Keto

Options
So I'm actively trying to take back control of my eating habits. Currently trying out Keto. 4 days in and no major issues yet. Anyone experience keto flu? How long did it take to kick in?

Replies

• TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Not everyone gets Keto flu...when Ive done Keto in the past I usually got a headache 2-3 days in and felt lethargic for a few days to a week. Bouillon or Powerade zero would usually help as well as magnesium for muscle cramps;) Good luck, but please let me tell you from experience that eating Keto or low carb is not a free pass to eat however many calories you want...as much as some ketoers will tell you that you don't have to track cals. If eating too many cals you will not continue to lose weight well after you drop initial water weight. For a lot of people, however, it does help you naturally eat less due to an appetite suppressant of sorts from being in ketosis...so that's a plus for many people:)
  • ruthlessflower
    ruthlessflower Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response. And I agree, I'm not trying to eat everything. I'm staying within my limits/macros and keeping to the diet guide for now. Once I'm more comfortable, I'll try and expand my tastes a bit more.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The Keto Flu I've experienced wasn't as bad as my first week or so of drinking over two to three gallons of water a day, the vibrations were strong.
  • apateterry
    apateterry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 days in on Keto. So far so good.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 day keto cleanse today. I'm hoping not to get keto flu. It doesn't sound pleasant and I have hard workouts I need to have energy for.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    "Keto Flu" doesn't need to "kick in" at all and is absolutely 100% avoidable. Keto flu symptoms are the direct result of electrolyte imbalance. For those who try Keto by jumping blindly in without doing their homework, FOLLOWING A KETOGENIC WAY OF EATING MEANS YOUR BODY REQUIRES A MINIMUM OF 3000MG-5000MG OF SODIUM (SALT) EVERY DAY!! The easiest way to get your salt intake up is to dissolve a bouillon cube in the appropriate amount of water and drink 2 bouillon cubes per day. Dill pickles and pickle juice are also good, quick and easy sources of sodium. Heavily salting your food is good too; however, it is nearly impossible to get enough salt every day by this method alone. I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    "Keto Flu" doesn't need to "kick in" at all and is absolutely 100% avoidable. Keto flu symptoms are the direct result of electrolyte imbalance. For those who try Keto by jumping blindly in without doing their homework, FOLLOWING A KETOGENIC WAY OF EATING MEANS YOUR BODY REQUIRES A MINIMUM OF 3000MG-5000MG OF SODIUM (SALT) EVERY DAY!! The easiest way to get your salt intake up is to dissolve a bouillon cube in the appropriate amount of water and drink 2 bouillon cubes per day. Dill pickles and pickle juice are also good, quick and easy sources of sodium. Heavily salting your food is good too; however, it is nearly impossible to get enough salt every day by this method alone. I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I got it about a week or so into the diet because I did not believe I needed that much sodium. Big mistake. Follow the above advice to avoid the electrolyte imbalance altogether.

Good luck.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

Good to know, looking at myfitnesspal from the recipes I've made I'm definitely getting enough sodium.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I had keto flu in January when I and my wife started this WOE. Its no biggie. Feels like a cold coming on and tired lethargic feeling for a few days and then its gone. Drink lots of fluids, I used powerade zero because you are losing lots of salt.

Then I noticed I wasn't starving to death 24/7....score!! :)
  • StarvingDiva
    edited April 2017
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    I had keto flu in January when I and my wife started this WOE. Its no biggie. Feels like a cold coming on and tired lethargic feeling for a few days and then its gone. Drink lots of fluids, I used powerade zero because you are losing lots of salt.

Prior to keto, in the last month I've been getting toe and foot cramps (like Charlie horses in your feet) its been bad and I do drink a lot of water, even prior to starting keto, my friend suggested to drink pickle juice when I get the cramps, now I'm guessing that's for the sodium?

• menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Prior to keto, in the last month I've been getting toe and foot cramps (like Charlie horses in your feet) its been bad and I do drink a lot of water, even prior to starting keto, my friend suggested to drink pickle juice when I get the cramps, now I'm guessing that's for the sodium?

Yup pickle juice is a good one its salty as heck. I was watching a video on YouTube of an ultra marathon and at some of the rest stops the runners were offered pickle juice to drink to replenish all the salt they were sweating out.
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For me it was days 2-6, but it was never as bad as I imagined.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options

Pickle juice, broth, salt tablets, salt the crap out of foods, bacon... all should help. Also, increase potassium and magnesium consumption will also help prevent or reduce cramping.

You can also do electrolyte supplements: NUUN, Zipp Fizz, Nutrihydration, Emergenc-C. Most are low in calories and like 1g of sugar

ps - drinking water won't really help as it can lead to dilution of electrolytes. Think of going to the hospital... what is the first thing they do? They give you Sodium Chloride to prevent dehydration.
  • CurlyHare
    CurlyHare Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    CurlyHare wrote: »
    For those that believe that the "keto flu" is due to the absence of salt, that is both true and false. Contrary to pop culture belief, your body doesn't need salt. The human body used a lot of energy to break down carbs. The keto diet cuts many of the usual carbs you consume, freeing up the body to implement energy elsewhere, like getting rid of bacteria and other toxins in the body (now that it doesn't have to focus on combating salt and excess sugar [glucose] from carbs). This is much more likely what is happening than that the body is craving salt. You may feel the cold/flu like symptoms for a little while, while your body is getting rid of the crud you don't need.

That is completely false. Sodium is absolutely needed for essential life. It's an electrolyte.
  • StarvingDiva
    edited April 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:
    ps - drinking water won't really help as it can lead to dilution of electrolytes. Think of going to the hospital... what is the first thing they do? They give you Sodium Chloride to prevent dehydration.

No, I was saying I do drink a lot of water which is why I may need more sodium.

• nwhoneybee17
    nwhoneybee17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did get keto flu about a well and a half in. Took an extra potassium supplement, added a little salt to my flavpred water, and ate a little bit of peanut butter with salt on it and felt much better. I don't think I was that bad though. Still feeling a little bleh (this was last night) but it definitely helped.