Tea makes me hungry...

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I keep reading how people tell others to drink some tea if they are hungry, and it just totally boggles my mind. Drinking tea (plain) always makes me hungry!

Is it just me? I like it though and it's my source of caffeine so I won't stop having it from time to time (green tea), but it just seems odd.

Replies

• MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Try brown rice tea.
  • belle19822000
    belle19822000 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I get super hungry 15-30 mins after 1 cup of tea.

I've noticed it this winter at the office. We made tea around 9, I waited a bit to cool down, and by 10 I wanted to eat everything! I have breakfast at 7, lunch between 12-13, and around 10 I eat a banana. This time, a banana wasn't enough.

It happened again few times, on different days of my menstrual cycle, so I eliminated PMS. It was just TEA. (any kind - camomile, herbs, fruit tea, whatever, same result!)
  • SaBh93
    SaBh93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    do you put sugar/ sugar replacements in your tea?
  • Francl27
    Options
    do you put sugar/ sugar replacements in your tea?

No, just plain. If I put a bit of milk it's fine though...
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Very odd. Seems to have the opposite effect on me. Not sure if there any correlation to sweeteners (as a previous poster was questioning), but I use rock sugar in my tea. I must drink 5 or so cups a day.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Really odd. Caffeine is an appetite suppressant. And hot drinks are great on a diet.

I'd go out on a limb here and say it's an old case of classical conditioning (the whole Pavlov's dog thing). Maybe you have associated drinking tea with eating a cake or biscuits or something because you have done it for so long, but now that you are dieting you have cut out the cakes/biscuits yet your mind is so used to these treats that you "feel" hungry.

My advice would be to drink tea and either have a "healthier" snack, such as some fruit or almonds/nuts. Try it for a couple of weeks and then see how you handle tea without the fruit etc.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Really odd. Caffeine is an appetite suppressant. And hot drinks are great on a diet.

I'd go out on a limb here and say it's an old case of classical conditioning (the whole Pavlov's dog thing). Maybe you have associated drinking tea with eating a cake or biscuits or something because you have done it for so long, but now that you are dieting you have cut out the cakes/biscuits yet your mind is so used to these treats that you "feel" hungry.

My advice would be to drink tea and either have a "healthier" snack, such as some fruit or almonds/nuts. Try it for a couple of weeks and then see how you handle tea without the fruit etc.

No, I've never had snacks with tea!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    warm tea increases your metabolism which in turn makes you hungry ....lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    actually tea makes me want to take a *kitten* ...but that is another story...
  • CarteFamily
    CarteFamily Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I guess this is an old thread. I found it doing a search, because every time I drink tea, I get super hungry. But it is magnified in the morning. When I drink coffee, I don't get this way. I figure it is because I have a good amount of raw milk cream in it. But my tea is just peppermint, ginger, and licorice.
  • glory2g
    glory2g Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. I drink plain black tea... no sugar or anything else is added. A short time after drinking it makes me want to eat all day!
  • Nawarti
    Nawarti Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Green tea lowers my blood sugar levels very quickly and it makes me so hungry.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Green tea tends to make me hungry, too. An herbal like peppermint keeps me full for ages, though.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Old thread but glad to see it's not just me! Yeah, peppermint is fine, but that's pretty much the only type that is.
  • hhbrmb
    hhbrmb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread! I thought I was losing my mind! I don't drink coffee anymore because it bothers my stomach, so I switched to herbal teas...after awhile of ravenous hunger, I finally put it together. I guess my life has dwindled down to a cup of hot water. Ha!
  • MelanieNicole2
    MelanieNicole2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today is the last time I ever have tea. It makes me so intensely hungry! I was doing great today but due to the tea added 500 extra calories. Oh well, glad to realize I'm not alone!
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I keep reading how people tell others to drink some tea if they are hungry, and it just totally boggles my mind. Drinking tea (plain) always makes me hungry!

Is it just me? I like it though and it's my source of caffeine so I won't stop having it from time to time (green tea), but it just seems odd.

totally agree. So does water, for me. Or rather, it doesn't solve hunger... slightly different thought. If I'm hungry it will make the hunger worse.

If you're hungry, check you're not eating empty calories maybe, and have more nutritionally dense foods. Some people say eat more protein, others eat more fibre. I say eat more fat, but I'd hope everyone agrees not to eat more simple carbs. That's just a rollercoaster of despair.