Are there any fitness pro's on here that fell off the wagon?

Options
I'm looking for someone like myself that has at some stage been at a peak and fallen off the wagon. I am currently back on the wagon and working towards being my best again, but this is a challenge with patience etc and wanted to know if we have any others like myself on here?

Replies

• Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Does being pregnant count as falling off the wagon? If so, that's me! I was training for a marathon when I found out I was pregnant and went from doing a lot of exercise to not a lot! Looking to get back in shape and aiming at running a half in by next March.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'm a fitness pro...I didn't fall off any wagon, but I ruptured a disk in my C6/7 last summer and also busted my foot up pretty good which all resulted in about 4 months of not being able to do much besides PT and then another couple of months of really light duty. I've been working my fitness back up since January on the bike and in the weight room...I'm nowhere near where I was last year at this time.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 Ouch!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 Ouch!!!

Yup...it sucked...and I tried to come back too early a couple of times and just made things worse and prolonged the issue. Basically a couple of years of over-training finally caught up to me...
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Does being pregnant count as falling off the wagon? If so, that's me! I was training for a marathon when I found out I was pregnant and went from doing a lot of exercise to not a lot! Looking to get back in shape and aiming at running a half in by next March.

That's certainly more taxing than exercise, so unless you're craving cheese burgers I think you're alright :smile:
  • Dazzler21
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    @cwolfman13 Ouch!!!

Yup...it sucked...and I tried to come back too early a couple of times and just made things worse and prolonged the issue. Basically a couple of years of over-training finally caught up to me...

I know those feels of overtraining on comebacks, basically my last 10 years look like this...

When I was 18, I was a fitness instructor and weighed 73kg (11.5st) Body fat 15% I was happy at this weight, though not particularly lean.

I then became an office lackey and got fatter - The high was 85.7Kg (13.5st) body fat 26%.

5 years ago I decided enough was enough I wanted to propose to my girlfriend and knew I had to change to do it! I got lean I lost 9.5kg (1.5st) in 6 months and popped the question, she said yes and in celebration I signed up for and completed my first half marathon, then a full. I had lost 3st (19KG) and sat at 66.5kg body fat 7% .

Unfortunately after a year of successes I got injured. My running now consists of stop, start training and I have taken up weights to try and decrease the problems, but these haven't fully cleared up my issues, which take turns in cropping up again!:

Patella Tendonitis
    ITBand Syndrome
    Plantar Fasciitis
    Patella Femoral Pain Syndrome
    Shin Splints :neutral:

as you can guess, I have put weight back on in muscle and fat.

Sadly I am now at 81.2kg (12.9st) body fat 21% and looking at a half Marathon in September and November as a deadline to run a full marathon again.
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I competed in bikini class back in March 2015. Started to weight rebound around June and spiraled really bad into the winter. Pair that with a car accident and the end of my 3 year relationship and I gained 40 pounds. Spent most of 2016 feeling sorry for myself and wrapped up in a relationship with an addict/alcoholic so essential spun my wheels and made no progress. I'm back on track now (although admittedly not tracking my food in MFP right now, I've done it for so many years I get results without tracking, although I weight proteins and anything calorie dense).
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    No pro here but I went from running 6 days a week to hit and miss. I got so out of shape that I had to just start over after gaining 20 pounds. This is my second week of getting back to my old routine. I hope to get 30 miles in this week.
  • Dazzler21
    Options
    30 miles in a week on your second week back on it, is a sizeable challenge.
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was running marathons, teaching spin classes, and even doing some fitness modeling...then I had my daughter. I'm back to my previous weight, all my clothes fit, but my physical fitness level is pathetic. I just started going back to the gym yesterday (the "baby" is 1 1/2).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    I've never been paid for my cycling (although I have won prizes), however I have been an active cyclist since 1990 and a casual cyclist since the early 1970s. I rode recreationally, I commuted, I toured, I raced, and I rode long distances.

Then in 2009, I developed DVT which side-lined me for a while. I gained a bit of weight and my fitness level dropped off. I struggled to get back to doing the long distance rides, but just couldn't get up to the level I was at. Then in 2012 my husband and I spent 8 months travelling and cycling around the world. Then we moved and life was unsettled etc. I gained a bit more weight.

In 2015, I lost the weight and have been building up the cycling again. I had a really good year last year and this year has been going well too. :)
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I was at my highest weight of 145. Got down to 100 after 2 years. Sadly I gained back 12 pounds since I went back to my old eating habits which is overeating especially when my friends at work were taking me to food parks for dinner. Its almost like an eating buffet where you have a lot of food choices. Name it.
    Until one day I stepped on the scale and bam gained 12 pounds. What sucks is I can no longer wear my size 2 dresses. Until I decided this overeating has to stop. I wont go back to being a fat kid anymore. So there I'm back on track.