Loose Skin: helpful tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Your story got me worried about my future weight loss as I'm menopausal as of last year so I expect crappy elasticity.

I found pop articles about reducing the risk of excess skin. They suggest eating excess protein and taking gelatin (by default is made from beef, if anyone has cultural food restrictions or food sensitivities; if from other animals it will be marked. Same effect regardless of source.) and/or fish oil supplements.

They also say that if you have more than a couple of millimeters raised when you pinch up skin, it means there is still a fat layer there and that if you can get to 20% body fat (women) or 10% body fat (men) the problem may greatly reduce itself.

They also recommend weight lifting. Some sites claim this is recommended not only to plump up your underlying muscle to fill the loose skin more, but also to stimulate subcutaneous collagen production that tacks your skin down to underlying tissue.

Though the articles aimed at prevention, I would imagine these things help if you already have excess skin problems.

Medical sites only discuss surgery. However you must consider a few factors about medical practice--if docs say something is going to work, it has to work and has to have been proven by peer reviewed studies etc. Surgery works to remove the skin problem for all comers over a short period of time with the effect clearly linked to the action. Some of these other methods may work for a small percentage of folk or for folk with a particular genetic make-up, so when they try to study them the effects can be so confounded by other factors that the improvement may not be 'statistically significant' across the general population with widely varying genetics. But, it might work for everyone who has a particular version of gene A a particular version of gene B, so its worth trying in case you are one of those people. Also, something may work fine but there isn't sufficient profit potential in it for anyone to fund the research to prove it.

Anyway, the recommendations of the pop websites seem harmless enough and low-cost enough to try while you consider all these other issues to protect your skin. I'll be trying.

PS-yes, talcum powder causes cancer. I don't think it is legal in the US anymore, but avoid it in the event you come across any.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Hopefully talcum product is no longer on the market; it's associated with ovarian cancer.

This is why I'm worried to use any powder, but I will do my research and see if there are good talc free options.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    Even though you are still actively losing, you can still buy a piece or two of compression wear. Every show I watch with people who have skin removal surgery, they all wear compression wear before hand to stop the rubbing and chaffing and general uncomfortable feeling. Apparently, it does help somewhat.

Do you know much about the available products? I worry about bathroom use and the ease of going about my day. I drink a lot of water and tend to wear yoga pants /athletic pants to work because of the activity level.
  • brb_2013
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ejsilvi wrote: »
    Hit the weights big time ! And more cardio- look into doing Kettle bell workouts too

I've lost 75, I think I'm doing fine. These won't fix lose skin, to the extent that I already have I know how much worse it will get. It will not bounce back no matter how many weights I lift.
    Edit: this is just a problem I've grown to accept. I was too heavy for too long for me to expect it to get "better", the overhang will persist. It may tighten on my arms and thighs but the belly is just how it will be. Accepting is a part of my journey.

I eat a nice amount of protein and have reached a point where my home workouts aren't challenging anymore so I've joined a gym and will be moving on from body weight to true weight lifting. Just didn't have the resources beyond a 15lb dumbell at home. But I know that won't fix the problem I already have.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    Try to stick to natural breathable fibers in your clothing. Maybe something like cotton leggings with a skirt over it.

You might even consider 100% cotton pads in the problem regions, that way you can change out the pads when you get uncomfortable and need to freshen up. If they're quilted cotton, they can be laundered and dried when you do a load of clothes. You may still sweat, but there will be air circulation and bacteria will not be a factor at least. Spanx and other compression garments can be hot and are not a nice fabric, especially if you're concerned about bacteria/smells that result from bacteria. I don't recommend those at all.

Thank you VERY much, this addressed most of my concerns and I hadn't thought of a reusable towel type option, I think I could make that work. I worry about Spanx and compression clothing just for the ease of bathroom use, I drink tons of water and need trips to be quick because I'm a nanny of infant twins recently mobile!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I think lowly cornstarch probably does a good job as a talcum powder substitute. I don't think it has any known toxicity--but for that reason in pure form it isn't antibacterial. (pop article on that here: http://www.womansday.com/style/beauty/a54342/cornstarch-makeup-trick/)

So look for cornstarch in products intended for skin (a search for 'skin cornstarch' came up with a bunch of products from well-known companies eg Goldbond). Presumably these have antibacterial agents added.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    fit_chickx wrote: »
    Check with your Dr. And insurance company. Some will assist in coverage of plastics if you have medically documented rashes or mobility issues.

I'm looking for options to improve comfort now through the end of my journey. I'm no where near a reasonable goal weight so it's just not even on the radar to involve doctors. Looking for day to day comfort ideas. Thanks though :) I highly doubt I will ever get a doctor approval, I think those cases are for people who have lost even more than I will have and have it hanging to their knees
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    fit_chickx wrote: »
    Check with your Dr. And insurance company. Some will assist in coverage of plastics if you have medically documented rashes or mobility issues.

I'm looking for options to improve comfort now through the end of my journey. I'm no where near a reasonable goal weight so it's just not even on the radar to involve doctors. Looking for day to day comfort ideas. Thanks though :) I highly doubt I will ever get a doctor approval, I think those cases are for people who have lost even more than I will have and have it hanging to their knees

I don't have anything to add what others have said. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your refreshing attitude. Don't write of surgical support. One of the things they look at is if it is causing complications for you. By the time you are at your goal, that may be the case for you. I wish you all the best!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No to all the powders! They chafe.

This is the wisdom from my post bariatric community.

Wicking fabrics, good.

Spandex keeping it all tucked in, good.

https://www.bodyglide.com

The runner community here have noted that Vaseline works well and is a lot cheaper than the bodyglide.

At home at night keep the area clean and dry.

My sympathies, and I promise you, you are not alone.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Diaper rash cream applied daily will help protect the skin and rashes. Congrats on your loss! Don't let this discourage you, at all. Keep it going.

I think accepting that my journey is to health not to a certain appearance is huge. I haven't noticed any rash or irritation it's just uncomfortable for now, but I'm taking notes and figuring out what's reasonable to spend money on now that will just keep the day to day more manageable. Thanks for your support! I've been 25lbs lighter than I am now before, but never lighter than that so I'm eagerly working toward uncharted territory, just expecting this overhang to increase!
  • alaskandelight
    alaskandelight Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1.) YOU ARE A ROCK STAR! Congratulations on your success!

I know EXACTLY what your talking about. On my own journey I can tell you that adding a skin brushing routine before bathing really does help. Using coconut oil after and REALLY massaging your skin helps too. However, nothing beats staying hydrated and trying core specific work outs (I like Hot Hula or Core de Force.) You may also consider taking a biotin supplement (for hair, skin, and nails) for good measure. I use compression wear when I'm active and let everything air out at night. Specifically look for "sweat wicking" boyshorts that go up to or past your belly button and don't be afraid to size up to be comfortable. I don't really have issues with using the bathroom, but I'm not packing myself into clothing either. aka no elastic band lines.

Believe it or not, your skin will retract if you make an effort to take care of it. Consider it well deserved pampering. It's all about being kind to yourself...including your skin. ;-)
  • michelle77090
    michelle77090 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am afraid of this as well, there have been some good suggestions that i am willing to try.
  • monet4190
    monet4190 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt I will ever get a doctor approval, I think those cases are for people who have lost even more than I will have and have it hanging to their knees[/quote]

It still might be an option in the future, although I certainly understand waiting until you reach your goal weight. Most companies have requirements that you lose X pounds (sometimes a percentage of body weight), have maintained weight for 6-12 months and have documented problems with sweat/discomfort/rashes. And the docs who do these surgeries request insurance coverage for them all the time, so they'd be able tell you exactly what you need. (I used to work in health insurance.) Just something to think about in the future, if you are even remotely interested. :)

• tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    ^I've heard the recovery time and discomfort are no joke too. I wouldn't consider it unless it was causing very serious problems.
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound funny but try pads (kotex) they absorb the sweat and order..u can change them at anytime and dispose of them..it will at least keep u dry and prevent rashes ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, your skin will retract if you make an effort to take care of it. Consider it well deserved pampering. It's all about being kind to yourself...including your skin. ;-)
    All skin will retract to a point. With people who were very overweight or obese though, that may not happen to the point that there is no loose skin. Regardless of how much moisturization and taking care of it they do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ah poor girl!! I know you said you might not be able to afford the skin removal surgery anytime soon, but if it's causing issues perhaps health insurance might cover some of the cost? If not then it's time to start saving! My tummy skin removal was about 12,500 $ and I *kitten* you not was worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY.