FIBER ONE BARS

Options
Could somebody reccommend a good fiber one bar for me please and thank you!?? :wink:

Replies

• mssweetjay
    mssweetjay Posts: 142
    Options
    I like the 90 cal peanut butter chocolate bars
  • blbradford87
    Options
    their brownies! de - freakin - lish! and only 90 calories!
  • avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I get the Fiberplus antioxidants! I couldn't stand fiber one.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I like the chocolate & oats and the brownie is pretty good.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate and peanut butter flavors of the original bars. I can't remember if I tried caramel. Strawberry was disappointing. Both of the 90 calorie bars are really good. The brownies were nothing special, a little dry and crumbly, kind of blah flavor.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Mocha Chocolate

Fiber Plus Peanut Butter Chocolate
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    oats and chocolate. i hate the fiber plus bars, gross
  • AlexsLifestyleChange
    Options
    I agree, peanut butter chocolate ones are the BESTTTT! Only 90 calories :)
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I avoid those as they have so much junk in them. I'd opt to make your own, but I know it's so convenient having something already made. Try Clif Bars or something that has a good amount of protein in it. A lot of these things have a lot of sugar in them. I'm a clean eater so these things aren't on my food list, but this is just my opinion.
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Are you looking specifically at Fiber One brand or open to any other fiber ideas? Fiber One bars are really junky - highly processed...full of ingredients your body most definitely does NOT need. Yes, they taste good, but at what cost? I have been amazed by how much better I feel since eating cleaner. If you really need a bar, go for a LARABAR. They really do taste GOOD!

From Fooducate.com:

"The healthy snackbar segment is huge and growing. It seems that manufacturers have figured out a way to dress up candy bars as healthy, and fill our craving for an anytime, anywhere treat. To be fair, there are many decent products out there, but some are not much more than glorified Snickers or Twix bars.

Let’s take a look at Kellogg’s Fiber Plus Dark Chocolate Almond Bar, which boasts 35% of the daily value of fiber and, as a comparison, Larabar’s Chocolate Coconut bar.

What you need to know:

We’ll begin by comparing some nutrients. The Fiber plus bar is rather small (36 grams) and contains 130 calories. The Larabar is 40% bigger at 51 grams and has 84% more calories – 240.

On the fiber front, Kellogg’s wins hands down with 9 grams vs Larabar’s 5 grams. And sugar-wise it contains only 7 grams, vs 22 grams. That’s 2 teaspoons of sugar vs 5 and a half. Larabar does have 5 grams of protein vs only 2 grams for Kellogg’s.

So far it seems like Kellogg’s has the upper hand – less calories, less sugar, much more fiber. Just what the doctor ordered. Right?

Not so fast. Let’s have a peek under the hood shall we?

Here’s the ingredient list for fiber plus:

CHICORY ROOT FIBER, ROLLED OATS, CRISP RICE (RICE FLOUR, SUGAR, MALT EXTRACT, SALT, MIXED TOCOPHEROLS FOR FRESHNESS), SUGAR, ROASTED ALMONDS, INULIN FROM CHICORY ROOT, SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE DROPS (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE, COCOA BUTTER, DEXTROSE, MILK FAT, SOY LECITHIN, CONFECTIONER’S GLAZE [SHELLAC, HYDROGENATED COCONUT OIL]), VEGETABLE OIL (HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL, COCONUT AND PALM OIL), FRUCTOSE, CANOLA OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF HONEY, CHOCOLATE, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), GLYCERIN, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, WHEY, SALT, BAKING SODA, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, POLYSORBATE 60, VITAMIN E ACETATE, GUM ARABIC, ZINC OXIDE, NONFAT DRY MILK, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, PARTIALLY DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, BHT (FOR FRESHNESS), XANTHAN GUM.

and for Larabar:

Dates, Almonds, Walnuts, Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Unsweetened Coconut.

A whopping 54 Kellogg’s ingredients vs. 5 for Larabar. Even before reading through the ingredient list, one must ask herself, why does a bar need so many things inside? Compare to 5 human readable ingredients from Larabar.

Here’s what happened with Kellogg’s: When your first and foremost ingredient is chicory root fiber, not a “food” people consume regularly, you have to make up for it with a long list of other stuff to make the product taste good. Four mentions of sugars, shellac (a bug extract), glycerin, soy lecithin, artificial flavors, natural flavors, BHT, polysorbates – who really needs all these? What about simple real food? Can’t Kellogg’s take a page from Larabar’s book?

Larabar’s ingredients help explain it’s high sugar content – from the dates. Its fiber comes from the dates, almonds and walnuts. No wonder the calorie count is high either – it is both a larger bar and it contains nuts with fats, albeit good ones.

Too bad Larabar doesn’t come in a mini-size, about half the current bar, then it would be the hands down winner in this match-up, both from an ingredient perspective and a caloric one.

What to do at the supermarket:

Buying bars, be on the lookout for ingredient lists the length of a Stephen King novel. They tell the story of a highly processed product manufactured to tell a certain story about certain nutrients (in this case – fiber). Watch for the sugar content and whether it is added, or simply comes from the dried fruit in the bar."
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Mocha Chocolate - Delish coffee flavor makes it a great addition to any breakfast :)

Oats and Caramel is yummy too
  • Jeanetta10
    Jeanetta10 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The Larabars sounds wonderful if you're made of money. When I looked online they want $25 for 16 of them! Can't afford that... I've been buying Kelloggs brand and I do enjoy them to get a little chocolate flavor.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Are you looking specifically at Fiber One brand or open to any other fiber ideas? Fiber One bars are really junky - highly processed...full of ingredients your body most definitely does NOT need. Yes, they taste good, but at what cost? I have been amazed by how much better I feel since eating cleaner. If you really need a bar, go for a LARABAR. They really do taste GOOD!

From Fooducate.com:

"The healthy snackbar segment is huge and growing. It seems that manufacturers have figured out a way to dress up candy bars as healthy, and fill our craving for an anytime, anywhere treat. To be fair, there are many decent products out there, but some are not much more than glorified Snickers or Twix bars.

Let’s take a look at Kellogg’s Fiber Plus Dark Chocolate Almond Bar, which boasts 35% of the daily value of fiber and, as a comparison, Larabar’s Chocolate Coconut bar.

What you need to know:

We’ll begin by comparing some nutrients. The Fiber plus bar is rather small (36 grams) and contains 130 calories. The Larabar is 40% bigger at 51 grams and has 84% more calories – 240.

On the fiber front, Kellogg’s wins hands down with 9 grams vs Larabar’s 5 grams. And sugar-wise it contains only 7 grams, vs 22 grams. That’s 2 teaspoons of sugar vs 5 and a half. Larabar does have 5 grams of protein vs only 2 grams for Kellogg’s.

So far it seems like Kellogg’s has the upper hand – less calories, less sugar, much more fiber. Just what the doctor ordered. Right?

Not so fast. Let’s have a peek under the hood shall we?

Here’s the ingredient list for fiber plus:

CHICORY ROOT FIBER, ROLLED OATS, CRISP RICE (RICE FLOUR, SUGAR, MALT EXTRACT, SALT, MIXED TOCOPHEROLS FOR FRESHNESS), SUGAR, ROASTED ALMONDS, INULIN FROM CHICORY ROOT, SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE DROPS (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE, COCOA BUTTER, DEXTROSE, MILK FAT, SOY LECITHIN, CONFECTIONER’S GLAZE [SHELLAC, HYDROGENATED COCONUT OIL]), VEGETABLE OIL (HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL, COCONUT AND PALM OIL), FRUCTOSE, CANOLA OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF HONEY, CHOCOLATE, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), GLYCERIN, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, WHEY, SALT, BAKING SODA, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, POLYSORBATE 60, VITAMIN E ACETATE, GUM ARABIC, ZINC OXIDE, NONFAT DRY MILK, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, PARTIALLY DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, BHT (FOR FRESHNESS), XANTHAN GUM.

and for Larabar:

Dates, Almonds, Walnuts, Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Unsweetened Coconut.

A whopping 54 Kellogg’s ingredients vs. 5 for Larabar. Even before reading through the ingredient list, one must ask herself, why does a bar need so many things inside? Compare to 5 human readable ingredients from Larabar.

Here’s what happened with Kellogg’s: When your first and foremost ingredient is chicory root fiber, not a “food” people consume regularly, you have to make up for it with a long list of other stuff to make the product taste good. Four mentions of sugars, shellac (a bug extract), glycerin, soy lecithin, artificial flavors, natural flavors, BHT, polysorbates – who really needs all these? What about simple real food? Can’t Kellogg’s take a page from Larabar’s book?

Larabar’s ingredients help explain it’s high sugar content – from the dates. Its fiber comes from the dates, almonds and walnuts. No wonder the calorie count is high either – it is both a larger bar and it contains nuts with fats, albeit good ones.

Too bad Larabar doesn’t come in a mini-size, about half the current bar, then it would be the hands down winner in this match-up, both from an ingredient perspective and a caloric one.

What to do at the supermarket:

Buying bars, be on the lookout for ingredient lists the length of a Stephen King novel. They tell the story of a highly processed product manufactured to tell a certain story about certain nutrients (in this case – fiber). Watch for the sugar content and whether it is added, or simply comes from the dried fruit in the bar."

Love your post and think in the long run, it's cheaper to pay more now as opposed to medical bills later. With all those ingredients in the Fiber One bars....you're asking for trouble.

If you want a chocolate fix, eat a square of Lindt 85% cocoa for 45 calories. There are so many other options that are more healthy for a chocolate fix.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I avoid those as they have so much junk in them. I'd opt to make your own, but I know it's so convenient having something already made. Try Clif Bars or something that has a good amount of protein in it. A lot of these things have a lot of sugar in them. I'm a clean eater so these things aren't on my food list, but this is just my opinion.

Agree!
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I do the Fiber One bars as well, but I'm not supposed to eat them because I have a wheat sensitivity. And the larabar has nuts, and I can't have nuts, or cow dairy, or peanut butter, or strawberries, you get the picture.

But the non-wheat choices out there HAVE NO FIBER, so I let myself have one every other day. Otherwise I have some prunes chopped up in my oatmeal.
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Oh I couldn't agree more!!
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    hmmmm i love the fiber one bars especially the 90 calorie choclate, 90 calorie choclate pb and the 90 calories brownies are awesome
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I like Fiber One Oats & Caramel, but I prefer Fiber Plus bars for texture and taste. And the Fiber Plus Genie. :laugh:

But be prepared to fart. A lot. And loudly.
  • Jeanetta10
    Jeanetta10 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of recipes for these on the internet. Many already have the nutrients/calories computed. I'm going to try making my own and wrapping them for myself to avoid the "junk". Will let you all know how it goes! :smile: