What makes you lose momentum?

Options
As I sit here eating a bag of mini eggs after a not so great week of nutrition and exercise (my issue is getting back on the saddle), I thought I would reach out and see what you guys think causes you to derail and what you think you could do to avoid it?

Replies

• figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I can definitely understand the "f**k-it" mentality, but I really like the Harry Potter reference. Keeping yourself accountable no matter what
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Gravity
  • wiremog
    wiremog Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Booze is always my '*kitten* it' trigger. Time to scale it right back!
  • wiremog
    wiremog Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Haha! Kitten it?! Oh MFP, you're cute.
    93873528 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it's the idea that you just need the motivation to do it but motivation is a lie. There is a term called "ego depletion" that explains you can only push yourself so far until your motivation collapses and you find yourself eating a bag of mini-eggs.

I believe you need to replace old habits with new habits, find support to keep you accountable, and make a decision to change.

I'd encourage you to watch the video "why motivation is garbage" by Mel Robbins
  • ellengiller
    ellengiller Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Holidays, travel, any shakeup to routine. Getting familiar and complacent... what gets me back on; the personal rewards for being conscious of diet and strong through exercise. My "community" of mfp friends motivate me-feel free to add!
  • justkris_gettingfit
    justkris_gettingfit Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Stress knocks me off and it takes me about a week (or two depending on how bad it is) to get back on. I'm definitely a stress eater, and its something I'm trying desperately to change.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The loss of the perception of being in control is my most recently discovered demotivator.
    https://despair.com/
  • amiraammora
    amiraammora Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I lose momentum when I am feeling down or when I have stress
  • rungirl0582
    rungirl0582 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me, there's a couple of things:
    1) I get to a place where I feel great, clothes fit great, etc. and I start to slip up.
    2) The "all or nothing" mentality (I've let this one go for the most part): if one meal isn't great, it rolls into the next, I skip a workout, etc. The thought that the day is ruined, the week, the month, etc.

I have embraced that health/fitness is the outcome of putting one foot in front of the other and not stopping. It's habits. It isn't one meal, it's what we do the majority of the time.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's weird, I really lost momentum this past week. My workouts have been pretty lack luster and honestly, I think it was lack of support from my significant​ other. I'm trying to stay away from alcohol because of the calories and he encouraged me to drink on our night off... And yesterday I drank as well for Easter dinner. I felt extremely guilty for last week and especially yesterday. Trying to get my momentum back this week. This is for me. Not anyone else.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Struggling with my mental health and just getting tired.

I've got hopefully the last 16.6 pounds left to go. I've gained a pound then lost the same pound for a month maybe. When I get really low I struggle to stick with my gym plan- and I honestly skipped 20 days. This last bit seems a bit impossible, even though I've already lost double this amount already. One pound at a time.
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When I go away for a few days.. Especially when I travel to Montreal.. The food is sooo good..... But when I get home I'm right back to eating right and working out... So it almost balances out..lol
  • airica25
    airica25 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    holidays, getting angry, sadness, hormones. Those are all my buttons. Sometimes its "Oh I can celebrate because I have lost X pounds!" Sometimes its just plain ol "I am so tired of trying so hard and having no results." I am off and on the wagon all the time. Sometimes its just feeling like I am starving to death and I would rather grab some crackers instead of making something healthy. I often forget those oranges in the fridge. "They" say usually people usually do good for about 2 weeks. I was thinking of a plan that would let me do 2 weeks on then I am not sure how long off... maybe a weekend? We got rid of all the snacks, and desserts. Just trying to be healthy, I would say I am not doing that great but I have lost 7 pounds and my husband has lost 17. little steps I guess...
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great stuff here.

"Good enough" Constant vigilance" "Motivation is a lie"

I don't think motivation is a lie, I just think it's hugely overrated and takes away from the real issue- determination. Agree that good habits will see you through most of the time but you have to keep your guard up. Good habits need to be defended. When you catch yourself mindlessly eating candy, the answer is the trash can.

Determination sees a project through to the end.
    Want to lose 50 lbs because your knees hurt. You lose 30 and they quit hurting. Now what?

You're flying high because 25 lbs seemed to melt away, the next 15 not so much. Determination time.
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Self pity and pizza. I wish I was kidding.

If something is going on that makes me feel sorry for myself, I want to eat and eat. I know it's not healthy but food makes me happy. There is almost nothing better than snuggling up in a blanket and eating alone. Maybe it's because I'm a busy mom? I rarely get time to myself or food that I don't have to share so being in a quiet, comfortable place with some warm food just fills me with comfort and happiness.

Also, pizza. I love it and I can't seem to stop at a piece...or two.

Last night I was feeling sad for a variety of reasons and then I got a knock on the door and it was the pizza delivery guy. My husband had ordered me a pizza because him and 2 of our kids were out at a wrestling show. I got a blanket, put in my Pushing Daisies dvd, and ate 4 pieces.