walking on the beach

Options
I'm blessed to live on the beach in Florida. I suffered a pretty bad knee injury and have started working out again, ( very low impact!) Just walking and light weights/machines

We have a treadmill at my condo work out area which I use on rainy days/late nights but they tend to make me dizzy and I hate working out indoors unless I'm using the leg press, weights etc

My question is this: with my knee does it matter if I walk on the beach in shoes or barefoot? We have sugar sand here so it's very powdery and not many shells. I tend to walk on the harder packed area by the shore. I'm trying to burn as many calories as I can as well as strengthen my legs back up. I seem to be able to do a brisker pace in shoes but it kind of feels like more resistance barefoot.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It depends on the nature of the knee injury. This is a great question for your physical therapist. In general, wearing shoes will place less stress on the knee. The difference in calorie burn is minimal.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I always walk barefoot on the beach. I'm in Florida too (Clearwater) and the sugar sand is so floofy and amazing on bare feet! Sorry I can't really answer your question technically, but I'd say whichever makes you feel like you're doing more work is likely going to be the higher calorie burn.
  • childofares
    childofares Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I always walk barefoot on the beach. I'm in Florida too (Clearwater) and the sugar sand is so floofy and amazing on bare feet! Sorry I can't really answer your question technically, but I'd say whichever makes you feel like you're doing more work is likely going to be the higher calorie burn.

Howdy neighbor, I'm in Indian Rocks Beach :)