5k marine mud run

Options
I'm going to start training for the 5k marine mud run held in Pinnacle, NC on June 11. Any advice or training tips?

Replies

• jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am doing the USMC mud run in columbia SC in October.. you should do that one also!! We have 4 teams together already as of right now and I can trade training secrets with ya and vice versa.

Keep me posted!
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Run and work out !!!!...I'm hoping to get to one this year
  • carolynhaywood
    Options
    Thanks for telling me about that one! I think I'll do it! Here's my exercise routine for this month:

AM - Intense back exercises including sit ups. It mostly works my core and stretches my legs. I also do squats and lunges. - 30 minutes.
    AM - 4 mph walking with 2 lb weights to work out my arms and lats. - 15 minutes. I am increasing my distance by .2 miles beginning tomorrow and running to a certain point before I start with the weights, then running back. My goal is to stay within the 15 minute timeframe.
    Work break - 5 min running up and down stairs
    Mid - day - 4mph walk with weights for 15 minutes
    work break - 5 min running up and down stairs
    Mon and Wed pm:
    10 minutes running on treadmill at 30 degrees followed by weight training and ending with 10 minutes on treadmill again.
    90 minutes of hot yoga.
    Tues and Thursday - 1 hour of Zumba
    Friday, Sat and Sunday - weight training and treadmill running in addition to my back exercises and running/walking. 5 minutes of running up and down stairs each day hoping to increase to 10 min by end of month.

In June, I start a boot camp in the evenings and will continue Zumba and weight training.

I know that the Pinnacle route has a lot of natural terrain challenges, such as steep hills so I'm working toward increasing my leg strength and stamina. I am not a runner but since there are obstacles throughout, I figure I won't be running nonstop.

My goal is to complete the course in the average length of time of the total participants, but in the top 20% of my age group.

Any other advice you can give? Any specific areas I should concentrate on? I only have about 5 weeks to get ready.
  • carolynhaywood
    Options
    So I just checked out the photos of the obstacles on the run at Columbia. Boy howdy, do I have my work cut out for me! My husband has committed to train me this summer if I can find a team this week.

I am running in the individual race at Pinnacle and there are not as many obstacles in that one.
  • mungojerrie
    Options
    I just registered myself and three others for a team two days ago. I'm SO excited, but also nervous! I've never done one of these before. I'm alternating between Zumba, weight training, and cross fit to train for it. There really isn't any place in my neighborhood to run on something other than concrete (and I have shin splints so concrete is a NO GO) so I'm doing my running on the arc trainer.

I also thought maybe I'd go find a playground and do the monkey bars there once a week or so just to get my arms used to supporting my entire body weight. Anybody have any other ideas?
  • mungojerrie
    Options
    I thought the same thing after looking at all the photos of the obstacles. WOW!
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I just registered myself and three others for a team two days ago. I'm SO excited, but also nervous! I've never done one of these before. I'm alternating between Zumba, weight training, and cross fit to train for it. There really isn't any place in my neighborhood to run on something other than concrete (and I have shin splints so concrete is a NO GO) so I'm doing my running on the arc trainer.

I also thought maybe I'd go find a playground and do the monkey bars there once a week or so just to get my arms used to supporting my entire body weight. Anybody have any other ideas?

Look up some training videos for HIIT or I can send you some of the work outs we do. I am lucky to have 5 teams from the private gym I go to that is going on this. So we are changing most of our training over to accomodate the run. HIIT would be your best bet for this because its fast and its using all of your muscle groups at a time. Its very intense and super awesome!! WE ARE GONNA ROCK THIS THING!!!!
  • carolynhaywood
    Options
    I developed a herniated disc in my lower back a couple of weeks before the run and was unable to compete. I was really bummed. BUT I now have an entire year to get ready for next year. I also plan to do the October run next year as well, so I will have some time to find the right team.
  • roseml6792
    roseml6792 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know it's been a long time since the last post, but I was curious how it went. My fiancé wants to do one next year.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I run, do Crossfit, gymnastics, parkour, and yoga to prep.