Need protein from other sources than just meat

Options
TDombovy23
TDombovy23 Posts: 3 Member
Looking for some help in determining some food ideas that are high protein but are not meat. Either foods themselves or meal ideas. Preferably lower in carbs as well.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Eggs/egg whites.
    Seafood
    Dairy (low fat might help keep fat/calories down)
    Beans/legumes/quinoa etc, but they come with lots of carbs.
    Protein powder/supplement
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    all dairy, quinoa, mushrooms, broccoli,eggs, fish.
  • TheWatsoniestWatson
    Options
    Spinach has a nice bit as well.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of rice and beans. It's not a lot of protein but it is a complete essential protein when combined.

Otherwise you might want to look into powders and cooking with those powders, because vegetables (with the exception of soy/edamame) isn't very high in protein and usually does not contain a completely protein.
  • coryfisher180
    coryfisher180 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My main protein source is from powder.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Pea protein powder and other vegetable based protein powders, worked into recipes, smoothies etc., can give a nice boost to your protein intake.
  • Kats07stang
    Kats07stang Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ive never went the powder route what are some options that dont taste bad
  • TejahBee
    TejahBee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We use protein powder to make waffles, cookies, etc. There are TONS of super easy recipes online.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Kodiak cakes - pancake and muffin mix are higher in protein than regular pancakes - and they have options to increase protein (adding milk/egg whites to the mix)

for protein powder - the limited times I use it - I like egg white protein powder - Jay Robb specifically - it tastes like chocolate milk
  • momnproud24
    momnproud24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think I may try this product. Thanks for sharing
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Kodiak cakes - pancake and muffin mix are higher in protein than regular pancakes - and they have options to increase protein (adding milk/egg whites to the mix)

for protein powder - the limited times I use it - I like egg white protein powder - Jay Robb specifically - it tastes like chocolate milk

Checkout flapjacked. Similar products but much more protein. Love them so much!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    NOT nuts, no matter how much people keep thinking that they are a good source of protein (quite sure my bread has more protein than that).

Seafood, fat free Greek yogurt are the best. Then fat free milk/eggs/beans/peas.