230lbs and no gym? Hypo & postpartum weight..

Options
I'm 29, have hypothyroidism, had my daughter 11months ago, lost my job and staying home with my kids at the moment. That means no extra $ for a gym membership but do have a treadmill, some weights, and looking into resistance training bands.
I lost 20lbs after I had my daughter then gained 10back. She was an AWFUL sleeper I mean AWFUUUL! So found myself after a while drinking more caffeine in the form of pop and seeking sugar to keep me going and being so tired and feeling bad I've found my decision making went out the window. I'm feeling more in control now since we're all getting a little more sleep (still wake up 2-4 x per night) and I'm ready to make the changes needed to lose and get healthy again.

I just don't know where to start honestly, I feel a little helpless. Before I'd just track with MFP and go to the gym mainly do cardio but learning weight training is a biiiiig factor in losing so really want to amp up hopefully with the resistance training and home weights and body weight exercises. When I used MFP before I lost 30lbs in 2months but I ran almost daily even up to 8miles there towards the end and felt amazing but realize I was losing muscle to but still looked a lot better and felt it to.
I'm stumped on food though...should I consume whey shakes? How much protein? MFP says 1400 cals should I go less and what about carbs? Ugh! What are you all eating(example of a typical day? Just any info to get me started would be amazing and so appreciative! I've read what feels like a zillion articles I just want to hear from real people who have had results! TIA! :)

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Start with the stickies at the top of the page.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You have a treadmill and weights, you don't need a gym membership and you don't need resistance bands.
    Calories matter, carbs don't. If 1400 calories/day is your goal then hit that goal, don't consistently go under, that's a recipe for disaster. Don't worry about protein shakes unless you are have problems reaching your protein goal.
  • tundehoward
    tundehoward Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dear if you ever tried golo diet? It's for people like yourself and me. Check it out just search it up. It's cheap too and have a face book support group as well. I lost so far 20 lbs on it. And it's food you already buy and your family can enjoy as well. I would say good luck but you and I already know luck got nothing to do with this! So I see good going and more power to us!
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I read your comments. If you think you need caffeine drink coffee and drop the pop. One pop is loaded with so much sugar that a few would put a diabetic into a coma. Turn away from sugar and eat more protein. I know for a mother finding time for exercise is tough but look for oportunities. Like exercising during naps or in the evening after child is down for night. And I found the big thing for me is to stay focused on the goal every day. My mantra is--- YOU CAN DO THIS AND ONLY YOU CAN DO THIS. Good luck I'm rooting for you.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Do floor excercises like crunches and burpies and lunges when you get the chance. Switch to zero calorie soda if you're not able to kick it all the way. It's a hard time to go through (the baby years), and you should use all the tools you can to get through it--but you should avoid using food or sugary drinks as breaks/treats because it's tough to stop and it becomes a lifestyle thing.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You may want to have your thyroid levels checked to make sure you are on the right dose. If you have a stroller taking walks outside with your daughter can help both of you. My children always slept better after having some time outside in the fresh air.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, etc... You don't need a gym to hit the basics.

Weight management comes from calorie management, just as you would manage a financial budget you have to do the same with the food you eat and the work you perform. Hypothyroidism doesn't impact this much ~5% to your Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) from clinical studies.

What better way to lead by example with your daughter? Wake up every morning and bang out 10 mins of calisthenics, then push that to 20, then 30 and have her participate with you.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Start small, @kmc2407. Just start tracking what you are currently eating. Evaluate your diary at the end of the day and make small SUSTAINABLE tweaks that you can continue doing for the rest of your life. Once you feel pretty comfortable with that, make another small change. Rinse and repeat!

This, every inch this. ^^^

Get your food and logging under control then start building an exercise routine that is sustainable. Don't forget to eat back your exercise calories once you start.

Cheers, h.
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Tbh I drink soda but I make mine with a soda stream machine I have. it's a lot healthier and less sugar. I don't even make it sugarfree and I still loose weight drinking it. It's only 50 calories. So maybe u could go on that route. But if u want caffinenwith no calories drink brewed tea. Or coffee or sugarfree soda. A treadmill works wonders. U don't need gym for weight loss.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    bobtater1 wrote: »
    I read your comments. If you think you need caffeine drink coffee and drop the pop. One pop is loaded with so much sugar that a few would put a diabetic into a coma. Turn away from sugar and eat more protein. I know for a mother finding time for exercise is tough but look for oportunities. Like exercising during naps or in the evening after child is down for night. And I found the big thing for me is to stay focused on the goal every day. My mantra is--- YOU CAN DO THIS AND ONLY YOU CAN DO THIS. Good luck I'm rooting for you.

If she doesn't have a medical reason to watch her sugar and can fit a can or two into her calories, what's the problem? I drink diet soda for caffeine because I've never liked the taste of coffee or tea.

OP, you've got this already. Start logging your food and using the equipment you do have.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Tbh I drink soda but I make mine with a soda stream machine I have. it's a lot healthier and less sugar.

No

[/quote] U don't need gym for weight loss. [/quote]

Yes
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Start by drinking water, black unsweetened coffee, unsweetened tea, skim milk. You don't need sodas. On the weekend I made a big pot of chicken, beans, and greens in a stew. I put it in cups in the freezer with 1/4 cup cooked brown rice for lunches. I also eat plain fat free yogurt and a piece of fruit at lunch. I make breakfast smoothies with plain yogurt, tahini, walnuts, flax seeds, banana, blueberries, and water. For dinner I have a big salad with veggies, fruits, beans, nuts, and plain yogurt mixed with balsamic vinegar as the dressing. Sometimes for dinner I'll roast a piece of fish and some veggies in the same oven and cook quinoa on the stovetop. 20 minutes! And sometimes for breakfast I'll have half an avocado and a poached egg on a piece of whole grain toast. About once per week I have a frozen dinner (I'm choosy there) from the organic store instead of my homemade lunch. If I need a snack, it's hummus and lettuce. My splurge breakfast is dry oatmeal mixed with yogurt in the refrigerator overnight and topped with dried cherries and nuts.
  • kmc2407
    kmc2407 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! It's good to know there's others out there on the same path and who is kind enough to share their knowledge along the way.

I'm definitely trying to get my food logging under control, which seems to be easier than making myself exercise lol... I'm taking baby steps but I've been reading a lot of success stories from other women. It seems the general consensus from what I've read online + here is to make it a lifestyle and habit is start with one thing at a time. I have a bad habit of trying to juggle it all from the get go as hard as I can go then giving up pretty quickly. I also set unattainable goals for myself in the amount of time and what I'm willing to work. I've decided I know my ultimate goal is to be in the 160s but I'll set no time limit or goal just do everything I can to get there. I'm working on food logging first and it's insane when you realize how many calories are in what you eat and you don't lie to yourself how many servings you just consumed
  • kmc2407
    kmc2407 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ugh I wrote a lot more above :( why did it cut it off?!
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Focus on your eating first. I started at 258lbs last July and have lost 83lbs since then without ever stepping foot in a gym. Only recently in the past month have I began to get on my treadmill and run, along with starting the 30 day shred workout a week ago. Weight loss happens in the kitchen. Make small changes, weigh and log all your food, and you'll see a change :)
  • Harbin2017
    Harbin2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I also had my daughter 11 months ago. I've lost 5 kg now in 6 weeks after cleaning up my diet. I dont't have much to lose, my CW is 66 kg so i have to lose another 6. In a day i typically have omelette for breakfast (2 eggs, scallion, skim milk, zucchini or bell pepper). Chicken with vegetables for lunch and leftovers for dinner. My daily calorie intake is 1400 per day. I do allow occasional piece of chocolate. I excluded soda though. Try green tee or black coffee instead