Fitbit/exercise Calories

Options
Rabia0202
Rabia0202 Posts: 5 Member
Hi I'm sorry in advance if this is a silly question but I've just started using mfp and synced with my fit bit. I'm not doing any vigorous exercise only my usual day to day walking is adding on exercise calories. Should I go ahead and eat these or just ignore them stick to my goal of 1200 given by mfp?

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    That is up to you. MFP is set up to have you lose with no exercise at all so a lot of people will eat them back. I only eat back a portion (25-50% depending on if I add weights or not) to create a larger deficit and to account for any errors in the calculation.
    Personally, I would stick with the 1200 and enable the negative adjustments to make sure MFP didn't already take those normal activity expenditures into their calculation. If after a week or 2 with that setup you have several hundred calorie credits each day and want to eat some of them back go ahead. I would probably not eat more than 50% of them though.
  • Rabia0202
    Options
    Ok that makes sense. Thank you
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Does your activity level on MFP line up with how much you move?

If you set it at Sedntary/low active, but are getting say 6 k + steps you are going to see a fairly large adjustment without exercise dine your day to day life is more active than you told MFP.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP gave you a calorie goal (1200 is the minimum) based on your stated activity level and your weekly weight loss goal. But you earned more calories because your actual activity level is higher.

In a perfect world you could eat 100% of your FitBit adjustment & lose weight at the weekly rate you chose. But calorie burns are estimates (not perfect).

I would start by eating back 50% of your FitBit adjustment. After a few weeks, see how that adjustment measures up. This is good information for maintenance. Some people find their FitBit surprisingly accurate, but others don't (model, activity type, etc).
  • Rabia0202
    Options
    Thank u guys x
  • Rabia0202
    Options
    From morning I've done about 4000 steps normal day to day stuff. It's converted into about 240 Cals. To eat 50% I shud only eat 120 cal ? Right?