Summer Marathon Training, anyone???

Options
Coming out the long winter like a bear late in hibernation! Picking back up the mileage Anyone else going into marathon mode??? Would like to find some running friends, or just some more fitness buddies who like to sweat!!!

Replies

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Half marathon for me. I ran a half on new years day and had planned to run a full in may, but I just couldn't make the time for the longer runs required int he marathon training. So Im doing 10ks and halfs this summer. Much easier to maintain those distances and not kill a complete day off with running and the tiredness that comes with a 20 mile run.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    After I run Pittsburgh next month and Ragnar Relay in June, I'll be working on my fall BQ try. I won't start the 'plan' until sometime in July but pretty much everything I do between now and then will be geared toward that effort. Hopefully we can get the temps to be a bit more moderate this year. Last year was hot in the eastern US.
  • rungirl0582
    rungirl0582 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1/2 marathon for me on April 30th. From there I'll move into 5k mode with emphasis on improving time through the hotter months, then I'm looking at another 1/2 in November. As much as I'd love to do a full, it's tough for me to make the time for long runs on the weekends.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have a 12 Hour, followed by two 10Ks, in three weeks, Marathons​ in June and July with a back to back 12 Hour and Marathon in September and a final back to back Marathon and Half in December.

• z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have a 10K in April and a 1/2 marathon in September. This is my first two races, so it will be a little scary :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    a couple of half ironmen (I run so much better after a swim and a bike) and then maybe Marine Corps Marathon (October) - if I can get a bib transfer
  • gav8609
    gav8609 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Cardiff half in October and Brighton Marathon in April.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon. I'm on week 5. I don't have any races planned. I want to see if I can handle the higher mileage without getting hurt. I'm going to repeat the training and possibly run the Rock and Roll half in September.
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've got two half-marathons planned in May (may end up just being one depending on Memorial Day weekend) and another in June and September.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    excited for you
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a sprint duathlon in August. I do it every year. I wouldn't be able to do a marathon...I've started training already which is earlier than previous years, so I'm hoping to beat last years time...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have 2 ultra trail races. 36 miles in late June, 27 miles in late September.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

which ultra? there is one in ohio my friends are trying to convince me to do in June
  • inyourfaceskinnywitch
    Options
    I did a half last Saturday, have another one in September and my first full marathon in November. It will be my first full. bit of an understatement to say I'm nervous. :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

which ultra? there is one in ohio my friends are trying to convince me to do in June

This one is near Pittsburgh. The rachel carson trail challenge.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    After I run Pittsburgh next month and Ragnar Relay in June, I'll be working on my fall BQ try. I won't start the 'plan' until sometime in July but pretty much everything I do between now and then will be geared toward that effort. Hopefully we can get the temps to be a bit more moderate this year. Last year was hot in the eastern US.

Training through the heat of the summer sets you up to crush a fall marathon. I ran my BQ in Columbus, OH in October. 28F at the start and mid 50s at the finish after training in the heat all summer long made it feel like a breeze.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first half earlier this month and am looking at doing another in October. Right now I am taking it easy on my runs so that I can adjust to running in the heat.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Wanted to, but didn't heal up fast enough. I'll be rebuilding my base this summer, probably start marathon training late summer/early fall.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm running Chicago in October. Not looking forward to all those miles in the Houston summer weather!
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a 25K again hoping to beat last year's time, been a rough training season though. I'm going to train over the summer to run my first marathon!! Can't wait to kick butt in October! This is going to be so much fun! :)