Low Carb/No Carb

Options
:flowerforyou: So, I spoke to my doctor this week and he told me that I should do a low carb diet such as South Beach.

This is something I'm not looking forward to as I found that carbs hide out in a lot of foods and I'm not sure what my carb intake should be on this type of diet.

Has anyone had success with this and around how many carbs should I keep my daily intake to?

Thanks!

Replies

• dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When you fill out your profile for your food diary it should tell you how many carbs you should have. If it does'nt then you can add carbs to it, I think.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I've lost all of mine not worrying about carbs. :)

I've tried low-carb diets in the past. I hate not being able to eat what I want though. When I watch calories, I eat what I want -- and because I'm limited in how much, I usually make better decisions.

That's my two cents.
  • ncgatorfan
    ncgatorfan Posts: 517
    Options
    My doc also told me to try southbeach. I was successful at it, but in my mind, I felt deprived without carbs. So after the initial week and into the second week, I felt really lethargic and too tired to go to the gym. So, I tried drinking Gatorade before spinning class (per doc's instructions after I told her i had no energy to workout). That didn't work, still felt no energy. My body just needs healthy carbs to perform, so I figured not working out and giving up carbs is not worth it. Since I found this sight, I've already done so much better than on the SB diet. I'll take that over deprivation any day!!
  • missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    I did that for a short time, and that's as long as it lasted. I felt like I was starving by not having many carbs. I was doing 20g or less a day though, and after a week I had lost a lot of weight but I broke down. I was deprived so I went and had the most carb filled food I could think of, MEXICAN. Good luck!
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I think for now I may just try to kick my Soda addiction. It alone has 39 g of carbs!

I'm just sad because it's the only vice I really have left. I just quit drinking so thats out now....I don't smoke....

And I don't drink the diet sodas because of the aspertaim. (spelling???)
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    There are "natural" sodas that have either sugar or one of those new sweeteners that aren't as dangerous as aspartame. But, I gave up soda altogether. It wasn't easy, but you'd be surprised all the flavors your missing out on by spoiling the food with soda. Try water. :)
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb for awhile now.

I stay under 100 grams of carbs per day. High fiber and high protien is key. I see the othe rposts to this thread aren't really pro low carb, but I can tell you that even though it is hard at first you will eventually not miss it. Some things to think about.. ALOT of your favorite foods are breaded, sauces have a lot of sugar and drinks too. Carbs and sugars are directly related. Also if your looking for a diet soad without aspertane diet rite uses splenda. Yes in your first few weeks of low carbing you might feel a little tired known as the "carb flu" but you will come out of it to find you have more energy and losing weight faster.
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have to watch carbs Because of my sugar. so I was told not to eat bread or potatoes.To me a meal with out bread is like a day with out sunshine. I just found bread with lower carbs. and only have a half of baked potatoe a week.
    The weight loss is slow but I found a few pounds a week is more likely to remain lost!
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    iTim....I've hears something about those natural sodas....Thank you for the idea because I think I'll run out to our local Organic grocery store and see what they offer. I might get lucky.
  • Italiandoglover
    Options
    Low carb does not necessarily mean no food. I changed my diet to a lower carb intake, I set MFB to be 40/30/30 protein fat carb. Instead of eating white bread, switch to a whole wheat organic. I personally love Ole' Low carb/high fiber whole wheat wraps, 72 calories and chock full of goodies to eat turkey wraps in. As for the soda thing, best organic soda is Zevia, made with stevia, no chemicals, 0 calories and they taste pretty damn good, I treat myself to one a week cause I dont want to get into the habit of tasting soda again. Just know they are pricier than regular soda.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Low carb does not mean you can not eat any carbs, it just means you need to watch them. You might be surprised just how much you are eating. I have PCOS and eating low carb has been great. You can still have bread but i pick more wholesome choices or low carb wraps. Kroger makes a great yogurt that is low carb and it motivates you to eat more veggies. I have set my ration to 40/30/30 for carbs, fat, protein. I try for about 150. The there key is to eat protein. I still have a bagel or sandwich everyday i just lower the carbs I eat at other meals.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: So, I spoke to my doctor this week and he told me that I should do a low carb diet such as South Beach.

This is something I'm not looking forward to as I found that carbs hide out in a lot of foods and I'm not sure what my carb intake should be on this type of diet.

Has anyone had success with this and around how many carbs should I keep my daily intake to?

Thanks!

I'm assuming that your doctor had a good reason for suggesting that you go low-carb. Perhaps you're insulin-resistant, or pre-diabetic? Anyway, I'm very low-carb, and keep them to around 20 grams a day. I've heard you can lose on under 100 a day. The main kind of carbs I gave up were the ones found in processed or refined foods (pasta, noodles, junk food), and starchy carbs like potatos or rice. Don't even miss them. You can get your carbs from good veggies: lettuce, tomatos, onions, zuchinni, squash, etc. I eat a lot of salad. Also, eat more protein and fat. It will fill you up, so you're not always hungry. Good luck!
  • jknowswhatsup
    Options
    i have been doing low carb for a while now, and I am diabetic. I have lost weight, my appetite has diminished, and I eat some incredibly good meals. Fajitas, taco salad, amazing omelettes, shrimp and brocolli alfredo (the sauce recipe has i think 3g of carbs). I have never had as much success as I have had on a low carb diet, and those who say they feel starved and didn't get to eat good food didn't try finding recipes that make this lifestyle great. I can keep my carbs around 20g a day, and have no issues with my blood sugar or cravings. Watch the movie "Fat Head", its free on google or youtube I believe. You will understand why low carb is a good lifestyle alternative. best of luck, keep us posted, and if you need support in your change, or see what we eat on a daily basis, friend me or my wife (snikrepa 2003).
  • LondonLad
    LondonLad Posts: 31
    Options
    Low carb is the way to go, I have lost 30 pounds in 8 weeks (21 pounds to go).

LCD do not need willpower and I am never hungry although I will admit it is a very boring diet.

I now have much higher energy levels and I always seem to be in a good mood (it has been remarked upon) I dont know if this is because of the diet or just because of the weight loss.

Three people in my office are now following a LCD and all have remarked how effective it is although one of them had LCD "flu" for a couple of days but it soon passed.

Read Gary Taubes boook "Why we get fat" for the lowdown.
  • missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    I would just make small adjustments to the carbs and now just jump into a low carb way of living because it sucks. Start with cutting soda, or switching over to diet. Eat healthier carbs like whole grain, and wheat. Also remember, sugar = carbs. Cutting back on sugar will automatically cut you back on carbs (=
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I've never tried South Beach, but I am on a low carb diet. I thought South Beach was about ratios, like 30% protein/30% fat/40% carbs. If that's the case, you can customize your goals from the home page. Just select Custom and change the percentage of those nutrients based on your calorie intake. You'll need to do a lot of research about this before you just jump in. And yes, you'll need to be well aware of what exactly is in the food you eat.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I keep mine under 100 g and like a few others have mentioned, it's great. I eat taco salads, delicious omelets, bunless burgers, any kind of meat and fish with vegetables (instead of rice or potatoes), cheese for snacks, peanuts, etc. I used to be a *major* pasta lover and ever since I cut it (I'll have it maybe once a month now) out of my diet, I don't miss it. I never thought that could happen! Lots of energy as well, and my stomach has gotten noticeably smaller since I watched my carbs (previously I only watched calories). There are good choices where you won't ever feel deprived, but you just have to have the time to cook it! :) Search the boards for low carb/Atkins threads and add some of the people who reply in those threads to see some of their diaries.

Good luck!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My friend did South Beach and lost 40-50 pounds. The only weeks when you severely restrict all carbs are the first two. She said that was really hard, but she was also de-caffeinating at the same time.

Otherwise, its just a reduction in simple carbs and it emphasizes more complex carbs. I think that it is a reasonable "diet" and is more of a lifestyle change approach. She does it now without obsessing and has kept the weight off. She can eat dessert and drink alcohol now too. All in moderation :wink:

I considered doing this, but wanted to see if I could lose the weight just counting calories and eating more naturally and for now that is working for me. I don't know if this was helpful, but I hope it was!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I think for now I may just try to kick my Soda addiction. It alone has 39 g of carbs!

I'm just sad because it's the only vice I really have left. I just quit drinking so thats out now....I don't smoke....

And I don't drink the diet sodas because of the aspertaim. (spelling???)

Have you tried flavored (no artificial sweeteners) seltzer waters? They will give you your fizzy-drink fix.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    While I have my MFP ratios set to 40% carb / 30% protein / 30% fat, I'm not overly strict with that. It works for me, though everyone is different. I don't cut out any carbs, but I do not overindulge in them - try to keep with that ratio. I eat what I want but in moderation.