered in butter, oil or batter, yuk!), I ate a boiled egg and a plain Greek yogurt for breakfast, 1-2 boiled eggs or 50g-100g edamame beans for lunch, and sashimi with edamame beans or chicken breast (I hate salad, but it would be a good option to go with the chicken breast) for dinner.

Maybe look for options on the menu that are close to what you eat at home, or eat what you like and begin again when you get home.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Their meals they serve are SMALLER than what they do in the US. Also, when I go on vacation I still workout out regularly. You main gain a little, but eat in portions like you do at home.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mfreetofly2017
    mfreetofly2017 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, it is true when I'm on vacation I usually walk so much that it doesn't result in as much weight gain so thanks for reminding me of that. I think I'll try and pack my own breakfast and only eat out twice a day so it's not so bad.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control is your friend. You don't have to eat everything put in front of you.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If you eating below your cal you won't be adding weight. As far exercise goes, if you have any resistance bands you can workout in the hotel room. If you have air sealed tight container you can prep your food.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Stick to your plan carefully the couple weeks before vacation so eating less feels normal.

You could shop in local supermarkets for lunches and snacks, things like crackers, bread, fruit, canned or packaged tuna will last at least a couple days without a fridge, and you could grab some cheese/meat that day if you want it. In addition to being healthier it's usually cheaper and quicker to pack lunches and also fun to explore the local supermarket selection!

Also, like at home you'll probably try some foods that you'll love and some that will be meh...If you love what you're eating I say go for it, but don't waste calories on something less exciting.

Also you'll probably have weird weight fluctuations the few days off the plane from dehydration (I always weigh about a pound less the day after flying then gain maybe three of water weight), but then it'll settle in a few days.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    When on holidays, enjoying the food is part of the experience for me. That said, I am fussy - I don't have a free for all, if it's something unique I'll have it, but I don't overindulge on normal things I can eat anywhere.

I generally try to walk everywhere - you can see so much more on foot than public transport/taxi. I usually skip breakfast to save calories for later. I make sensible choices if something amazing isn't available.