Holistic Health

Options
SkittlesSeattle
SkittlesSeattle Posts: 16 Member
I know that all of the forums, or at least the majority, focus health through food. I am curious to know if anyone out there on this healthy lifestyle journey as gone on to practice holistic health.

If you have, I want to hear from you. What are some of your fave things and why?

I would like to try and make this a catalog type of thread so that for those who are wanting to go off the beaten trail can come to a place where there is someone who can (and kindly will) come along their side and help because they have been where that person is at now.

Replies

• SkittlesSeattle
    Options
    For instance: I have found taking Lion's Mane from Host Defense has helped improve my memory and mood tremendously.

http://hostdefense.com/lions-mane
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I find a nice lunch and a walk does the same thing.
  • Droppinelbees
    Droppinelbees Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Water fasting is tremendous for our health. However many are ignorant in this area starting with MFP itself as it forces me to put at least 1200 calories in my diary or I can't post it. On another forum someone reported one of my posts since I started talking about beet kvass for blood pressure and cleaning both the blood and liver, milk thistle for the liver, water fasting and other things. I actually had a message that stated "I have been warned". So much for open minds and freedom of speech. I know who it was too. I was very supportive to her but she was rude and didn't want to hear anything that deviated from her pharmaceutical medicine and horrible diet plan layed out by her doctors which is absolutely fine. I just have to share what worked for me or I'd be selfish for keeping that info to myself knowing just how powerful and effective it is. I'm down 56 lbs and for two years no longer suicidal so I must be doing something right. Yes, the natural holistic approach is now engrained in me and I'll never turn back.
  • SkittlesSeattle
    Options
    I am at the beginning of learning a new lifestyle which I want to encourage holistic health. Not that I don't believe or think that western culture can't help, but I have had to learn from personal experience that you have to be proactive and your own advocate.
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Amen! Western medicine has been failing me for years, and- similarly to @Droppinelbees - it was once I introduced more natural and holistic methods of treating my health problems that I began to see more marked improvement (I am willing to the possibility of a placebo effect, but that's true of any new fitness plan). My pain has been alleviated tremendously, I am able to breathe better, and my sleep has improved beyond words. I am a big believer in the medicinal potential for plants that can be grown in my own backyard, and I am so fortunate that my roommate is much the same way and we can learn and grow together.
    Lavender helps me sleep; aloe helps my liver not lose its health while I am on high-test meds for tuberculosis; arnica (of course!) helps me when I am having bad pain days; and eucalyptus has helped me see a world of improvement in my lung function as well as my anxiety. I generally feel better now than I did a year ago, relying on medicine for the promise of cures, which they could never deliver on. Maybe it's because I'm taking charge and feel more in control of my body, or maybe it's more- I'm not one to say. I can only say what's helped me and my health issues.
    Good luck!