1st NSV

Options
lpeacock06
lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
i walked/jogged a 5k today!! Outdoors
I've done it better on the treadmill in about 40 mins! I know that's not great but I'm just getting into running. My time today was 42.33 running outside is so much diff.... Also is asphalt worse for someone who gets shin splints? I had them a few weeks ago & just cut back to lower impact exercise & they got better. I've been jogging/running for the past couple of wks but now my shins hurt again:( what am I doing wrong to get these?

Replies

• cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    they just had a thread for streches to help. You need to fully streach your calves for it to help!
  • Luvlicious
    Luvlicious Posts: 15
    Options
    How's your shoes? Are you wearing the right ones for your type of feet. I used to wear normal running sneakers, but my left ankle is week and I used to get shin splints. I tried the five finger shoes
    NO PAIN! And I run faster!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 5k! I had shin splints and I feel your pain... They are TERRIBLE! Mine were caused by my running shoes. I switched to expensive Asics that I was fitted in and since then, no pain!
  • tracyjo74
    tracyjo74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree- it may be the shoes! I would recommend going to a running store and have them analyze your gait and recommend a shoe. I have not had any pain since I bought by new Asics as well. Good luck and great job on your 5K!
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Congrats! Great accomplishment :)
  • lpeacock06
    Options
    I guess I could look into new shoes...I just got these in may. I told the guy at the store I was starting running & I'm flat-footed so I have a good arch too. My coach at the y said they looked fine.....
  • lpeacock06
    Options
    I agree- it may be the shoes! I would recommend going to a running store and have them analyze your gait and recommend a shoe. I have not had any pain since I bought by new Asics as well. Good luck and great job on your 5K!

Yeah theres a store near me that does this.
    So its not the pavement vs treadmill?
  • lerchfighter
    Options
    Uncle Ted recommends plyometrics via P90X or Insanity. I was a Marine that ran 8-10 miles a day for 20 years and my joints just could not take it any more. Been on the Beachbody program (P90X/Insanity) for over a year and have no joint or muscle issues. If you're even 10 lbs over your optimum Body Mass Index (BMI), you're putting 40 lbs. of stress on muscles or joints. Running is great exercise for people already in great shape and at a proper body weight. For those of us who started heavier (I say this having dropped almost 50 lbs), a lower impact approach is better before you hit the pavement running. I love running, but I can't do it anymore (pushing 50) unless I'm on the thin side.

The Beachbody programs are not "low impact" but I know from my own experience that I feel a lot better doing their work-outs than I do at my age running even 3 miles.

U. Ted
  • lpeacock06
    Options
    Uncle Ted recommends plyometrics via P90X or Insanity. I was a Marine that ran 8-10 miles a day for 20 years and my joints just could not take it any more. Been on the Beachbody program (P90X/Insanity) for over a year and have no joint or muscle issues. If you're even 10 lbs over your optimum Body Mass Index (BMI), you're putting 40 lbs. of stress on muscles or joints. Running is great exercise for people already in great shape and at a proper body weight. For those of us who started heavier (I say this having dropped almost 50 lbs), a lower impact approach is better before you hit the pavement running. I love running, but I can't do it anymore (pushing 50) unless I'm on the thin side.

The Beachbody programs are not "low impact" but I know from my own experience that I feel a lot better doing their work-outs than I do at my age running even 3 miles.

U. Ted

I would love to start p90 as we already have it but I have 2 small children and can't really do the 1.5 hr wkout at home. We have a very small house & if I get up early I'm afraid I'd wake my kids. I cannot wkout w/ them awake & nighttime is out too...I'm too tired by the end of the day. I will have 3 days to myself in sept for 4hrs & thought I could do some then but it's supposed to be 3/week.
    Even trying to do Jillian videos the kds interrupt me constantly......argh!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!