Happy Easter - I'm thinking 5000 calories today, and totally worth every bite

Options

Replies

• panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Well as an update Brunch was awesome as expected, I enjoyed everything I wanted to try. I will probably end up somewhere around 4500 today. It's all good though because I plan out my calories on a monthly level, and I always make sure to identify any days I think I will go over because of holidays, celebrations, nights out etc. I actually planned for 5000 today, so I am going to have an extra 500 for my monthly deficit, not too bad
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't really binge like that because I feel sick if I eat loads and loads. But I do go over a little on food holidays, just not by THAT much! LOL. Enjoy your day! :D
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    I had no idea people feasted so much on Easter. This is just a normal Sunday for me and my house.

Same here. The only way my family ever celebrated easter was by giving me a chocolate bunny and a new toy back when I was still a kid. Now it's just kind of annoying since everything around where I live is closed due to the holiday (except for restaurants) and I can't get anything done outside of the house on my only day off from work.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »
    Well as an update Brunch was awesome as expected, I enjoyed everything I wanted to try. I will probably end up somewhere around 4500 today. It's all good though because I plan out my calories on a monthly level, and I always make sure to identify any days I think I will go over because of holidays, celebrations, nights out etc. I actually planned for 5000 today, so I am going to have an extra 500 for my monthly deficit, not too bad

I also look at my maintenance on a monthly basis. I over indulged Friday and Saturday. Eating at a deficit today. I'm actually looking forward to my veggies and lean meats after two days of debauchery.
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I was good until I had homemade peach Cobbler an vanilla ice cream first time in 40 days I was over. So no worries
  • boopster99
    boopster99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    MichSmish wrote: »
    I had no idea people feasted so much on Easter. This is just a normal Sunday for me and my house.

Same.

It's actually tomorrow that I'm planning to eat more calories than today. All that chocolate is going to be 50% off :blush:

Ditto! :p
  • zharptichka
    zharptichka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I had planned on trying to keep it below 4000 but I gave up meat for Lent and so I had a lot of it today and definitely hit a wall earlier than expected (upside I stopped at that point. There was a time I would have continued till I felt actually sick). I've clocked in at 2687 and I doubt I'll have anything else before I go to bed, even the 45 minute walk did not make me want to eat anything. Fortunately I did strategize and took only my favorite things first so when I ran out of room there wasn't the impulse to keep going.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I had planned on trying to keep it below 4000 but I gave up meat for Lent and so I had a lot of it today and definitely hit a wall earlier than expected (upside I stopped at that point. There was a time I would have continued till I felt actually sick). I've clocked in at 2687 and I doubt I'll have anything else before I go to bed, even the 45 minute walk did not make me want to eat anything. Fortunately I did strategize and took only my favorite things first so when I ran out of room there wasn't the impulse to keep going.

I did the same thing, I am at about 3900 right now for the day but I am actually pretty sure I overestimated how much I ate. I didn't weigh anything as we were at a restaurant, and I did take a big variety of things but there were a lot of things I only took a couple of bites of because I wanted to be able to try it all. I'd rather over estimate then under so I was pretty generous with my logging. I hit a wall though too. I didn't feel overstuffed sick, but I knew it was time to stop. I did my normal workout this morning and then took a nice long walk after lunch. I feel pretty good now and if I eat anything else tonight it will be pretty light.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Just a Sunday eating lunch out with part of the family. No young children in the group so no special candy or chocolate needed. There was desert after dinner but I just got a spoon full of cheese cake and two cups of coffee. Still calories left for dinner. Darn I have to cook!.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Normally, I do not do anything on Easter. This year, I was invited to a friends home with about 20 of her friends.

I am sure that I will be over my daily calories by the end of the day, but not by a horrible amount. The sodium is another story. I live a low sodium lifestyle, so when I have some I feel it for a day or two.

A couple of photos. I made the appetizers in the first photo. Endive filled with egg salad, cherry tomatoes, black olives, parsley and a boiled egg slice.

lwpqqnzx2t89.jpg
    qoqqt78kgeki.jpg
    qyu7nfnjiuas.jpg

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ^ Wow, that looks fancy. Worth every calorie, I presume? ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I didn't count. Probably 3200 calories for me or something? I didn't really care, to be honest, and skipped dinner. Ate a very small meal actually but I had two cinnamon rolls, some cheese, and 3 (small) pieces of dessert.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I was proud of myself yesterday. My family basically cooks a huge Thanksgiving-type meal which we eat twice that day! (Once at noon, then reheat everything for a dinner around 6). There were tons of desserts and little to no vegetables that weren't made with ham-hock (yuck) Pretty much nothing low-cal or healthy...turkey, stuffing, potatoes, gravy...you get the idea. I helped myself to most everything, but in really small portions. I did have stuffing which is my absolute favorite (I could eat an entire plate of it) but just about 1/4 of a cup. Instead of dessert I had a cup of mixed fruit but I did have one bite of cake. I did this for lunch and dinner. While I didn't log any calories, I'm pretty confident that I didn't go over my calories for the day. (Especially since I did an hour walk in the AM). I felt satisfied and full all day and not stuffed. Plus I resisted all of my kids' Easter candy! I considered the day a success.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I love Easter and my family is going to an Easter Brunch that is known to be simply amazing!! I am one of those on that in holidays I choose to eat as much as I want of whatever I want. I plan for it ahead of time to make sure it doesn't undo all of my hard work for the month and it's always totally worth it! I'm planning on 5000 calories today when it's all said and done. What is everyone else planning on??

I used the recipe builder to figure out how many calories were ACTUALLY in my signature chocolate cake and . . . . the news was shocking, lol. Clocked in at around 700 calories for a slice (including the homemade buttercream), but considering that I wrote the recipe to serve 12, and the slices ended up being smaller than that, I guess that's good news, lol? Luckily I only pull out this cake on special occasions, because I feel zero guilt for indulging!

All total, I ended up about 400 calories over my daily goal of 1850, which wasn't too bad, and it was still within my weekly goals, as I left out bed time snacks (94 kcals each) and a bottle of wine (600 kcals) over the course of the week. I'm starting to realize that THIS is how all of my this friends and family have always enjoyed holiday feasts and special occasions and stayed thin! They enjoy time with loved ones, eat all the delicious foods, and make small adjustments in the days before and after so that it all evens out in the long run. I can totally do this ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Hi everyone!! I love Easter and my family is going to an Easter Brunch that is known to be simply amazing!! I am one of those on that in holidays I choose to eat as much as I want of whatever I want. I plan for it ahead of time to make sure it doesn't undo all of my hard work for the month and it's always totally worth it! I'm planning on 5000 calories today when it's all said and done. What is everyone else planning on??

I used the recipe builder to figure out how many calories were ACTUALLY in my signature chocolate cake and . . . . the news was shocking, lol. Clocked in at around 700 calories for a slice (including the homemade buttercream), but considering that I wrote the recipe to serve 12, and the slices ended up being smaller than that, I guess that's good news, lol? Luckily I only pull out this cake on special occasions, because I feel zero guilt for indulging!

All total, I ended up about 400 calories over my daily goal of 1850, which wasn't too bad, and it was still within my weekly goals, as I left out bed time snacks (94 kcals each) and a bottle of wine (600 kcals) over the course of the week. I'm starting to realize that THIS is how all of my this friends and family have always enjoyed holiday feasts and special occasions and stayed thin! They enjoy time with loved ones, eat all the delicious foods, and make small adjustments in the days before and after so that it all evens out in the long run. I can totally do this ;)

It's really empowering when you figure that out, isn't it? That it's possible to still eat delicious foods, and achieve your goals - by being mindful, sensible, and pragmatic about your choices. That losing weight doesn't have to be a miserable experience. That there is room for homemade chocolate cake with buttercream frosting AND nutrient dense choices (washed down with wine!).

Good for you!
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Scale is up 2 ounces this morning, which is actually less than what I typically see on a Monday (which is normally my highest weigh-in day of the week). I ate a lot of food, but I kept things pretty controlled yet (150 calories worth of caramel chocolate bunny, instead of the whole bag etc). Most of my calories yesterday actually came from a 7-layer salad. The dressing was a calorie bomb but it was amazing! I had 2 servings at lunch and then a very large serving for supper :# .
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    My Easter meal included the same breakfast my mom used to make when I was a kid:

Sara Lee Butter Streusel coffee cake
    Scrambled Eggs
    Link Sausage

Then we went to Mass, a neighborhood egg hunt, and I took the dog for a walk. Skipped lunch.

Evening meal at inlaws, I was in charge of appetizers. I made:
    Cashew Chicken Dip (seriously one of my favorite cold dips ever)
    Cheese, Crackers, Salami and Venison Summer Sausage
    Proscuitto wrapped asparagus

We also had:
    Spiral ham and sandwich fixings
    Green Beans with Ham Hock
    Salad
    Pasta con broccoli (I skipped)
    Dessert: chocolate bunny cake with powdered sugar
    Beer and Wine
    Assorted Chocolates from Kid Baskets

I topped 2000 calories but didn't get my FitBit adjustment so I think I was actually under cals for the day. I wasn't feeling well from allergies so I didn't eat as much as normal - bummer!

I also wasn't up as much on the scale as I thought from all the sodium I consumed (sausage, ham, salami oh my!).

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

It's really empowering when you figure that out, isn't it? That it's possible to still eat delicious foods, and achieve your goals - by being mindful, sensible, and pragmatic about your choices. That losing weight doesn't have to be a miserable experience. That there is room for homemade chocolate cake with buttercream frosting AND nutrient dense choices (washed down with wine!).

Good for you!

It also doesn't hurt to leave the leftover cake at the host's home for their family to indulge more in, instead of me ;).
    Seriously, though - yes, it's VERY empowering! I think I've finally figured it out this time around. I've been losing about a 1.5/wk for the past 2+ months without feeling like I'm on a diet. I've tried in the past, and the whole idea of "lifestyle change" never clicked for me because I was trying to change into a lifestyle that didn't work for me. I would look at the people around me who were Paleo, or Low Carb, or Low something else, or This Shake or That Shake, or ultra low cal, or Vegetarians, or booze-avoiders, or yogi health nuts, or whatever, and wonder why they could do it and I couldn't. The answer was that those lifestyles weren't right FOR ME, just like 1400 calories a day isn't going to work FOR ME. I have a lot to lose, but I'm also active (fingers crossed that I can stay injury free and STAY active) and tall, so 1850 is a happy way to lose a lot and still not feel deprived of anything, as long as I'm mindful that I can't have everything everyday. If I want to have a fudge round and wine for dinner around TOM, I can and I can still lose, and it won't derail anything if I'm mindful about the rest of my week (and get those nutrients in!). That was a light-bulb moment for me. The biggest revelation is that after about a month, I stopped wanting all the junky things that I was trying to resist in the first place. That stuff just didn't satisfy me anymore. When I started meal planning, I would include a chocolate or cookie for the afternoon, because I thought that I would need a little "treat" to get through the day. Turns out that 90% of the time, I don't. When I occasionally want something sweet mid-afternoon, I can either have the candy or something like dried fruit, and I'll pick "nature's candy" at least 1/2 the time. I was conditioned to eat a certain way. I'm just now learning that I don't HAVE to keep doing that.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Good for you!

It also doesn't hurt to leave the leftover cake at the host's home for their family to indulge more in, instead of me ;).
    Seriously, though - yes, it's VERY empowering! I think I've finally figured it out this time around. I've been losing about a 1.5/wk for the past 2+ months without feeling like I'm on a diet. I've tried in the past, and the whole idea of "lifestyle change" never clicked for me because I was trying to change into a lifestyle that didn't work for me. I would look at the people around me who were Paleo, or Low Carb, or Low something else, or This Shake or That Shake, or ultra low cal, or Vegetarians, or booze-avoiders, or yogi health nuts, or whatever, and wonder why they could do it and I couldn't. The answer was that those lifestyles weren't right FOR ME, just like 1400 calories a day isn't going to work FOR ME. I have a lot to lose, but I'm also active (fingers crossed that I can stay injury free and STAY active) and tall, so 1850 is a happy way to lose a lot and still not feel deprived of anything, as long as I'm mindful that I can't have everything everyday. If I want to have a fudge round and wine for dinner around TOM, I can and I can still lose, and it won't derail anything if I'm mindful about the rest of my week (and get those nutrients in!). That was a light-bulb moment for me. The biggest revelation is that after about a month, I stopped wanting all the junky things that I was trying to resist in the first place. That stuff just didn't satisfy me anymore. When I started meal planning, I would include a chocolate or cookie for the afternoon, because I thought that I would need a little "treat" to get through the day. Turns out that 90% of the time, I don't. When I occasionally want something sweet mid-afternoon, I can either have the candy or something like dried fruit, and I'll pick "nature's candy" at least 1/2 the time. I was conditioned to eat a certain way. I'm just now learning that I don't HAVE to keep doing that.

request-five.gif