around the house exercise?!

Options
katieevo1992
katieevo1992 Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi guys I'm a single mum of 3 and IV always kept myself fit until recently not sure what's happened but iv become a slob and i need help.
IV thought about joining gym, going running etc but i literally have 0 time away from my kids until youngest starts nursery January. So can people please hit me with something i can do around house to burn calories ? Or fitness dvd that's good? All advice greatly appreciated xxx

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    you tube and Pinterest have a ton of home workouts.
    A few times a day you can do the following:
    40 jumping jacks
    30 squats
    20 sit ups
    10 pushups

takes about 3-5 minutes per round

Also if you have stairs, walk or run up and down them. Take little mite for a walk if the weather is good (always put mine into sleep mode). There are some videos for "baby and me" workouts where the little one is used as a weight too.
  • SophNewts
    SophNewts Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm not personally not a mother but agree that running up and down the stairs if you have a stair case is a really good home workout. I some times do this 20 times (up and down 20 times) in one go. I have also previously bought a "stepper" from Argos; they're quite cheap (around £30 - 40) and smaller to easily pack away. 30 mins a day infront of the TV / with kids in the room will make a real difference if you're starting out. Otherwise, yes also agree that YouTube has loads of great free workouts which you can do around the house which are completely free. Watch your calorie count and carb intake and you'll be set! Good luck.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Any DVD that you enjoy doing would work. There's also quite a few that cater to kids as well that you can actually do with your kids.

my current favorites are the Turbo Jam series, Billy Banks Tae Bo workouts, Zumba world party and dance revolution for the Wii, and Ali MacGraw's Yoga mind and Body.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Jessica Smith TV (on Youtube) is my favorite. She has DVDs as well, but there may be region issues.

If your kids are old enough for exercise videos look for Billy Blanks "TaeBo Kicks" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ItRz52rz4
  • vtemp2013
    vtemp2013 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is on YouTube for free, and it only lasts ~23 minutes. You'll be POURING sweat by the end of it, but it's great to do at home with very little equipment and time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have an SO, why can't they watch the kids for an hour? An hour is plenty of time to even just walk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mrsmeteor
    mrsmeteor Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Assuming you have an SO, why can't they watch the kids for an hour? An hour is plenty of time to even just walk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

She's a single mom.
  • phnxrth
    phnxrth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do a 60 minute yoga video, a 45 minute pilates video, a 6 minute abs video. I put on headphones and freestyle dance a while to YouTube music. I have a treadmill which gives me the option of preprogrammed workouts or my own, usually walking but sometimes jogging. I've memorized different exercises over the years and also do them, so I get a good variety. 20-30 minutes of aerobics is a fun workout. Also 2 5 lb. dumbells and 2 8 lb. for arms and upper body. There are lots of videos for upper body reps. I often do plenty of stretches before and after.

I really try to keep my calories below 2000 a day and count the number of times I really want to eat but don't. That gives me good incentive to keep going.

In your case running around after the kiddos is a good head start!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you could get an exercise bike. some are quite inexpensive and surprisingly small, and you can watch tv, talk on the phone, check out the web on your phone or tablet or so on.
  • katieevo1992
    katieevo1992 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for all replies they are all great ! I have a weight bench and weights etc i just don't know what I'm doing with them IV had all gadgets , exercise bikes and treadmils and they just gather dust and laundry. I'm going to give these exercise videos a go!! If anyone would like to add me and be my support (i have no friends lol) I'd love that xxxxxxx
  • ziggysky
    ziggysky Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yoga mat, dumbells I do 10-12 reps
    3 times of each exercise I know with dumbells, exercise ball. Weighted balls are cool for a change from the dumbells.
    I'm trying to build a little gym as cheap as possible!
    Stretching helps me feel motivated to work out. I started doing tai chi with Jesse sao dvds, my brother said hey some of those stretches we do in track and field.
    I love walking too
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    find a workout on fitnessblender.com
    good luck
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    We used to have a door frame pull up bar in our kitchen. Do 2-3 in between cooking or ironing or laundry and you soon increase your strength. We can't use it in our current house as the walls are too thin but similar priciples could apply - a press up or two here and there in between chores. Run the stairs instead of walking.

Also, I understand that playing hide and seek with small people can be tiring and energetic. You could turn any quality time with your kids into that kind of exercise-based activity. That way you don't have to feel guilty about prioritising yourself (not that you should feel guilty, but in my acquaintances it's pretty much an epidemic of "guilty mum syndrome"!)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I nanny for twins and am constantly adding exercise into our day. First off we go for walks 2x a day for at least 30 minutes- boom there's my cardio. I do squats holding the babies, they each get 10 reps before I worry about my balance haha. Lunges are easy to do while I follow them around, just walking lunges down the hall. I do elbow to knee standing crunches, probably 10-15 sets of 20. I dunno, I just try to copy how active they are.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Some times I just turn the music on and dance like crazy, and throw in body weight exercises and dumbells for good measure :)

But I also agree with basically any workout DVD, we are currently doing 30 day shred and it's awesome.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Popsugar YouTube channel is good. I got a lot out of a cheap set of resistance bands.
  • cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Try the 7 minute workout app as a warmup...and find a fitness guru on YouTube that you like to watch and listen to because they post tons of workouts for all different situations and levels, including at home workouts. I recommend getting one set of Dumbbells, a jump rope, and a resistance band. Those are the things I've purchased so far for my home workouts and they are all I really need.
  • hcolligan
    hcolligan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Try fitness Blender online. Plenty of exercises to choose from using different equipment and lengths depending on how much time you have. And it's free!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are videos on youtube where you can lift and swing the kids as your weights!