Is calorie burned in walking different for in shape vs. out

Options
ecs1516
ecs1516 Posts: 51 Member
Say you walk for 30 minutes, would an out of shape overweight person burn more calories than an in shape normal weight person. Books I have looked at on fitness just mention how many calories burned for each cardio exercise. Does it not depend on the person?

Replies

• pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's why you have to keep updating your weight into your HRM.
  • jenc79
    jenc79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes.

A heavier person, say 30lb overweight, is carrying that extra weight as they walk, so the "equivalent" for the one at target is carrying a backpack...

However, if the "in shape" person has more muscle mass, their BMR will be proportionally higher than it would if not, too, so not quite that straightforward.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yes, and as your weight changes on here, your estimated calories burned changes with it.
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Yes! When u are out of shape and u workout ur body is working harder to work so then u burn more calories that's why when people that are in shape tend to work out longer to get the same calories burn or do more intense workouts.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most in this way: Facts in all the books I have read say that a person burns 100 calories per mile. That is whether you are walking, running, 100 pounds or 300 pounds. The difference will simply be that a lighter or fitter person might be able to run a mile in 6 minutes and a larger, less fit person might take 25 minutes for the same mile. So, the best way is to go by mileage. In addition, that 100 calories is based on a 150 pound person. So, if you way 200 pounds, you weigh 33% more than the 150-pound person, so you add 33% to that figure, meaning you burn 133 calories per 1 mile walked, run, or waddled. (I'm a Penguin runner (slow), so I started out waddling <smile>)
    so, calories burned are not really different - each person burns 100 calories per mile, it just depends on how many miles you can go. When I started, I was at 25 minutes a mile. I'm now at 12 minutes a mile - so things definitely get better as you get more fit and lighter! HOORAY!
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yes, sorry I couldn't reply to your message. My connection timed out on my iPod Touch. Anyway, all the previous posters are correct. It depends on your fitness level and your own maximum heart rate. The better-fit person has more muscle to burn more calories and probably has a higher MHR. This changes as one goes through one's weight loss journey.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I disagree with most in this way: Facts in all the books I have read say that a person burns 100 calories per mile. That is whether you are walking, running, 100 pounds or 300 pounds.

That's been proven untrue. Running burns more than walking, since it's a different activity. Slow running and fast running burns about the same per mile, though.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

I burn around 100 per mile running (hills and incline) and about 65 per mile walking.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most in this way: Facts in all the books I have read say that a person burns 100 calories per mile. That is whether you are walking, running, 100 pounds or 300 pounds. The difference will simply be that a lighter or fitter person might be able to run a mile in 6 minutes and a larger, less fit person might take 25 minutes for the same mile.

Not sure, but I think you may be confusing work (in the scientific sense) with the energy expenditure required to accomplish it. All else being equal, a person who travels a mile will have accomplished the same amount of work whether they walk, run, bike, or take a cab. But it is not true that they will have burned the same number of calories to do it. If that could be assumed then there wouldn't be a lot of point in in the existence of wheels, pulleys, or inclined planes.
  • ecs1516
    ecs1516 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What is HMR. Also, what is MHR mentioned? Is there a calculator on this website for that? So, if I am entering calories for walking(hiking through woods) . How can I figure out how much burned?
    I am 5' 4", 139 pounds.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    What is HMR. Also, what is MHR mentioned? Is there a calculator on this website for that? So, if I am entering calories for walking(hiking through woods) . How can I figure out how much burned?
    I am 5' 4", 139 pounds.

Go to the Exercise tab, and under Cardiovascular, click "Add Exercise." Search for your activity (walking (you'll need to know your pace), hiking, running, etc), and enter the time you spent doing it.

Keep in mind that it's an estimate, and some of the exercises are more accurate than others because they're more specific. Something like "walking, 2.0 miles per hour" or "running, 6.0 miles per hour" is going to be more accurate than "hiking, cross country" because they have no idea how fast your going. Ditto for the elliptical, since you could be on there at a walking pace, a running pace, or anywhere in between.

HRM is Heart Rate Monitor. Some folks use them to calculate their calories burned. It's *usually* more accurate than going by the estimates provided by sites, since it's based on your exact circumstances.
  • thebiggreenmachine
    thebiggreenmachine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most in this way: Facts in all the books I have read say that a person burns 100 calories per mile. That is whether you are walking, running, 100 pounds or 300 pounds. The difference will simply be that a lighter or fitter person might be able to run a mile in 6 minutes and a larger, less fit person might take 25 minutes for the same mile. So, the best way is to go by mileage. In addition, that 100 calories is based on a 150 pound person. So, if you way 200 pounds, you weigh 33% more than the 150-pound person, so you add 33% to that figure, meaning you burn 133 calories per 1 mile walked, run, or waddled. (I'm a Penguin runner (slow), so I started out waddling <smile>)
    so, calories burned are not really different - each person burns 100 calories per mile, it just depends on how many miles you can go. When I started, I was at 25 minutes a mile. I'm now at 12 minutes a mile - so things definitely get better as you get more fit and lighter! HOORAY!

It's definitely not a fact. The 100 calorie burned/mile is just a nice round number someone picked that makes it easier for people to guesstimate what they burned. If the books say it's based on a 150 lb person, then you know it's useless information, since weight alone means nothing in determining calories burned.