Totally freaking frustrated

Options
I just feel like I lost so much more weight when I wasn't counting my macros... When I was just eating low carb and eating ~1300 cals a day, I lost 60 lbs. Then, I started counting macros that were specifically calculated for me by my nutritionist and didn't lose anymore so she started me on Keto, which I found really difficult and it wasn't for me, but I lost 6lbs in 3 weeks but gained it all back over the weekend (obviously my fault). But it's extremely hard to stick to something your not happy with. Advice?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight on 1,300 calories, why not eat 1,300 calories (and include low carbohydrates, if that is something that makes it easier for you and fits your tastes)?
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've been maintaining a 50lb loss for years now and I've never counted/paid attention to macros. I track my calorie intake and eat what I like, simple as that :)
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Haley0888 wrote: »
    I just feel like I lost so much more weight when I wasn't counting my macros... When I was just eating low carb and eating ~1300 cals a day, I lost 60 lbs. Then, I started counting macros that were specifically calculated for me by my nutritionist and didn't lose anymore so she started me on Keto, which I found really difficult and it wasn't for me, but I lost 6lbs in 3 weeks but gained it all back over the weekend (obviously my fault). But it's extremely hard to stick to something your not happy with. Advice?

Find something that works for you, you need to find a way to lose weight that is sustainable for you so at the end of it all you don't gain the weight back. The 6 lbs you gained back was mostly water weight, I'm guessing you reintroduced carbs into your diet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So go back to what worked...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I could never do anything low carb/keto. I would freak out and binge within a couple of weeks. Everybody is different on what works for them. Your trainer is using a currently popular diet that doesn't happen to work for you. Go back to what works for you and just note the bump in the road for future knowledge.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    As the others are saying. There's no hard and fast rule. Eat less than you burn. Count your macros, don't count your macros. Whatever works best for you. Personally, I try to make sure I hit my fiber and make sure I don't get too high in sodium, but I eat a fairly balanced diet and my macros work themselves out over the weekly average. If it stresses you, it won't stick and thus it won't work.

ETA: Regarding the 6 pounds, did you eat approximately 21,000 calories? If not, it's likely water weight.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'd just go back to what works for you. I maintained a 100lb weight loss for 2 yrs and got lazy and stopped counting/working out. Put 65lbs back on and I'm back to doing what works for me. Already down 13lbs and still going strong!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    What is a nutritionist? Pretty much anyone can call themselves that because the term is mostly meaningless. Are you seeing a registered dietitian (board certified professional who obtained at least a bachelor's degree) or someone who has some certification from some organization saying they are a nutritionist? It's like the difference between seeing a personal trainer and an exercise physiologist. I will note weight loss gets harder/slower as time goes on. Losing the first 60 could very well be easier than losing the next 20 depending on how much you started at and how low you want to go. When your nutritionist gave you macros what were they? What were your macros when she had you try ketosis?
  • Haley0888
    Haley0888 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Guys. My nutritionist had me start counting macros because I got to a plateau with my initial weight loss, so I guess I'm just worried that if I go back to what I did when I first started, that I wont see results again. I'll try it though and we shall see! And yeah, I'm not too worried about the 6lbs, but I know at least 1lb of that 6 is fat. LOL
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »
    ETA: Regarding the 6 pounds, did you eat approximately 21,000 calories? If not, it's likely water weight.

This ^^^^^

You did not get 6 pounds fatter, i.e. you didn't gain fat, you held fluids, which your body regulates based on need.

• Haley0888
    Haley0888 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

This ^^^^^

You did not get 6 pounds fatter, i.e. you didn't gain fat, you held fluids, which your body regulates based on need.

Read above comment :wink:
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

This ^^^^^

Read above comment :wink:

Yep. Saw that after I posted. I had the post sitting there and got distracted before hitting the "Post Reply". Congrats on your progress.