Recovering addict new here

Options
My name is Sean i am in Washington I'm in recovery and 300lbs over weight. Been over eating since I was 9. No thyroid problem, just can't stop eating. Looking for help.

Replies

• ClydeGonRogue
    ClydeGonRogue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Sean, always good to see people take that first step. Health is everything in life! It sounds like you have a huge task ahead of you, it's going to be hard, and there will be days where you don't want to go to the gym, you'll want to go eat that fast food, and you will want to quit. But don't do that to yourself!! Take the time to educate yourself on good eating habits, take it easy at the gym too, results don't happen overnight. With your weight I would start with low impact machines like biking, and elliptical's. Incline speedwalking as well if your joints will take it. Good luck, stay strong, and stay true to what this app tells you to do!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Hey Sean, always good to see people take that first step. Health is everything in life! It sounds like you have a huge task ahead of you, it's going to be hard, and there will be days where you don't want to go to the gym, you'll want to go eat that fast food, and you will want to quit. But don't do that to yourself!! Take the time to educate yourself on good eating habits, take it easy at the gym too, results don't happen overnight. With your weight I would start with low impact machines like biking, and elliptical's. Incline speedwalking as well if your joints will take it. Good luck, stay strong, and stay true to what this app tells you to do!

The OP doesn't even have to go to the gym.

OP, just stick to your calorie goal, eat any foods you like.

If your a volume eater filling up on salad, green veg can help.
  • fkfl81
    fkfl81 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am on here daily and I'm happy to support and motivate any one who wants to help me be accountable as well. I've been on here 55 days and plan on making this a lifestyle. Please add me!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Hey Sean - glad you're here!
    I'm here daily as well - always eager to give encouragement - you CAN do this... you just have to take it one day at a time, one meal at a time.
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    Options

The OP doesn't even have to go to the gym.

OP, just stick to your calorie goal, eat any foods you like.

If your a volume eater filling up on salad, green veg can help.

At my heaviest I found exercise to be excruciating and demoralizing, though I enjoy it now. @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld is right, diet is the key.
  • mariewisediet
    mariewisediet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Sean,
    Yes, you do have a long road ahead. But every time you get a craving for junk food ask yourself if eating more of it gets you to the place you want to be in life. If it doesn't walk away. Easier said than done, but it often works for me because the discomfort of the extra weight makes me ask myself--'do I want to make that worse'? The very idea of making my problem worse is usually enough to quell the craving beast! Best of luck to you!
  • tatt2fatsean
    tatt2fatsean Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the vote in confidence. Taking it one day at time.
  • robiabby
    robiabby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Once I started to view myself as a "food addict," I had much more success with weight loss than ever before. Using some ideas from what they teach drug or alcohol addicts can be helpful, but because food is necessary to live, it doesn't always directly apply. Take it one day at a time, choosing/pledging each morning to do your best that day. I do daily calorie counting on mfp (including a listing of licks, tests and tastes) a weekly weigh in to see how I've done, and each pound lost would be like going to an AA meeting and getting a chip. And if you slip up, take heart, not all is lost, just get back "on the wagon" as quickly as possible. Be strong!!
  • tatt2fatsean
    tatt2fatsean Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a very active member of a 12 step program and I'm working on the over eating. I just don't understand how people stop eating when they are full.
  • mizsaratoga
    mizsaratoga Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new to the community, but have over 400 consecutive days logged in. Tracking everything I eat has been the key to maintaining my weight loss and setting 5 pound goals. As far as stopping eating after feeling full goes. Finding something else to do other than eat. Tracking your meal after eating is a habit that stops my eating & gives me time to think about what I ate & is a signal to go on to the next (non-eating) thing. Put some head phones on and listen to a really interesting podcast, go outside, anything to distract from food. I use food for comfort, but I'm slowly finding other ways to soothe myself. Be well & keep taking steps toward healthy eating each day.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Hi Sean,

I was an overeater my whole life too. I couldn't stop. I would call through the drive thru and get two burgers to eat on the way home before cooking dinner for my family and eating that too. And desert. And sneaky snacks. I was full of shame and self hate and could never get control of my eating. At the risk of sounding preachy, 4 years ago I made a crucial change, which saved my life. I never thought I'd be able to stick to it longer than a week or two (like in the past) but here I am. 87lb down and no longer at the mercy of food.

This website is where I started, and I went from there. https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Also, friend me if I can help.
  • Chicabear1
    Chicabear1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello there! :)