Losing weight while on antidepressants

Options
Hi folks,
I recently decided to turn my health around, I'm a 27 year old male, 178 cm and about 96 kg (210 lbs).
I stopped smoking cigarettes after 14 years of smoking (23 days now :D) and decided I want to be more fit and live a healthier life style.

It's been a week since I started on MFP and doing cardio and I feel great, I have more energy and generally feel motivated to work out, but it just crossed my mind that I'm on Chiparlax (same as Lexapro in the states) which is an antidepressant, I've been on it for about 6-7 months and it helped me greatly by taking away my anxiety attacks and depression.
But now I'm worried it will hinder my weight loss, does anyone have any experience with losing weight while on antidepressants?.

Thanks.

Replies

• dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36 year old male and have taken antidepressants (Sertraline) for a while now.

Since starting to exercise, I found my general mind-set has vastly improved.....must be all those endorphins!

Antidepressants shouldn't stop you
  • R4SNik
    R4SNik Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on quitting smoking. Replacing with health habits such as exercise helps a lot.

I'm currently on more anxiety/anti antidepressants than I'd care to list, but no longer on Lexapro. When on it I was able to lose weight, but it did seem harder than before Lex. I think for me it was the lethargy. You say your energy is good, so hopefully your dosage matches your needs and will allow you to continue towards your goal.

As with anything, it is in the approach. You may have to accept that it will be harder for you, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Continue to workout and log. If you don't see results (even small ones) talk to your physician about it and see if there is an alternative.

Best of luck.
  • tkatodesigns
    tkatodesigns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    R4SNik wrote: »
    First of all congrats on quitting smoking. Replacing with health habits such as exercise helps a lot.

I'm currently on more anxiety/anti antidepressants than I'd care to list, but no longer on Lexapro. When on it I was able to lose weight, but it did seem harder than before Lex. I think for me it was the lethargy. You say your energy is good, so hopefully your dosage matches your needs and will allow you to continue towards your goal.

As with anything, it is in the approach. You may have to accept that it will be harder for you, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Continue to workout and log. If you don't see results (even small ones) talk to your physician about it and see if there is an alternative.

Best of luck.

Thanks for replying.
    I think I had lethargy for a while now, but since I started working out I find I have difficulty going to sleep and such (I do cardio every evening 2-3 hours before going to bed, might have to change it).
    It's too early to tell, but I hope it won't hinder my weight loss.

Thanks.
  • JamieCroyle
    JamieCroyle Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have been on Every " Happy Pill " from A - Z I got diagnosed with depression when I was 18 gain weight lose some gain weight again put it back on gain even more My weight became more of a struggle after college than I did in High school. After returning to WW meetings I had already lost the first 15 lbs on my own went back to my meetings and lost another 27. I have a 25-30 lbs to go walk all week drink lots of water. My OCD has gotten way much better as I've gotten older. My highest has been 190's I'm in the low 160's. My thyroid is in normal range YAY!!!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Also on Lexapro, been (back) on it for 8 months now. I dont think its directly affected my weight, but its helped me manage the depression and anxiety so I can function like a human being and actually have the motivation to eat right and work out.

The fatigue can be a *kitten* though.
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,
    I recently decided to turn my health around, I'm a 27 year old male, 178 cm and about 96 (210 lbs).
    I stopped smoking cigarettes after 14 years of smoking (23 days now :D) and decided I wa'm n thent to be more fit and live a healthier life style.

It's been a week since I started on MFP and doing cardio and I feel great, I have more energy and generally feel motivated to work out, but it just crossed my mind that I'm on Chiparlax (same as Lexapro in the states) which is an antidepressant, I've been on it for about 6-7 months and it helped me greatly by taking away my anxiety attacks and depression.
    But now I'm worried it will hinder my weight loss, does anyone have any experience with losing weight while on antidepressants?.

Thanks.

Boy can I relate! I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder when I was 18(I'm 28 now) and was on and off medication for years. Was on Lexapro for a bunch of years. It worked well but eventually after a few years it become ineffective as meds are known to do from time to time! Now I'm on a cocktail of meds and am incredibly happy about it because I'm actually stable and have been for four years. But it was four years ago when I finally got stable that I started to pretty steadily gain weight. For years and years I was 5'5" and 100lbs. Two years ago I was 145lbs. Last year in the beginning of April I quit smoking after 11 years. That's when I gained the other 40lbs. So now I'm the heaviest I've ever been and it's been a year since I quit so now it's time to get a hold of my weight now that I have that monkey off my back. As much as I hate how overweight I am, I really cant say that I'm unhappy.

So even though the meds might be making it harder the lose the weight, I definitely am going to stay on them because they are another part of my wellness journey as much as quit smoking and eating right is.

So dont compromise your mental health.
  • ZH82
    ZH82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Know the feeling. My antipsychotics cause me to gain weight it feels like a never ending battle. My anti D and anti A don't seem to effect my weight tho, different ones have done in the past. I am trying to take back the control. Feel free to add me I need all the help/motivation I can get
  • cricketmk3
    cricketmk3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I take Wellbutrin to reduce anxiety that causes a bladder condition to flare. Wellbutrin does not normally cause weight gain and is prescribed for people who are trying to quit smoking as well.