Jogging Goal

Options
So i'm a big guy right now. Last weigh in 257 lbs but I have this goal of being able to jog 3mi without stopping.

I've done it before but I wasn't as heavy.

I'm using the same tactics as then tho and so far I am fine.

I start by jogging .25mi then walking .25mi alternating til i get to 3mi.

That was for the past two weeks.

Starting today i'll be jogging .5mi and walking .25mi. This for the next two weeks until I increase the jogging once more.

I'm excited! I feel i have the stamina the rest is just mental. It'll be about a 4-5min jogg straight at my 6.0 speed on the treadmill.

Put on some good music and i'll be ready to go!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Great job! Also check out the C25k program/app. That's exactly what it helps you accomplish and hundreds of people on MFP have started running that way. It is a proven and safe program.
  • KGZABST
    KGZABST Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nice! I'll def check it out. Thx!
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm a runner and firmly believe it's good for the soul. Don't be afraid to slow down though. Slow and steady win's the race :)

• eok902
    eok902 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Great job! Also check out the C25k program/app. That's exactly what it helps you accomplish and hundreds of people on MFP have started running that way. It is a proven and safe program.

Another vote for the C25k programme. It's a great way to build up your running. Good luck!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Nice work, @teckwiz654 !!
    I started running when I was 258 pounds and will soon be running in my first ultramarathon (at 210 pounds).
    If you put your mind to it, there's no limit to what you can do.

Like @brittyn3 suggests, though, take it easy. It takes time for your body to build up not just your stamina, but build up your bones, tendons, and muscle to handle the rigors of running. Running slow (you should be able to talk while running without gasping for breath) will get your body to make those adaptations. Running any faster than that won't make you adapt any sooner, but it will put you at greater risk for injury.

Good running!
  • KGZABST
    Options
    Hey thank you so much for that! I will take it all into consideration!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It's a good goal. I am trying to run a 5k this year. Last year I got to where I could run 2 miles without stopping, this year I'm almost back up to that in the first few weeks of spring so I have hopes I'll make it. My first 5k is in mid-May for Mother's Day. I don't expect to win it, but would love to be able to run the whole thing. We shall see. At the moment I do a combination of walking/running as well. I warm up with walking for the first five minutes then jog for up to two miles, then alternate walking and jogging the rest of the way on my 5 mile walk. I try to get that done 2-3 times a week.
  • KGZABST
    Options
    Nice man! Its such a fun goal and it sounds like you have come far! Good luck with that 5k man! U can totally do it!