Do I generally need cardio?

Options
Okay so I'm pretty overweight at 88.5kg and being 5'10. I usually do an hour or two of cardio on the stationary bike on the days that I don't lift. MFP gave me a calorie goal of 1500, this seems pretty easy for me to stick to so far. The problem I'm facing is that the cardio is literally boring me to death. I dread getting on to the stationary bike knowing I have to pedal for an hour. Netflix helps but it's still a killer. I'm just wondering if I can basically abandon cardio and just lift 3 days a week? I really enjoy lifting but hate cardio. I always feel like if I'm not doing some form of cardio then I'm not going to lose weight or that I'm not dieting properly/aiming to become healthier.

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    No, but you really need a calorie deficit. Lifting is great!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes. Cardio is great for cardiovascular health, but not necessary for weight loss.

You could also try other forms of cardio. Dancing, kickboxing, hiking, walking while playing Pokemon Go, and so on.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No, you just need a calorie deficit. However, an "hour or two" of cardio a few days a week burns a significant number of calories, so you will need to eat less to lose weight at the same rate. If you don't, you will either lose slower or not lose at all depending on how large a deficit you are currently eating at.

On another note, cardio is just good for you. I strongly encourage you to keep at least some cardio. If you trade the hour or two on the bike for a half hour walk you won't burn as many calories, but you will burn some and do a lot for your overall health.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I do half hour spurts. One in the morning (interval jogging on the treadmill), then another walking after lunch (while listening to podcasts).

You don't need to do any exercise at all, but for overall health, you should.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If I had to do my cardio on a stationary bike...well, I just wouldn't. There are many other options as others have said, walking, hiking, swimming, running. Find something you like and keep in mind you don't need cardio to lose weight, but in the long run you will feel much better because of it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with no exercise, but you do burn more calories with aerobic exercise. It is also really good for your health. If you exercise 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week, you're good. If time is an issue, split it up into two or three shorter sessions.

There are a lot of exercises that are interesting. I recommend finding something you enjoy. Walking can be done anywhere, any season and is a lot less boring than a stationary bike because the scenery changes constantly. Or go outside on a road or trail bike. Swimming, running, dancing, roller blades, skiing, etc. are all possibilities. Those who successfully keep off weight loss generally do so by including exercise in their daily life so it is best to find something you can do for the rest of your life.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I feel stronger and more steady on my feet and I think the cardio is assisting my weight loss of 1.2 lbs per week. I get up and walk in the early mornings with a friend before work, on my breaks, and at lunch. Then I do weights at the gym twice a week. I go a third time to the gym and usually do the elliptical. I like it better than the stationary bike. So embrace exercise! I think I also think clearer and have more overall energy and motivation.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Everyone should do a bit of cardio for good health.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I bike to work. Cardio, commute, plus time for my audio book. You need cardio, but cardio shouldn't be so boring. Yesterday I didn't work, so I went for a ride on my scooter. Get outside and do something.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I think cardio is important to general well being and cardiovascular health...even more so if you otherwise have a sedentary job. I would be bored out of my mind on a stationary bike though...I love to ride outside. Maybe find another exercise that you enjoy more.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    30 minutes of cardio a day is recommended for good health. You can lose weight without it but isn't actually being healthy a better goal?

Just get out and walk if nothing else. The trick is to find something you like so that you will continuevto do it long term.
  • fitfoundations
    fitfoundations Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

1-2 hours of cardio per day is not a necessity. Intensity does matter though. You can achieve results in 20-30 minutes per day of cardio if you try things like interval training (which doesn't have to be high impact).

I just wrote an article about "How to Choose the Right Cardio for your Goal." That might be helpful to you.
  • kennethwpassmore
    kennethwpassmore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 5-7 lbs over the last couple of weeks due to increased cardio and dropping 500 calories daily. Feels great to wear tighter shirts again.
  • LonsyBoy
    LonsyBoy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    im 5'10" and 113kgs lol
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Cardio will help your fitness and heart health. Most overweight people can get a lot of health & fitness benefit from cardio. However, I suggest 30-45 min rather than 2 hr. Walking outside is much more fun for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My leg muscles must not be very strong because I burn almost nothing on the stationary bike. But I love walking and hiking, so...

I'd never have lost the weight or maintained the loss without cardio. Need those extra 300-400 calories a day (sometimes 1000 now). I like eating too much (and I have a big appetite).
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    1-2 hrs of cardio is not needed unless your training for a marathon. Try HIIT. High intensity interval training. 20-30 minutes a day. Start on the treadmill walking then jogging then spring for a full minute straight. Then repeat. If you have a calorie deficeint diet then this will work and it's not as boring as 2 hrs on the bike. Do 20-30 minutes then lift weights 4-5 days a week.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Is the stationary bike your only tool for cardio? (Hint: The answer is "NO"). Do a variety of stuff. You can search for 'home cardio' or some such term on youtube and find demonstrations of cardio exercises without equipment.
    In addition, some equipment is cheap, like rubber bands, if you are willing to spend a little.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I dislike long cardio sessions on stationary machines, but I do place importance on cardio.

I second, the suggestion on HIIT. A 10 minute session of HIIT can be as effective, with the same benefits (plus more), as 40 minutes of steady state cardio. I do them before or after lifting weight (before upper body day, after leg day)

I just make more an effort of doing casual walks, biking or hiking outdoors - even if it's just 10-15 minutes at a time.