Is it possible?

Options
So i want to loose this weight. I am tired all the time, tired of feeling this way and not recognizing myself in pictures. I want to be able to wear cute clothes and just be that person that can say "yes i was obese, but look at me now!" But sometimes i feel like its impossible, i know excuses are a dime a dozen but i am a single mom with no close family, i dont have much money for a gym membership that also has a daycare, or for decent workout clothes or shoes or good food. Its cheaper to buy that frozen pizza than it is produce.

And can i really drastically change my eating habits? I know some people can but i eat out almost every meal.. no exaggeration... breakfast, lunch and dinner when i eat them from a drive threw. I am notorious for skipping meals and will at times not eat all day. If i try to force myself to eat how and when i suppose to, will i really succeed or will i be miserable and start cheating and fail? I know yall cant tell me everything as only i can, but do i go all out or do i start small.. how small? What do i do first? This is all so overwhelming!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Just eat less of what you already eat,

Try to move a bit more and that is all you need to get started.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily need to exercise to lose weight. But if you'd like to, I would suggest perhaps walking with your children. Make it fun. Find trails in local parks maybe. You can also find "Mommy & Me" exercise programs online that you can do at home with your kids. Otherwise, try doing something after they go to bed. Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds videos are great.

Food-wise, try making things from scratch and find a few cheap staples that you like. Eating healthy doesn't need to be expensive. Eggs are super cheap and full of nutrition. Frozen veggies, frozen tilapia, canned tuna (in water), canned chicken breast, popcorn, string cheese, and brown rice are all affordable and healthy options that you can find at any grocery store. Hot tea (unsweetened or with splenda or stevia) also helps with hunger because it fills your stomach. Drink more water too.

Make small changes. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Start by increasing the amount of liquids you drink in a day. Then try to add fruit or veggies to every meal. Eat more lean proteins. Eat a little less, such as 2 slices of pizza instead of 3. Go for a walk a few times a week. Losing weight and keeping it off is a lifestyle change. Just do a little at a time to build new, healthier habits. And don't give up! If you fall off the wagon, just get back on. A small mess-up is nothing in the long run. Just do your best.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    If you can afford to "eat out every meal", you can afford fresh fruit, baby carrots, celery (or veggie of choice), nuts, string cheese and/or a plethora of other healthy foods that are just as filling and will cost no more.
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You can still eat out. You just have to eat less.

For example, for breakfast get a coffee black or with milk. Get a Dunkin' Donuts ham, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich on an English muffin (320-350 calories)

For lunch, eat a McDonald's Big Mac with water (563 calories)

For dinner, eat a McDonald's Artisan Grilled Chicken sandwich with water (380 calories)

For those 3 fast food meals, you've eaten 1,263-1,293 calories.

Study fast food menu nutrition. You can eat fast food and still lose weight. You don't need to exercise. You'll lose weight just by eating the above or similar.

If you get fries or soda, you can easily bring those calorie counts to 2,500 or more and gain weight. So watch what you eat carefully.
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Note, that I said you CAN eat fast food all the time and lose weight. You'll be hungrier doing this than eating better foods with the same amount of calories. But you can start this way, then find other foods with more nutrition, carbs and protein to allow you to get through the day easier. And drink LOTS OF WATER. Water can help curb your appetite. Diet sodas don't help curb your appetite as well as water does.
  • Lizzy270116
    Lizzy270116 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Reading this really reminded me of myself. I can really understand how you feel and it is overwhelming in the beginning but trust me you can do it! You just need to really really want this and focus on the good things that you have in life to motivate you.
    I used to always eat out for almost every meal that I had but when I realised that this food was full of bad stuff, I started to carry with me packed lunch and snacks to make it through the day. As rhaiin said, you can always go for a walk every day with your children or do simple exercise routines at home.
    The most important thing I've learned from a close friend was that I needed to stop being sad because I've lost so many years fighting to lose weight and I needed to focus on everything that I had positive in my life. Being sad brought me nothing positive, I was only sabotaging my progress.

So, my advice is:

1st - smile and be happy, believe in yourself

2nd - You can just try to reduce the portions of what you eat and exercise 20 min/30 min per day.

Sending good vibes your way :)
  • arose1122
    arose1122 Posts: 167 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yes, it is possible.
    i dont have much money for a gym membership that also has a daycare, or for decent workout clothes or shoes
    You don't need it. You don't need formal exercise to lose weight. If you WANT to do it, do it. Start with just walking or vigorous outdoor play with the kids.
    Its cheaper to buy that frozen pizza than it is produce.
    Sure, it can be, but honestly frozen veggies are inexpensive and just as good as fresh. If you can afford fast food 3 times a day, you can afford frozen chicken breast and veggies and other good food to last a week. You just have to decide you want it enough. If it's just easier to eat fast food, just be smarter about it. All the major places have all their nutrition information readily available.
    I am notorious for skipping meals and will at times not eat all day.
    If that works for you then do it. It's called intermittent fasting. You just have to make sure when you are ready to eat, you eat within a predetermined limit.

You don't have to be miserable. You SHOULDN'T be miserable. If you are then you are not likely to stick to it. Just start by honestly logging what you eat and you will be surprised at how much you are actually consuming and making little changes gradually. It will be easier to sustain.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    if you have access to the internet educate yourself on how to lose weight. When i first started it was foods that I never would have tried (avocados/Squash and Zucchini) but I read the benefits of them and gave them a try and I love them now.

You can do it...you just need to put yourself first instead of last. Prepare to lose that weight. And that is budget and plan your grocery list for your healthy items. You got this! You really can do this.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    If you eat out every meal, consider eating out less and making more at home so that maybe once you're a few months into weight loss, you CAN afford a gym membership (that most certainly isn't required, I get most of my deficit creating exercise parking far from the door and walking to placed)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    hkincaid87 wrote: »
    So i want to loose this weight. I am tired all the time, tired of feeling this way and not recognizing myself in pictures. I want to be able to wear cute clothes and just be that person that can say "yes i was obese, but look at me now!" But sometimes i feel like its impossible, i know excuses are a dime a dozen but i am a single mom with no close family, i dont have much money for a gym membership that also has a daycare, or for decent workout clothes or shoes or good food. Its cheaper to buy that frozen pizza than it is produce.

And can i really drastically change my eating habits? I know some people can but i eat out almost every meal.. no exaggeration... breakfast, lunch and dinner when i eat them from a drive threw. I am notorious for skipping meals and will at times not eat all day. If i try to force myself to eat how and when i suppose to, will i really succeed or will i be miserable and start cheating and fail? I know yall cant tell me everything as only i can, but do i go all out or do i start small.. how small? What do i do first? This is all so overwhelming!

I don't think drastically changing your eating habits is a good idea. I mean if you had health issues and HAD to change something, that's different. Your motivation is greater.

But when many people make extreme changes, or eliminate favorite foods.....it's a temporary thing. This in turn makes the weight lost a temporary thing.

You can eat exactly the same things (in smaller portions) and lose weight. However, because you have fewer calories to work with.....get used to being hungry and having open spaces on your dinner plate.

OR you can change some things. By making a larger percentage of your calories "healthier" you get more bang for your buck. Pick and choose your middle ground.

You skip the drive through (sometimes) by PLANNING ahead. Can you eat fast food 7 days a week? Sure, but your selections are going to be rather limited if you want to keep your weight in check. This is going to get old fast. Plan by meal prepping and/or creating menus before you shop. Pack a lunch & snacks.....no need to go out to lunch everyday.

Exercise and/or be more active. This does not require a gym. Test drive free workouts on YouTube. Find activities you like to do and be active for a lifetime. Active people use more calories. A pedometer can help you get started. Look at your daily step counts and add 1,000 steps to that total every couple weeks.

I make pizza from scratch (now). But beginners - start with a thin crust frozen CHEESE pizza. Add your own turkey pepperoni (70% less fat) & some chopped veggies. Eat less pizza and then serve with a side salad. The veggies have fiber which are healthy and filling.
  • hkincaid87
    hkincaid87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the helpful advise. I really do want to loose this weight. My first goal is to get below 200. I havent been below 200 in over 10 years!! Id love to accomplish it before im 30 but it may be a little unrealistic to loose 60lbs in 4.5 months.. so ill be happy with loosing as much as i can before then!