MapMyWalk vs MFP for calories burned

Options
I'm finding MapMyWalk (MMW) is way higher in a calorie burn than MFP. Here was the latest discrepancy. I'm curious if someone has a knowledgeable opinion which is more likely to be accurate.

Today I walked 2 miles in 41 minutes; essentially 3mph). I'm a 253 pound 46 year old woman walking on a mostly flat loop in the park.

MMW says I burned 410 calories.
MFP says a 41 minute walk at 3.0mph is 259 calories burned.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I am not intending to eat back cardio calories anyway so it doesn't really matter other than my OCD would like to take a break from synching the walk into MFP but then having to override the burn count.

Replies

• MarJan5680
    MarJan5680 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have found this to be the case as well. I have asked around but nobody seems to have an answer. I just go with the lesser number and strive to increase steps any way I can. Better to underestimate than to overestimate and be more discouraged. I have heard, though, that the more you way the more you burn in the beginning. Eventually, though, it kind of evens out.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Most people here seem to agree (with Runner's World) that when you're walking on flat ground, you can use this formula:

calories burned per mile = (your body weight in pounds) * 1/3

That yields about 170 kCal which is closest to MFP's estimate.

You should eat your exercise calories back, just like you should put gas in your car after you drive it, for the same reasons.
  • omgstfualready
    omgstfualready Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks. When I get back to strength training I'll be eating more for sure to feed the muscle growth. Right now I don't eat them back yet because MFP put me at 1200 or 1300 calories and I reset it to 1500 calories a day (and would be okay if I went to 1600 a day) so burning a couple hundred (per MFP anyway) shouldn't mess up the old (literally) metabolism. I like the calc of calories, that's very interesting and accommodates burning less as you weigh less which is sensible. Thanks!!!!
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    How do you like MapMyWalk? I've been considering using it for my walks on my lunch break, but I don't know if it's just another gadget (so to speak) or if it will actually be helpful.
  • omgstfualready
    omgstfualready Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like it. I use it for a few things. First, the cues as to how far I've gone and secondly the pace.

I set it for 1/4 mile increments since I'm just starting out after years of inactivity, eventually I'll get it to half mile increments. At the set increment it tells you the time and the split pace based on a mile. Apparently I pick up speed as I go so that's interesting.

Then on the website I can see the overall improvement in the average pace. So I can see my walk on Friday was 1.55 miles at an avg 21:24min/mile and today I did 2.01 miles at 20:38mil/mile (and so on back to the first walk of 1:45 miles at 21:58min/mile avg). So I'm seeing I can walk longer at the same or better pace. I'm focusing on length of walking and not pace but it's nice to see it all improve.

It also guesses at the steps taken (said today was 4688 for 2 miles, probably a little high). NOTE: I don't have a fitbit or anything like that. I toy with it but I have not worn a watch in 20+ years and think it'll annoy me on my wrist. I may give in because it'll also annoy me to be told regularly what a lazy $ss I am and want to move to shut it up.

Anyway, I have my phone on me anyway to listen to the podcast (I'm a dork, I don't like music when I walk) so the MMW works right with it, cutting into the audio for the cues I've set. It's a free app and you don't have to synch it to MFP.