Options
I'm fairly new to the site, I've been here for a little over a week. My goal is to get to a healthy weight of 155 and currently I'm at 245. I was mostly skinny until around age 12 and then my weight kept going up and up. Now at almost 24 I have decided it is time to do this for myself and get healthy so I can have a better life. Eating healthier is definitely not easy for me especially because I work in a bakery. I would love to exercise but having to spend extra money to go to a gym is hard to come by. I have tried working out at home but I lose motivation quickly. This past week has been really hard since I've kept my calorie intake at around 1200-1550. I felt like I was constantly starving so now I have changed it a little to allow myself to be around 1800-2000 a day. Any advice/recipes/ideas would be much appreciated! I'm excited to meet everyone! We can do this!:happy:

Replies

• Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to the site, I've been here for a little over a week. My goal is to get to a healthy weight of 155 and currently I'm at 245. I was mostly skinny until around age 12 and then my weight kept going up and up. Now at almost 24 I have decided it is time to do this for myself and get healthy so I can have a better life. Eating healthier is definitely not easy for me especially because I work in a bakery. I would love to exercise but having to spend extra money to go to a gym is hard to come by. I have tried working out at home but I lose motivation quickly. This past week has been really hard since I've kept my calorie intake at around 1200-1550. I felt like I was constantly starving so now I have changed it a little to allow myself to be around 1800-2000 a day. Any advice/recipes/ideas would be much appreciated! I'm excited to meet everyone! We can do this!:happy:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site! There are some wonderful recipes in the recipe section of the site. There are some great posts that offer advice and are motivating as well. You may want to check out the newbie post if you haven't already.
    I'm sure working at a bakery is extremely hard but just take it one day at a time. And if you trip up forgive yourself and start again.
  • Coach2010
    Options
    Congratulations on finding the MFP! This is a place to get information and inspiration.

In reading your info I can only imagine the challenge, as baked goods are my weakness.

I encourage your efforts, your endurance, and encourage you tokeep up the dialog so the MFP crew can champion your efforts. Oh... and please check out the tools. They helped me a lot.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Welcome:drinker: This is such a great site. Wander around trying out all the gadgets - you will learn so much from posts and receive lots of encouragement and motivation here. I know several thin bakers - so I know its possible! Be strong - develop a plan and stick to it - and above all be patient with yourself. Learning a new lifestyle is like learning a new language - it takes time - and then one day, you just suddenly realize you really do understand the language and can speak it fluently!:flowerforyou:
  • rosered51
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Good luck on your weight loss journey...make sure you are drinking your fluids...they really do help to fill you up...and your will power is much greater than mine...working in a bakery...I would probably be 3 x my size! I can't imagine. Stay on here, we will keep you uplifted!

Starting the first step is 1/2 the battle...I don't belong to a gym either...I can't afford the cost, but I have a girlfriend at work that we walk together,and my dog loves to walk also...you can lose weight in your own home and around your own neighborhood at no cost...YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Stay here, we will help you be motivated!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    YES! WELCOME! That has to SUCK! I couldn't imagine working in a bakery while trying to lose weight. But here is a funny thing. For some odd reason, I LOVE, and I truly LOVE watching the FOODNetwork while dieting. Call me crazy but my 2 favorite shows are unwrapped and Fried Foods. lol- I guess it is a self-discipline thing. Best thing to realize is there is no avoiding it. Especially for you considering your going to be consumed in it all day. I sometimes find myself wondering into the bakery section at stores. It is almost just as great of a feeling saying NO to those foods as watching the weight come off!

Best advice would be to realize that this isn't going to be a sprint with that amount of weight. Realize that your goal is a long-term one, and the first step to change, you have already made! Congrats.

Second, don't focus so much on working out. I can't stress how much more important diet is than exercise. If you can just clean up your diet in the upcoming months without working out, you'll lose weight. Obviously you'll only progress that much further if you do start introducing a workout regiment but DO NOT burn yourself out. It is now the 2nd month of the New Year, and trust me. You should see my gym in the mornings. From the 1st until Feb 1st, there is about 100 less people now, WHY? Because everyone was way to hardcore. Realize that you don't have to go 90 to nothing. Take it at your pace, and if you slip up here and there so what. Focus on the long term by acting in the short. Good luck and remember that were here for you. If you get a craving, read. It helps calm the storm, and before you know it your writing novels (like I am doing now, yes I have a craving)

:bigsmile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site, if you don't already. I love it here, everyone is really nice, supportive and helpful. This site is so motivational. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.