Apple Watch Steps Showing in MFP, but Not Giving Me Exercise Credits

Options
I wear my Apple watch all day. I haven't been able to get MFP to show any exercise credits automatically like I used to when I wore a FitBit. So if I bust tail at the gym while wearing the Apple watch, it still shows "0" for exercise in MFP. No calorie credits are given. This would not be the case when I had my FitBit on - I would be earning some calories back. MFP DOES show the steps I've taken with my Apple watch on the homepage, so it seems to be connected, but is not giving me any exercise calories back. Can someone help?

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Within the health app look for the sharing data function and enable MFP from there and that should fix your issue.
  • lrb142014
    lrb142014 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Are you using your activity app to select the type of exercise you are doing?
  • stephanieseidl
    stephanieseidl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I've checked and double checked that my health app is set up to sync with MFP. My steps show up on MFP but no credit for any formal exercise that I track with my Apple Watch and now no credit for steps. Yesterday I did a long outdoor walk which I tracked in my app. I had a total of 16,500 steps when I went to bed. 0 calorie adjustment for the day.
  • Das_It
    Das_It Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem please help or this app is of no use to me.
  • Dinow
    Dinow Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have same issue now since I upgraded to ios 11
  • Lamar_theOx
    Lamar_theOx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wear my Apple watch all day. I haven't been able to get MFP to show any exercise credits automatically like I used to when I wore a FitBit. So if I bust tail at the gym while wearing the Apple watch, it still shows "0" for exercise in MFP. No calorie credits are given. This would not be the case when I had my FitBit on - I would be earning some calories back. MFP DOES show the steps I've taken with my Apple watch on the homepage, so it seems to be connected, but is not giving me any exercise calories back. Can someone help?

What watch is it??
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That's strange, I have a 1st generation apple watch and my iphone has the latest software and I don't have this problem. You are tracking your workout on your watch, I assume? By that I mean going into the exercise app and choosing "Elliptical", "Indoor Bike", etc.

I have noticed that MFP generally doesn't recognize active calories beyond those collected during a formal workout. For example, I usually track my stationary bike workout through the Apple watch exercise app and I will get credit for those calories in MFP. However, MFP does not give me calorie credit for the two 30-minute walks I take with my dogs (it just tracks my steps), because I do not have the exercise app going during that time. I have to enter that exercise manually.

Hope that helps, but it could just be a glitch with the MFP app (happens all the time). Whatever it is, hopefully you get it figured out.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yes, unlike Fitbit, with AW you have to start and stop a workout and when completed it will get passed through to MFP unless you use "other" and name it something MFP doesn't like, such as HIIT. If you use "other" just leave it unnamed.
  • christievog
    christievog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bee_bee8 wrote: »
    That's strange, I have a 1st generation apple watch and my iphone has the latest software and I don't have this problem. You are tracking your workout on your watch, I assume? By that I mean going into the exercise app and choosing "Elliptical", "Indoor Bike", etc.

I have noticed that MFP generally doesn't recognize active calories beyond those collected during a formal workout. For example, I usually track my stationary bike workout through the Apple watch exercise app and I will get credit for those calories in MFP. However, MFP does not give me calorie credit for the two 30-minute walks I take with my dogs (it just tracks my steps), because I do not have the exercise app going during that time. I have to enter that exercise manually.

Hope that helps, but it could just be a glitch with the MFP app (happens all the time). Whatever it is, hopefully you get it figured out.

• christievog
    christievog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So should we be manually entering calories burned outside of what we burn from workouts at the end of the day so that we do get calorie credit? I’ve walked an extra 4000 steps above and beyond my run that I manually entered today, but have no extra calorie credits for all of those steps.