Any 40's trying to lose 40+??

Options
I turned 40 last year and my metabolism literally stopped after two back to back major surgeries within two weeks of each other. Anyone else feel like their body just went into hibernation when they hit 40?

Replies

• ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Gawd, please don't say that! I have just a couple weeks to go. I'm down my first 21 lbs but working to lose another 20ish. The key for me now is to start moving more...if I can avoid hurting myself. I am so clumsy. Lots of success on here though so I'm pretty pumped it'll happen. Are you able to exercise at all or are you just working on diet right now?
  • Bessarddavis
    Bessarddavis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my struggle too! I could easily drop weight and see changes in my body in my 30s, but I'm fighting a slower metabolism now. Same eating and increased activity can net no weight loss.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I spent all of my 20s and 30s eating whatever I wanted. Then I hit like 42 and my metabolism plummeted. I used to be able to hit the gym and watch what I ate and the pounds would melt off. Now I am 45 and I bust my butt at the gym and eat a healthy diet and the progress is sooooo slow. It's been very humbling. But I'm trying to focus on being healthy and trying not to focus on the scale.
  • 4Kayakers
    4Kayakers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Good to know I'm not alone! I'm 41 and in need of losing 60+. I've really started to re-dedicate myself to doing this, yet again. The exercising isn't the issue....I can do that and feel great....my willpower over everything hubby brings home is something different. But he said he would help....and the kids have started exercising with me.
  • NikkiLien2017
    NikkiLien2017 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @stephaniecovey I am able to workout again. The embarrassing part of all of this is that I'm a certified personal trainer. It's hard struggling in front of my clients, they understand what I've been through, but it's still hard.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Yep - 44 here and I have about 55lbs to go!!
  • NikkiLien2017
    NikkiLien2017 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @indigoblue9572 great job!! I am excited to follow you on your journey, I would love if all of us could be accountability partners!!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    @indigoblue9572 great job!! I am excited to follow you on your journey, I would love if all of us could be accountability partners!!

Absolutely! I was successful in losing over 100lbs from Jan 2011 to June 2012, but over the years, got married, lazy, stopped counting calories and working out and 65lbs came back on. I've lost 13lbs so far, since Feb 1. I'm excited to continue this journey, get to maintenance and then STAY COMMITTED!!!
  • Sigma28
    Sigma28 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent! Just turned 46 and need to lose ideally 50 pounds.
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 I changed my life style 41 days ago eating right, counting my calories in. Started going back to the gym, walking, hiking. So far I've lost 21.5 lbs. even though we are getting older we can still do it. Age is only a number, it might hurt a little more, take a little longer. We grew up playing outside staying active so it's already in us to do that. Just be positive there isn't anything our generation can not do.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 and I've never tried to lose weight in a healthy fashion. I've always been obese because I thought I couldn't lose weight "normally". To me, any progress is good progress. I've been using this app for 103 days, and I have lost 21 lbs. My goal is to lose 100 lbs. I've found all of my MFP friends have been valuable in helping me identify opportunities to improve, and not beat myself up <3

Feel free to send a friend request! I love following new journeys and cheering people on :)
  • jemjessik200
    jemjessik200 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jessica, I am 42. I've lost 40 pds counting calories with my fitness pal and way more to go. Nice to meet you!
  • kerrold
    kerrold Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and also find it harder now but i am determined to get back down to 10 stone or less. i have 2 young kids so really want to be as healthy and active as i can be so I can keep up with them and do everything with them. I have over 40 pounds to go! Friend request sent :)
  • childofares
    childofares Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and was underweight my whole life. Had a kid at 32, pounds melted off except for about 5 which I needed, got on a birth control which they think damaged my adrenal glands, had a knee injury and BOOM, 195 pounds and it's not moving no matter what I do.

It's depressing. The worst is my friends who say in that tone (we've all heard it) "Ohh, you look good though? Really!!" while they stare at my tummy.

Last week a guy at the store asked me if I was pregnant. I'm proud to say I didn't assault him but I did go home and cry for about an hour.
  • latinbarbie1
    latinbarbie1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well I'm almost 40.. yet I've struggle with my weight all my life and have found that I work out a lot more and eat better then before and just trying to mantain. . Went down hill after 35.... I want to lose at least 50.. looking for friends for suport
  • harrelle
    harrelle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I definitely fit in this group - metabolism slowed down for health / medical / age reasons and I need to lose over 50 lbs. I have a sedentary job, sedentary hobbies and am an introvert so not many friends. I could use some support.
  • Cmontgomery2010
    Cmontgomery2010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and my metabolism has definitely slowed down. I was just diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes as well. I have 40 pounds to lose. Looking for motivating friends on here.
  • Pandakins1969
    Pandakins1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    47 here and oh i hear you all on the slowed metabolism thing!! the weight loss is so much harder this time around...my own fault for not keeping it off last time. i have 65lbs to lose
  • CantonRC
    CantonRC Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My 40's have been full of surgeries repairing the damage I did in my 20's and 30's. Now everything I do is a compromise of what I would like to do.
  • pinelopi22
    pinelopi22 Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm 40, 41 next month. I have 68 pounds to lose, although my first goal is getting below 200, which I'm getting close to doing. (I'm already down around 15 pounds from last summer, although my progress has not been steady. Or should I say, my resolve has not been steady. :/ )