Strange problem

Options
Does anyone else have a problem with one leg being bigger than the other? My right leg, both calf and thigh, are thicker than my left. I am dominant on my right side, and I've never really noticed this issue until this weight loss journey. It makes me very self conscious. Does anyone else have this issue? Ideas on how to correct it? HELP!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nobody is completely symmetrical. My right foot is about 1" longer than my left. My left upper arm is longer than my right even though my entire arms are pretty much even. My right arm (dominant arm) seems to lean out sooner than my left. My left calf has more muscle definition than my right.

Don't obsess over minutiae.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have that. The chiropractor told me it was because my right leg is shorter than my left. It's slightly larger than the left because it does more work. I never really noticed other than pants are always tighter on the right leg.

When I saw the Chiro, she noted that my left leg was atrophied (which I think is sort of amusing considering at the time I was able to back squat over 200 pounds). She took a picture, and after thinking about it it made sense to me. My right leg leads which allows the left dragged behind. It has made me more aware when I'm exercising to engage the left.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you exercise do things that are unilateral as one of your exercises. Meaning do things that require you work a single leg at a time. Bulgarian split squats, split squats, lunges, box step ups. It forces each leg to do the same amount of work rather than your body shifting the load to the stronger leg.

It is very normal to have an asymmetrical body or to lose weight lopsided. One of my biceps is noticeably larger than the other. When I measure I only measure one side of my body.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yep, if i have a problem or weirdness it'll be on my right side!

My right leg is bigger than my left.
    My right boob is bigger than my left one.
    My right knee dislocates, my left one is fine.
    I used to have eczema/dry skin on my stomach, but it only affected my right side, the left side had no dry skin.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Don't obsess over minutiae.
    What does a French ballroom dance have to do with this? :o

:smiley:
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My right ankle is bigger than my left 95% of the time. Noticeably bigger.

My Dr says that it is due to blood flow from that foot. I am not sold on that, even though I have been told that by the two previous Drs as well.

Drives me nuts, because there are days when I cannot wear certain shoes.
  • xmissxamyx
    xmissxamyx Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    my left calf was at one stage a full 2 inches bigger than my right. It was quite noticeable if I was wearing tight pants, and there was even a pair of jeans I had that split on the left calf only, and a pair of pants I could not even wear because they were to tight on the left calf and every time I tried to walk they would get kind of caught on my left leg and twist around. Since I've lost weight it's become less of an issue, it's not only half and inch or so bigger than the other leg.
    when I do exercises that focus on the legs I try to make a conscious effort not to rely on my left leg, I think it's because I am left handed so the left side of my body is the more dominate side for me.
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My left calf in bigger than my right. I never notice it unless I'm buying new knee high boots. Some will fit one leg and be too tight to pull over the calf on the other.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Happens all the time. Don't feel self conscious, many people have uneven body parts. But you'd never notice cause you're not looking for that when you're talking to someone. Which means chances are most people won't notice that about you either.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    one side it bigger than the other for me as well. boob and leg.deciding what size of bra to wear was a big issue. one boob would spill and the other would fit nicely, or one would fit nicely and the other had a lot of empty space.same with pants. one leg stretching the pants,the other leg comfortably fitting. I think most people are not 100% symmetrical.
  • bethmeline
    bethmeline Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It doesn't necessarily bother me. I guess I am glad to know it's normal and not something to be concerned with!
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you draw a vertical line down your face at the nose you will see two different sides and most people are not symmetrical even with their eyes (shape, level, size). If we did have perfectly symmetrical faces we would look too fake and off in my opinion.
    My right foot is bigger so I always try on shoes on my right side. If my pants get too tight I notice it on one thigh first, not both since one is larger. Although that could be badly cut fabric. My wrists are quite different and even my fingers are all different sizes. I try not to let it bother me, but I am also conscious doing exercise to work both sides and not get my stronger side pick up all the slack.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    bethmeline wrote: »
    Does anyone else have a problem with one leg being bigger than the other? My right leg, both calf and thigh, are thicker than my left. I am dominant on my right side, and I've never really noticed this issue until this weight loss journey. It makes me very self conscious. Does anyone else have this issue? Ideas on how to correct it? HELP!

My right calf has always been a half inch larger than my left one. I don't worry about it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    My left leg is larger than my right leg because of a blood clot I had almost 3 years ago.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,841 Member
    Options
    My left leg is larger than my right leg because of a blood clot I had almost 3 years ago.

Yep ... me too.

First, I burned my left foot to the bone in 2001 and damaged my circulatory system.

Then in 2009, I developed DVT in my left leg. My leg was chockers full of clots ... shut down the main circulatory system entirely.

Since then, my left leg has been slightly bigger than my right.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Yep ... me too.

First, I burned my left foot to the bone in 2001 and damaged my circulatory system.

Then in 2009, I developed DVT in my left leg. My leg was chockers full of clots ... shut down the main circulatory system entirely.

Since then, my left leg has been slightly bigger than my right.

Dag, yo. I had a hip-to-ankle blood clot that developed the day after abdominal surgery. My doc says some of the smaller blood valves are probably damaged and my left leg will always be slightly larger because of it.