Weak mind - 32 and cried myself to sleep

Options
My weight have always been up and down, but last night I found the bottom. I saw a photo of myself at my brother in laws wedding and I freaked out and cried myself to sleep. I know I don't want to feel like this, not even taking photos with my beautiful one year old because I don't want to see myself (I am losing presious memories) Sadly even in this state I can't override my brain to stop eating. Need to do something asap, does anybody have suggestions how to get your mind on the right track

Replies

• holderh1
    holderh1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Your mind can be a dangerous weapon but it can also be your biggest support. They key is to stop the negative thinking. For every negative thought push it out and replace it with a good thought... you have to train your brain to think differently . I know it isn't easy. I struggle too, but find something that motivates you and think of that. You can do this! It's always going to be a struggle at least it is for me... I've gained and lost so many times throughout my life ... but you got to keep swimming. You will get there as long as your positive .
  • adamb0575
    adamb0575 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi it doesn't work for everyone but you could try hypnosis. It works much the same way as for quitting smoking by planting suggestions. I had very similar problem where I knew what I was eating was wrong and eating way to much but with a couple of sessions I have been able to turn things around and have lost a significant amount of weight. Hope this helps
  • Aha123
    Aha123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Pray
  • Aha123
    Aha123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Aha123 wrote: »
    Pray

Praying helps me. Wish you much success in finding what works for you. :smiley:
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I empathise. I hit rock bottom and kept digging, or should I say eating. Medicating with food is such a vicious cycle. By chance I met a trainer who gave me a tiny glimmer of hope. I ceased that glimmer and 6 months on I'm in a much better space, physically and mentally. I knew it I was in bad space but now that I'm happier I realize how bad it had really gotten. I was unhappy with myself and work, and my family took the brunt of my unhappiness.
    Take tiny steps - one small achievement each day will add up. Just do one thing for yourself each day, like maybe having a herbal tea instead of coffee, adding a handful of veges to one meal, cut down a wee bit on sugar. Practice gratitude - you have a child who needs and cherishes you, go for a walk and enjoy the sunshine, do something for someone else and take your mind off yourself, be thankful you are able bodied. BTW your photo is lovely. Don't be so hard on yourself.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Get to a mental health professional and find out why you find comfort in food. Always an underlying issue.
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've been there. Every picture that has been taken of me the last several years has literally shocked me when I see how awful I look. I never think I look *that* bad but then I see a picture of myself and I'm disgusted. We have 3 kids (8, 6, and 17 months) and we've NEVER had family pictures made because I know I'd hate them. It's gotten to where I try to avoid cameras at all times.

Next April we are planning on taking our kids to Disney World. I know there will be lots of pictures taken and I don't want those memories ruined by me being miserable. This gives me a whole year to lose this weight. Its probably the first time I've set a goal that actually feels attainable and knowing that I can do it makes me feel stronger.
  • PRChica2015
    PRChica2015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A picture of me at the beach was my rock bottom as well. I put it up on the refrigerator door as a reminder of what I did NOT want to look like the following summer. It really helped me stay on track whenever I wanted to reach for a snack/junk food. The weight has been creeping back up again now, and the picture is going back in the fridge. Good luck to you!
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't let your weight rob you of memories with your little guy! There is so much more to you than your size.

If you're interested, pick up a book about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. It did wonders for my self esteem and the way I perceive my thoughts.

You can do whatever you set your mind to!