Anyone done Weight Watchers?

Options
momofboys330
momofboys330 Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2017 in Getting Started
Has anyone on here done Weight Watchers and switched to just counting calories? I've been tracking both calories and "points", and some days I'm low on calories. Not really losing any weight and getting frustrated with paying for WW.

Replies

• Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I done weight watchers. I wasn't losing weight either so I stop paying for it and just counted calories
  • heal130
    heal130 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just switching from WW to MFP - tired of paying and I find it difficult to follow points if you go out for dinner - lots of restaurants have skinny menus with calories- plus WW app has lots of technical issues I am starting low carb high protein
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your weeklies? You might not be eating enough
  • svierheilig
    svierheilig Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Many times
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I did it years ago and lost weight. I just tried again and blech- a few days in and I'm struggling. Having 30 DP I was shocked yesterday to see that a cup of soup was 11 points. The soup was 250 cals a cup, and I was going to pair it with a WW bagel- but that would have been 15 pts for a 400 calorie lunch. I know you can fill up on fruits and veggies, but it just seems less restrictive to go back to calorie counting.
  • fitzmonkey13
    fitzmonkey13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I did it once years ago and had great success. Then I had a health issue and gained it all back waiting for surgery. I think it has a lot to teach about incorporating vegetables and fruits into your diet, and the support structure is really helpful. I tried again more recently and had a lot of trouble getting to meetings regularly because of my schedule. MFP has been better for me because I can connect with people at more convenient times.

Also, I'm far too sarcastic to cope with the relentlessly cheery facade of some of the WW leaders and my favourite one doesn't do regular meetings in my region anymore.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I did a long time ago and had success, but gained it all back when I went through a divorce and subsequent marriage to an abusive man. Once I found MFP, I was able to lose over 100lbs, and gained 65lbs back when I got remarried and super lazy!! LOL Now I'm back on MFP and counting calories again. Down 13lbs since Feb and have about 55 to go!
  • SashaQ1381
    SashaQ1381 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Many times

LOL!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    fvtfan wrote: »
    Are you eating your weeklies? You might not be eating enough

She says she's not losing weight. If she's not losing weight, she's eating too much.
  • anne13775
    anne13775 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did it for a few months - lost 16/17 lb but then they changed to Smart points. Like you I had 30 points and discovered an ordinary yoghurt, not luxury was 7 points. It was impossible to eat out, even to buy a sandwich without the points being astronomical. I soon lost the plot with it and regained the weight (while still paying) I was an online subscription as in my experience, the classes were appalling. Usual feelings of failure etc but now think I was just taken for a ride by WW. Back to calories for me. I am liking MFP
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yes! Since WW came out with the Smart Points I was not losing , it was difficult counting points while eating out and so on....I like MFP enjoy the foods that I love and still losing
  • marieschneider1097
    marieschneider1097 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm switching now
  • winchestertardisrider
    Options
    I lost over 50lbs with Weight Watchers and I'll be forever grateful for that. But their system, especially this new SmartPoint madness, was not sustainable with my life longterm. This is much better and MUCH more economical.
  • deetox68
    deetox68 Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Has anyone on here done Weight Watchers and switched to just counting calories? I've been tracking both calories and "points", and some days I'm low on calories. Not really losing any weight and getting frustrated with paying for WW.

Hi, not sure if done this right as never replied to anyone on here before but here goes. Quite a few years ago I did weight watchers and lost two stones on it, but it was not easy challenge, the meals were very small and was always hungry but yes it did work, I felt great but was always hungry, but did extreme exercise as well, I felt back then that the weight watchers coaches were only interested in how much money they could get from you, so I attended a couple of meetings, bought the books and did it myself at home. Ok less business for them but more money saving for me. And I did it, but as time went on my weight slowly went back up adding on another stone on top to my horror. Now I am back at the beginning again about 12+ years later and older and over weight and now trying again. The problem is, after a while we get bored of counting calories or points. So we start to fade it out, but our weight does not care about us and returns itself all over again. I have been try this method for a while just by cutting down the calories gradually and see what happens..But interesting that you have now not lost any weight with WW since all of their ads I seen on tv lately stating how good they are. I think as a business weight watchers or any slimming business should be more aware of medical conditions that can keep weight up or down, like thyroid issues. Any weight programme will never work properly if the person has thyroid issues and not being treated with meds to control it. Speaking from own experience....Advise anyone to get theirs checked if your weight becomes out of control either to low or to high. Especially if you are doing all the things you are supposed to be doing and its not working. Hope this helps...
  • deetox68
    deetox68 Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Can I also suggest to anyone, to get your thyroid levels checked, its a blood test at the doctors, a lot of people have thyroid issues and dont even know it. That will either make weight gain go up high or drop very low. and without any treatments your metabolism will be out off control...
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I did WW over 12 years ago - and it worked great for me. Lost 60 pounds in 2 years. Unfortunately they have gone to new plans that many people don't like as well. I only regained about 15 in the last 2 years because I got lazy and stopped logging my food every day. I really know better. :# So I am using MFP just to get back and stay on track. WW really taught me everything I needed to be successful. It's up to me to apply the knowledge.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Tried it over a decade ago, did not like it. I did lose weight following the plan. But you had to buy so much material to get the information needed for food and restaurants. Then they changed the plan and voila! new materials to buy. And the meetings - bleagh - not my thing at all. All that sharing.

I'm a numbers person. Love counting calories and the USDA database https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

I have also learned much here.
    Weigh, don't measure.
    Weigh everything. examples:
    • Yesterdays gala apple - USDA has large apple at 200g, my apple came in at 270!
    • My 100 calorie sandwich thin - actually 119 calories when I weigh it an recalculate
    Weight loss is not linear - but it should trend down of course.
    Don't eat back ALL the exercise calories.
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't do weight watchers, but i do buy their crisps & danish malted bread ( for a low cal crisp sarnie),caramel wafer bars, dark choc n mint biscuits etc as they make excellent low cal snacks( unless you have sugar issues)