Oh god i'm old AND fat!!

Options
Hi everyone..looking for some buddies to help keep me on track because im my own biggest saboteur!!

I'm approaching 48 and whilst my face looks younger my body looks like something a child made from playdoh!!
I've lost weight twice in my life so far (8st in my 30's and 3st in my early 40s both times down to size 10) and yup guess what?? As soon as i lost it all i took my foot off the pedal and said ''oh i made it thank god no more dieting'' and guess what?? i got FAT again! So 2 years, one desk job and a 5st weight gain later having to start all over again and i'm determined this is the last time (basically becuse i dont want to die anytime soon!!). Just to help things along i thought i'd bring my friend perimenopause along for the ride!!

Sooooooo i work long hours at a sedentary job.. leave too /early/late for the gym either before or after work but i do clock up an hour of very fast walking a day.
Pearls of wisdom, nagging, reprimands, motivation and friendship all welcome especially if you're in a similar boat.....thanks for reading my burble :smiley:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking 'diet', start thinking sustainable lifestyle changes, and maintaining a deficit to lose weight.
  • Pandakins1969
    Pandakins1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking 'diet', start thinking sustainable lifestyle changes, and maintaining a deficit to lose weight.

I have no idea what my deficit should be any more...especially since i hit perimenopause and my body doesnt want to part with a single pound. Not thinking diet will be hard...i've spent most of my life 'dieting' and any cut in calories my brain immediately shrieks 'diet'
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finding the determination to do it and say "never again". I'm right there with you, approaching 47 and having lost significant weight before but gained it all back. But you need to work on your brain... if you can't stop it from "shrieking 'diet'," then I think we all know what's going to happen once you hit your goal. Focus on eating healthy. Think of it as eating healthy. Nobody wants to diet for the rest of their life, but is eating healthy the rest of your life such a bad thing? Where the mind leads, the body follows, so you need to make your mind happy about where it's going, and want to stay there.
  • wiremog
    wiremog Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Playdoh. Haha, I can relate!!

You've had some really impressive successes before (8st loss?! Woah) so no doubt you can do it again. I lost a couple of stone about 6 years ago, and it's all crept back on now with an extra half stone for good measure :(

Back on it from today, especially as I'm maid of honour for my best friend in June. Shopping for my dress this weekend was the wake up call I needed... I've gone up 2 dress sizes in the past few years...

Best of luck, we can do it! X
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Ok the good news is you know how to take care of yourself, you just need some consistency now.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Your really not old!
  • Pandakins1969
    Options
    Your really not old!

Ha ha no just a little bit 'lived in' I'm at the age where sleep creases take until bedtime to vanish!! :open_mouth:

Thanks guys its nice to hear from everyone...it's always so much easier when youre not doing it alone!!
    I'm just hoping i learn my lesson this time and stop giving up!!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    You are as old as you feel, a GD, had a fright when she realised she is 2 years off 30, she's fortunate, she's not her mothers age, mine or her Gt Grandma's. I'd like to be back as lived in as you. As long as we have breath we have time to change. You are going to meet people with similar experiences and this time when you achieve your goal there will be people to help you achieve a regulated maintenance.

It may help you to realise how much food you regularly consume before you set out on this adventure. May be remind yourself of the meal profile which worked for you in the past and if you can work your way back into that plan.

One thing is certain. If you give up today you will still be in the same place tomorrow. If you take control in the way that suits you, you will have made progress in a few months and more. We will all have days full of temptations or challenges the important thing is to put set backs behind you and go to it again.

Make this, Third time, by design.
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat here at 52. It's not really old; I like to think I'm experienced. You're on the right track here. I work long hours and am a walker too. It's great that you're getting that in, and you might want to think about working in some toning to help firm up that dough. You're definitely in the right place for support.
  • PoochieJFit
    PoochieJFit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from! I'm almost 46 and I keep losing and gaining. I really need to keep focused and get into the "being healthy" mindset! All the best to you!
  • MallowMoira
    MallowMoira Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, nearing 49 and the heaviest I've ever been thanks to switching to a desk job for a year. Suprisingly I'm also fitter than I've every been thanks to running and walking. I fell into the trap of thinking I could eat anything because of the mileage I clocked up every week. Big mistake and now need to lose 3 stone. I have arthritic knees and spine so the weight really needs to come off before I'm totally crippled. Thankfully, I'm back to a "standing on my feet most of the day" job which is helping.
  • work_on_it
    work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Great post. Me too. I'm tired of putting it back on. Let's do this!
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ha! I am 47 and have taken off much of my extra weight, but I still have some to go. Feel free to add me if you want. I am not a gym rat. I mainly just walk and count calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    48. Ha! I'll hit the double nickel in June and be in the best damned shape of my life.
  • Pandakins1969
    Options
    Defnitely!! its so much better when youre not the only on rowing that boat! I have to admit reading the posts here are helping me today...for some reason i find the first week or two the hardest and then once it all clicks in i'll stick to it. I freely admit i'm the worlds biggest sugar junkie...i crave sweet things like crazy but not any more!!
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and getting back on track after a year and 1.5 stone weight gain which I can only blame on my lack of self control around cake. I knew deep down that I should find time to continue logging food when I was too busy. Today is the day that I get back to what I know I should do. Also in perimenopause but to be honest, I don't think it makes a huge difference. I have put my details in MFP got my deficit to lose 1 lb per week. Set my activity at sedentary and then log exercise. I have 1250 calories to eat per day if I don't do anything, though, for my general health exercise will be done! That worked a couple of years back and I have no reason to believe it won't again. I too work long hours and find it difficult to fit any exercise - I do a lot of dog walking though!