Time to stop eating?

Options
Hey, I'm having a problem with eating late at night. I'm staying in my calorie goal (usually) but my husband doesn't get off work until 9:30 pm so I usually eat dinner around 10 and I feel like that might be detrimental to my weight loss. Does anyone have any ideas about what time at night you should stop eating for the day?

Replies

• morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You should stop eating about 4 hours before you go to bed!
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    i agree, 4 hrs before bed is the rule i use
  • michaelaam18
    Options
    Have your last meal whenever it suits you. I sometimes can't eat dinner until 9.30pm or 10.30pm because of work. I'm not going to let it stop me eating dinner though, what am I supposed to do - just not eat at all?
    Generally the time you eat doesn't hinder weight loss if you're eating the right foods.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make any difference as long as you eat the right things. I heard it is a myth that you should stop eating hours before you sleep.
  • auryted
    auryted Posts: 9
    Options
    I have my dinner at 6pm, which is 5 hours before bed. My dinner is always low in carbs, which for me is even more important than when I have it. It does wonders to how I feel in the morning: more energetic and looking forward to breakfast. I have also read that if you can't avoid eating later than 6pm, then it has to be a no carbs meal (so nothing stodgy, lean fish or meat with veggies).

Hope this helps!
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make any difference as long as you eat the right things. I heard it is a myth that you should stop eating hours before you sleep.

I agree.. My hubby eats at 3 am.. and hes lost 30 pounds in the last 7 weeks..

Why do men have it easier than women? lol.. actually I'm really proud of him.. Rawr!! :love:
  • Fitzgeraldguy
    Options
    Hi,

My trainer told me that if I have to eat late I should choose healthy fats, high protein, low carbs, and no starchy foods. As these can be used and broken down for maintenance during the night.

Best.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I agree, I usually eat dinner between 8:30 pm and 9:30 pm. I also usually have a snack right before bed (skim milk & a 100 calorie "goodie"). I've always eating the bulk of my calories later in the day and it hasn't impeded my weight loss. I think it comes down to calories in vs. calories out. You have to burn more than you eat, and it doesn't matter when you burn them. I think the recommendation to cut off your eating by a certain time if you:

- have heartburn/indigestion when you lay down to sleep; cut off at least 2 hrs prior to lieing down so the food can process out of your stomach.
    - don't have an appetite for breakfast in the morning; stop eating earlier at night so that by the time the morning arrives, you've gone longer without food and you're hungry
    - tend to be a nighttime binger/snacker. If you can't control what you're eating at night, it might be best to set a stopping time and stay out of the kitchen!

Good luck!
  • amleigh79
    amleigh79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually eat later in the evening and have a snack before bed. I can't sleep if my stomach is growling!! I think that as long as you aren't exceeding your calorie goal, it doesn't matter when you take your calories in!
  • Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    No idea if eating late at night would affect rate of weight loss. I am inclined to agree that calories in vs calories out is the main factor.

There is another reason why your evening meal should be at least 3 hours before you go to sleep though. Eating too late is disruptive to your sleep, it can affect your sleep quality, and that has a knock on effect for your energy levels the next day. I used to work in sleep research. That said if you don't feel it is affecting you, then you are probably fine :)
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter. Make sure you wait at least 1 hour before going to bed after you eat. I don't know why people believe in that 2-4 hour rule when there's barely any science behind it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I've heard conflicting ideas. Some say it's better not to eat at night, as your metabolism can slow. Others say a calorie is a calorie, and it doesn't matter.

For you, if you're worried that it's negatively affecting you, try not eating so late for a few weeks. See what results you get. I bet it depends on the person.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It matters?

*looks at my ticker loss*

Guess not.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Yup. It doesn't matter. Eat whenever you want.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Generally you should eat when you're awake and not eat when you're asleep.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    Generally you should eat when you're awake and not eat when you're asleep.

i vote this.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Nevah! Seriously, though, I usually have a snack before bed. It's worked for me over two years and 110 pounds...
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I thought it's a myth that you shouldn't eat late. I think as long as you stick within cals you should be ok. I think you should't go to bed straight after a big dinner, better to let it go down for a few mins at least. I don't have dinner late but normally have a snack just before bed, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.
  • MissyFit08
    MissyFit08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My bedtimes vary so much so I don't stick with that 4 hours before bed stuff. I stop EATING food around 6 at the latest if I can. If I feel hungry or something past that, I'll have some water or a little milk to hold me over til the next day for breakfast. If I'm absolutely STARVING before bed then I'll have a piece of fruit or something healthy that won't really affect my weight loss negatively.

Think...your metabolism slows down usually in the late afternoon. If you're eating at 8 at night -2 in the morning, I don't think it would burn off nearly as quickly since you're sleeping...not moving around or exercising...
  • jennys33
    jennys33 Posts: 16
    Options
    It does not matter what time you eat, but only WHAT you eat. The total calories in the day is what matters. HTH