Body Analyser Scales

Options
Hey

I have just bought a body analyser scales on a recommendation. They seem great, they tell me my weight, plus BMI etc etc. They also measure your BMR. I've got these because on discussion with a friend she couldn't believe how little I was consuming and said it may be why I feel fatigued.

So my BMR has come out at 1600. I work in childcare so am on my feet most of the day. I also exercise for approx 30 mins each day. My Fitbit said I was averaging 2000 calories a day (obviously this works itself out) when I was walking for 60 minutes a day (no strenuous exercise).

I'm a little confused as to where to go - myfitnesspal says I should be on just 1200 and although I don't struggle as such, most folk are gobsmacked considering the exercise I do and job I'm in.

What do you think?

TIA

Replies

• BeckThePenguin
    BeckThePenguin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is based on if you stayed in bed all day, how many calories you'd burn. So to stay alive you would need to replenish that amount of calories.
    It would depend on how much weight you are trying to lose/gain as to how many calories you would need to consume to reach your goals. As well as the types of calories, etc.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal will also give you fewer calories if you choose to lose weight faster. Unless you have a *long* way to go, 1/2 lb or 1 lb per week is usually sufficient. I've lost 12 lbs switching between 1/2 lb and maintenance. Being able to keep going with it (80+ days and counting!) is more important to me than losing the weight as soon as possible.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    What did you set your activity level and weekly weight loss goal at?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    JD0710 wrote: »
    Hey

I have just bought a body analyser scales on a recommendation. They seem great, they tell me my weight, plus BMI etc etc. They also measure your BMR. I've got these because on discussion with a friend she couldn't believe how little I was consuming and said it may be why I feel fatigued.

So my BMR has come out at 1600. I work in childcare so am on my feet most of the day. I also exercise for approx 30 mins each day. My Fitbit said I was averaging 2000 calories a day (obviously this works itself out) when I was walking for 60 minutes a day (no strenuous exercise).

I'm a little confused as to where to go - myfitnesspal says I should be on just 1200 and although I don't struggle as such, most folk are gobsmacked considering the exercise I do and job I'm in.

What do you think?

TIA

those scales tend to be highly inaccurate
  • JD0710
    JD0710 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I set my activity level at lightly active and 2lb per week. I have now changed activity level to active and it's come out at 1390 calories which sounds a bit more like it... thanks for asking this as I just couldn't work out why it was so low when I was so active and having not touched the activity level since I first downloaded this app I had forgotten I actually could!!
  • JD0710
    Options
    Hey

What do you think?

TIA

That wasn't my question.

• Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Test it out. Eat at your new calculated maintenance, minus 10%, for a week or two. If you lose a little and don't gain then you know with a high level of confidence what your maintenance calories are.

MFP calculates mine too low (2200). Based on Fitbit, I burn an average of 3580 calories per day (ranging from 3000 to 4000 on most days). If I keep my activity level moderate and eat at 3250 I maintain or lose a little. I calculate my deficits based on 3500.

I'm 6'0 238 lb male ~ 22% body fat.

I was 310 lbs ~ 34% body fat
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    To have a BMR of 1600 you have to be a tiny woman. How tall are you?
    Also, what 'weight loss goal' did you tell mfp?
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    What's your current height and weight?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I set my activity level at lightly active and 2lb per week. I have now changed activity level to active and it's come out at 1390 calories which sounds a bit more like it... thanks for asking this as I just couldn't work out why it was so low when I was so active and having not touched the activity level since I first downloaded this app I had forgotten I actually could!!
    You've set yourself to lose a lot each week. I know that 2lbs a week is the first figure that comes to mind when someone considers weight loss for the first time, but that's actually not necessarily a safe goal. One way to calculate safe goals is to aim to lose no more than 1% of your bodyweight a week, which means that only people starting out at well over 200lbs should aim for 2lbs a week, and they need to drop their target once they drop underneath 200.

Given you're feeling fatigued, I'll guess that 2lbs isn't a safe goal for you!

If you want to lose that much a week, you will have a tiny (in my greedy opinion) calorie limit a day. That's the way maths works.

• JD0710
    Options
    I'm 5ft 1 and 82.5kg. Am looking to drop to about 67kg or less.

I'm just generally confused by it all to be honest so was hoping someone could point me in the right direction or tell me I'm in the right direction already!!
  • JD0710
    Options
    Thanks for help so far by the way. Very much appreciated.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hey

What do you think?

TIA

That wasn't my question.

ok,just letting you know that they arent accurate so if you use them with mfp some of the numbers will be skewed
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    In that case, 2lbs is more than 1% of your bodyweight.
    *is frontrunner for the coveted Stating the Obvious in a Thread Award 2017*

If you decide to change your goal, you could reduce it to 1lb (approximately 0.45kg) or change units to kg and pick 0.5kg.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    To have a BMR of 1600 you have to be a tiny woman. How tall are you?
    Also, what 'weight loss goal' did you tell mfp?

Wha??? A BMR of 1600 is super high for most women. That's maintenance calories for most. My BMR is 1340 only because I have decent muscle mass. My calculated BMR is only 1000.

OP, the advice to try eating at the higher numbers and see what happens is sound advice. You will be able to dial in the right daily caloric amount by trial and error.