Struggling to hit my calories

Options
abs1970
abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
I'm about 400 calories under my total every day and struggling to hit my macros. Weigh 49kg and train every day (though I've been advised to cut this down to 4 x a week to see more gains). I have a low carb diet, eat three healthy meals a day and healthy snacks mid morning and mid afternoon & try to have at least one whey protein shake a day

Apart from the obvious 'eat more food' can anyone give me any advice please?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.

And yes, if you can't fuel your current level of activity, reduce it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    can you open up your diary?
  • abs1970
    Options
    Peanut butter
    :s
  • abs1970
    Options
    I'll open my diary @deannalfisher
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Ice cream!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What do you add to your protein shake? Maybe adding nut or seed butters (if you don't like peanuts there are loads of others you can try) or full fat yogurt, hemp seeds to hike the cals up easily.

Also granola, avocado, oils, full fat dairy, higher fat cuts of meats.. pretty much anything higher fat since you are low carb.
  • abs1970
    Options
    Thing is I don't want to be putting weight or fat on. I'm 20.58% body fat and ideally would like to be less.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    abs1970 wrote: »
    Thing is I don't want to be putting weight or fat on. I'm 20.58% body fat and ideally would like to be less.

If your initial goal puts you at a calorie deficit, then you aren't going to gain weight if you hit it.

• abs1970
    Options
    @sardelsa I don't really add anything - use Alpro coconut rather than water though.
  • abs1970
    Options
    This nutrition business is so damn confusing :D
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What is going on with your weight. Have you been losing, maintaining, gaining?
  • abs1970
    Options
    I'm maintaing my weight although I generally go up or down a little each month (curse of being a female!). I'm around 49kg now which is around a kg heavier than last year but I know it's muscle weight.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    eat a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter, a banana, or avocado. That will make-up the deficit. The other option is to cut your activity.
  • abs1970
    Options
    @Pirate_chick that's what I've been advised to do - cut my training from 7x to 4x a week - it's going to be a killer!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    :s

Why the face?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal?
    Are you eating back exercise calories?
    How accurate is your tracking?
    What are your overall goals? Lose weight? Maintain? Recomp?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaing my weight although I generally go up or down a little each month (curse of being a female!). I'm around 49kg now which is around a kg heavier than last year but I know it's muscle weight.

Did you set your goal to lose weight or to maintain it? If you are under your goal and maintaining your weight, then I wouldn't eat 400 more unless I wanted to *gain* weight. Either your goal needs to be adjusted or you need to log more accurately (if your goal is to lose).
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm about 400 calories under my total every day and struggling to hit my macros. Weigh 49kg and train every day (though I've been advised to cut this down to 4 x a week to see more gains). I have a low carb diet, eat three healthy meals a day and healthy snacks mid morning and mid afternoon & try to have at least one whey protein shake a day

Apart from the obvious 'eat more food' can anyone give me any advice please?

peanut butter
  • abs1970
    Options
    @TavistockToad I hate peanuts :s