Weight gain after vacation

Options
I just got back from 7 days vacation. I expected to gain weight from drinking and having the odd cheat like a piece of bread or some type of starch. I weighed myself when I returned and I am up 11lbs. 11lbs in 7 days!!! I'm quite disappointed.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Where did you go? Was it fun?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    No biggee. Everyone one of my vacations I come back heavier only to get back to my normal weight within a week or so.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    A piece of bread is a vacation splurge? That makes me sad...

There are lots of reasons the scale may go up temporarily including increased sodium, increased carbs (since it sounds like you are on a LC diet currently) and even flying. Drink plenty of water and give it a few days, most of that will be gone before you know it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    When did you get back?
    It takes me a week plus to lose the initial travel, flight, heat, excess salt, water weight.
    A week back on my usual eating routine and I am back to normal weight.

Oh and I drink the fri-fru drinks and splurge more than on bread.

Take a deep breath and give it a couple of weeks for things to settle down.
    There is no way you ate over your maintenance by 3500+ cals.

Cheers, h.
  • Dopie2
    Dopie2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I went to Cuba and it was fun, thanks for asking but I didn't think it would be possible to gain this much weight.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Not uncommon. Especially if your diet was low carb before going on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Water retention and extra food volume in your system. Possibly a pound or two of actual gain if you really went overboard. It will sort itself out in time.
  • Dopie2
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    A piece of bread is a vacation splurge? That makes me sad...

There are lots of reasons the scale may go up temporarily including increased sodium, increased carbs (since it sounds like you are on a LC diet currently) and even flying. Drink plenty of water and give it a few days, most of that will be gone before you know it.

Haha well yes a piece of bread or any starch is a splurge as I cut all that out in Jan including sugar as those were my weakness and I am on a clean diet. I am hoping it's water weight like some have suggested. I just went into panic mode when I got on the scale.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Dopie2 wrote: »
    I went to Cuba and it was fun, thanks for asking but I didn't think it would be possible to gain this much weight.

So focus on the great time you had. Don't tarnish your experiences with a blip on the scale. Many other posts have highlighted potential reasons for weighing in heavier.... Just get back to logging.

(I put on 8kg (17.6lbs) in 5 days on my honeymoon... I enjoyed every minute of it, and lost 5kgs in a couple of days after getting back...)
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 11lbs of fat though. Same thing happened to me, it was gone in 5 days after I returned and went back to my routine.
  • Dopie2
    Options
    When did you get back?
    It takes me a week plus to lose the initial travel, flight, heat, excess salt, water weight.
    A week back on my usual eating routine and I am back to normal weight.

Oh and I drink the fri-fru drinks and splurge more than on bread.

Take a deep breath and give it a couple of weeks for things to settle down.
    There is no way you ate over your maintenance by 3500+ cals.

Cheers, h.

I returned on Saturday. I expected to gain 3-5 lbs. I was trying to mentally calculate my calories as I didn't have my phone to track with mfp. It seems impossible to have eaten and extra 38,500 calories (11lbs x 3500 cal) but the drinks were sweet. I'm starting to get back to my routine and I'm certain i will lose it but the week before I left I hit my ultimate goal so I was very disappointed to come home to such a large gain. Thanks for your comment.