Keep losing or tone up?

Options
Hi guys.
So I've lost about 46 pounds but I am still noticeably overweight. I currently weigh 118 and I'm 5'1. My doctor told me not to go below 110 because it wouldn't be healthy, so my question is should I lose 8 more pounds and hope that, that's enough for my stomach to get flatter (then start weights) or just go ahead and start weight lifting more and toning up since that can decrease my body fat?
Is it also really hard to get a flat stomach after being overweight for basically your whole life?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    This is why it is suggested to start lifting WHILE you lose weight.

For your height you can dip down to 110-115 and be at a healthy weight for sure. That's fine unless there is some other medical reason why your doctor doesn't want you to.

You can achieve a flatter stomach, yes. Start lifting.
  • 0neel0vee
    0neel0vee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been doing machine weights since I started losing weight (although not as consistently just 2x per week), does it make a difference machines vs. Free weights?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    0neel0vee wrote: »
    I've been doing machine weights since I started losing weight (although not as consistently just 2x per week), does it make a difference machines vs. Free weights?

Yes it does. You do not get the same range of motion from machines. But they're better than nothing. Really you should have a full body routine, with a progressive overload (the program gets harder for you by adding weight, reps, or sets). 3x per week is best.
  • 0neel0vee
    0neel0vee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!