When is the best time to weigh myself?

Options
jusjoking
jusjoking Posts: 56 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So id like to weigh myself at least 4-5 times per week

I work 4x per week M,T,Fr,Sat and on those days I leave home at about 4am

On my off days I generally sleep in a good bit and I'll probably do intermittent fasting maybe until noonish

Unfortunately I do tend to have to pee several times per night lol. So I guess it makes the best sense to weight myself at approx 330am? That will be easy on the work days and on the off days ill generally wake up somewhere between 1-5 am anyway so that will still be pretty consistent

(I think I answered my own question)

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jusjoking wrote: »

Yup. But I think it is the correct answer. When you get up, pee and then weigh.

Track it in some kind of trending app. I use Trendweight.com Watch the trends and not the daily reading (says the guy thrilled his moring readin only went up .3 lb after eating Easter dinner).
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    In the morning before you eat or drink anything is likely to be the most consistent time.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I use the Aria wifi scale and hop on it at 4:30 every morning. It then auto logs it to fitbit app and sync to MFP. I can look at any day to see my weight and body fat % but even better are the trends and graphs. The more data points the better.
  • jusjoking
    Options

Track it in some kind of trending app. I use Trendweight.com Watch the trends and not the daily reading (says the guy thrilled his moring readin only went up .3 lb after eating Easter dinner).

what about this site, dont they have a similar thing?
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

They have a tracking of the scale readings, but not a trend calculation. The problem is is our weight fluctuates a fair bit day to day. So I can go up or down a few pounds from one morning to the next just based on what I ate and how much it affects my water retention. I can go back over my weight and pinpoint the days after I had sushi, as I use too much soy sauce and it will add 2-3 pounds over a couple of days. By using a trending app, these fluctuations get evened out and the downward trend becomes easier to see. Yes, I can see it in the long term without the app, but it helps see what is actually happening and not just what the scale said today.

Trendweight is updated automatically from my scale, but there are phone apps as well if you prefer.
  • jusjoking
    edited April 2017
    Options

They have a tracking of the scale readings, but not a trend calculation. The problem is is our weight fluctuates a fair bit day to day. So I can go up or down a few pounds from one morning to the next just based on what I ate and how much it affects my water retention. I can go back over my weight and pinpoint the days after I had sushi, as I use too much soy sauce and it will add 2-3 pounds over a couple of days. By using a trending app, these fluctuations get evened out and the downward trend becomes easier to see. Yes, I can see it in the long term without the app, but it helps see what is actually happening and not just what the scale said today.

Trendweight is updated automatically from my scale, but there are phone apps as well if you prefer.

what kind of scale??

I just ordered this scale for $50 http://promo.vanityplanet.com/body-analyzer-scale?utm_source=Igor+Opeshansky&utm_medium=YouTube&utm_campaign=igor&code=igor

I just looked at trendweight. U cant manually enter the weight? Ill probably just stick to this site to keep it simple
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

what kind of scale??

I just ordered this scale for $50 http://promo.vanityplanet.com/body-analyzer-scale?utm_source=Igor+Opeshansky&utm_medium=YouTube&utm_campaign=igor&code=igor

I just looked at trendweight. U cant manually enter the weight? Ill probably just stick to this site to keep it simple

I found a Withings scale on a clearance table one day so bought it.

Trendweight works if you have a WIthings scale or if you have a fitbit account. You can create a fibit account without having a fitbit, but yeah seems a bit silly.

If you want an app, Happy Scale is for IOS and Libra is for Android.

If you can take the ups and downs that will come with losing weight, then don't worry about it.

I don't know anything on the scale you picked, but just a heads up with some scales. My last scale would show me the same weight if my weight didn't change by more than ~ 3/4 of a pound. Some do this to fake being more accurate than they really are, but it annoyed me to keep seeing the exact same reading for days on end. So I learned to step on it with one foot only to reset it, and then step on it again to get my weight.
  • jusjoking
    Options

what kind of scale??

I found a Withings scale on a clearance table one day so bought it.

Trendweight works if you have a WIthings scale or if you have a fitbit account. You can create a fibit account without having a fitbit, but yeah seems a bit silly.

If you want an app, Happy Scale is for IOS and Libra is for Android.

If you can take the ups and downs that will come with losing weight, then don't worry about it.

I don't know anything on the scale you picked, but just a heads up with some scales. My last scale would show me the same weight if my weight didn't change by more than ~ 3/4 of a pound. Some do this to fake being more accurate than they really are, but it annoyed me to keep seeing the exact same reading for days on end. So I learned to step on it with one foot only to reset it, and then step on it again to get my weight.

yeah, no smart phone here, oldschool

yeah, thats interesting about the scales faking lol

my cheapo scale ive had for years is the total opposite. Its sort of a "kinder, gentler' scale. If you weight 3 times u get 3 varying measurements so u can pick whichever makes u feel better

my new scale hasnt come in yet. Im not too worried about microtrends etc. Im going to try to get the weight coming down and then only worry if it stalls for a week or so. (im guessing, what do I know? lol)
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

So, tin cans and string?

:)

my cheapo scale ive had for years is the total opposite. Its sort of a "kinder, gentler' scale. If you weight 3 times u get 3 varying measurements so u can pick whichever makes u feel better

What I said when I figured it out was "interesting".
    my new scale hasnt come in yet. Im not too worried about microtrends etc. Im going to try to get the weight coming down and then only worry if it stalls for a week or so. (im guessing, what do I know? lol)

2 weeks is a stall that you need to wonder about. A month is a stall you need to dig into. 2 months is an issue.

I've been the same weight for 2 weeks many times. Then down 3-4 pounds in as many days. I'm not alone in this.
  • jusjoking
    Options

So, tin cans and string?

2 weeks is a stall that you need to wonder about. A month is a stall you need to dig into. 2 months is an issue.

I've been the same weight for 2 weeks many times. Then down 3-4 pounds in as many days. I'm not alone in this.

I mean, I have a cell phone but I dont try to watch movies on it lol. Its for making calls and the occasional text. I cant do the modern "walking around face planted into a device" thing. Im old timey, I have one of those things called a laptop
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

So, tin cans and string?

I mean, I have a cell phone but I dont try to watch movies on it lol. Its for making calls and the occasional text. I cant do the modern "walking around face planted into a device" thing. Im old timey, I have one of those things called a laptop

Ahh. I'm old too. :)
  • jusjoking
    Options

now that u mention it, looks like my old scale does this. The first time you step on it, the lights blink for a while and it finally gives u the measurement. Then when u step again it sometimes just pops up the same EXACT weight instantly.

cheap bathroom scales. cest la vie

this morning I got these readings

lol

• 1reason2live4
    1reason2live4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Got really tired of seeing all the fluctuations. Now I weigh myself on the first of the month and log that number. No more second guessing and mid-week corrections. Measure, log, exercise. CICO. B)
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I use fitbit and trendweight the old fashioned way. I set up a fitbit account (I don't have a fitbit). I log my weight in there manually every morning (you can do this on your cellphone's browser or just directly in your laptop). The fitbit account syncs with trendweight so I just log in to my trendweight dashboard once in a while to see the trends. Plus, I somehow managed to sync all this with MFP (I think fitbit syncs with MFP?) so I can see my weight report on MFP too.

Nice to only have to input my weight once.