Counting work/exercise on days off

Options
Can I count exercise on my days off? Even on days I'm not working, does the activity level remain the same?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm confused by the question...

Your activity level is basically an average of what you're doing day to day...
  • NaomiBusler
    NaomiBusler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh ok, so I can't count work as exercise (other than activity level) but I can count additional activity outside of work as exercise.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    People want this to be more complicated than it has to be. A lot of folks have come up with some weird rules. Let's see if we can simplify this a little bit.

If you want to lose weight (from fat), you need to burn more calories than you eat. They don't have to come from exercise, they can come from breathing and thinking and having a heart beat. For weight loss purposes, your body doesn't know the difference. On days you don't do any "intentional" exercise at all, you probably still walk back and forth to the bathroom to pee, those steps burn calories, so do other things you do throughout the day. Even if you're in a coma, you're burning calories.

We all include and eat back calories from our job, it's just that (1) most of us don't earn too many, and (2) most of us label it differently. That's what "activity level" is about, it's like the standard deduction in taxes, it lets you not itemize everything individually. Most people set their activity level to include their job. If you did that, you're already factoring work into your calorie goal, and you can't track it as an additional activity because that would be double counting (not because work is special and doesn't count, or something).

When you choose an activity level, you have a lot of choices that aren't very scientific. What's the difference between lightly and moderately active? Anyway, you're supposed to track exercise that's above and beyond your stated activity level.

A lot of people find it easier to list themselves as sedentary and have some device(s) track everything. That way you don't have to wonder if this should count or if it shouldn't.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Count purposeful exercise, not your day to day activities that you did before starting weight loss.
  • jetsman37
    jetsman37 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't even log my excercise. I just workout and still eat my target calories. When you log your excercise it just allows you to eat more negating the the hard work of excercise you put in.