Mfp adds too many exercise calories?

Options
When I sync my Fitbit, mfp seems to add way to many exercise calories, in my opinion. If I did anything extra besides go to work, cook, clean etc, I would understand, but if it's just my normal everyday activities and it adds 300-500 exercise calories, I think it's too many! Any thoughts?

Replies

• ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I had the same question and I figured it out from others here. How many steps are you getting. My NET is 1,900 calories and it was adding 300-500 calories as well without any formal exercise. This was just from my daily activity. I am getting anywhere from 10,000-11,000 steps a day which MFP considers that active so my NET increases. I have my settings set to low active so that is why my NET is 1,900. Yesterday I took my FITBIT off during exercise and my totals were 2,100 with 8,516 steps. MFP gave me a total of 2,135 so pretty much spot on and added. I have had my FITBIT for over a year and trust those totals so they are pretty similar. I have been taking my FITBIT off during exercise and using my Polar Heart Rate monitor because I feel it gives me a more accurate reading then my FITBIT for calories burned. At the end of the day I just add my exercise calories from my polar onto my daily totals.
  • kembry105
    kembry105 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't know what my net would be? Maybe 4000 if that is inactive during work and after work besides everyday things.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Not nearly enough information to answer your question. How many calories is your daily calorie goal? How much do you have to lose? What sort of work and daily activity do you do, and what did you set your activity level at on Myfitnesspal and on Fitbit? How many steps do you take in a day? There are probably more, but those are the ones that come to me off the top of my head. Things like your stats . . . age, height, weight might help to know if the number is reasonable also. Even how long you have been using your fitbit can make a difference from what I have heard.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    From my own experience, and what I've seen on the boards here, MFP is extremely generous with exercise calories. I, and others, only use about half of what MFP calculates.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's hard to say without knowing your stats. But for comparion sake, i get an extra 600ish calories imported into mfp for 16k steps.

5"8
    age 45
    149lbs
    Fitbit Alta ( no HR monitor)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    From my own experience, and what I've seen on the boards here, MFP is extremely generous with exercise calories. I, and others, only use about half of what MFP calculates.

People often say this, and at times it is likely true, however, I have encountered a number of people who lost all their weight using MFP exercise numbers eating all their exercise calories. Hence my suggestion of use the lowest number. Then over time if progress doesn't match what is expected, adjust intake to compensate either eating more or less.
  • Juggernautpint
    Juggernautpint Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Yes