How does losing more than two pounds per week affect your health?

Options
SunflowerDaisey
SunflowerDaisey Posts: 54 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello. I'm just curious. I know it can cause gallstones and muscle loss. Anything else? Thanks

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hair loss, low energy, nutritional deficiencies, headaches, dizziness, weakness, hormone imbalances, and weakened bones are some of the others.

Very large people can probably safely lose more than two pounds a week at the beginning of their weight loss without facing these risks. For others, it can be risky.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Hair loss. Moodiness.....and those other things you mentioned don't just happen in some people it happens in all people when done for a prolonged period of time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,972 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Depends on how much weight one has to lose - if over 100 pounds, more than 2#/wk wouldn't be an issue, depending on how much more than 100 and how much more than 2.

But if one has much less weight to lose then it could indeed be a problem. And because of the hair growth cycle, side effects like hair loss won't show up until months after the time of undereating.

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I didn't know losing more than two pounds a week causes gallstones. I had my gallbladder removed three years ago because I had very bad gallstones, and I didn't even know where that came from. I did lose a decent amount of weight prior though. Thanks for the insight!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    2 Lbs per week is a 1,000 calorie per day deficit, which is pretty huge...a larger deficit is going to make it much more difficult to meet nutrient requirements. Also, it doesn't result in muscle loss in some...the steeper the deficit, the more muscle loss you're going to experience as their is a limit as to how much fat you can oxidize for fuel in a period of time.

Also, you can look around here and see the multiple threads with people losing their hair, loss of menstrual cycles, etc. When your body is substantially energy (calorie) deprived, it starts shutting down "non-essential" functions to become more efficient to compensate for the huge energy deficit.

Your starting point also matters...someone with a ton of weight to lose will be able to lose faster for awhile without much issue...someone leaner is going to have an onslaught of issues much sooner.

VLCDs should be done only under the supervision of medical professionals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,972 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This person starting losing over 2 pounds per week in September and only started getting hair loss a month or two ago: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10544318/hair-falling-out/p1
  • SunflowerDaisey
    SunflowerDaisey Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This person starting losing over 2 pounds per week in September and only started getting hair loss a month or two ago: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10544318/hair-falling-out/p1

Oh gosh. I just saw that same one. But she did say she had PCOS and was eating plant based. I think that contributed to the hair loss too.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    1% of body weight or 2 lbs a week, whichever is greater, is okay. You missed another side effect of fast weight loss--excess skin. You may get it even at slow loss rates if you're older, very fat, or genetically prone to it, but it's more likely for the general case at fast ones.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    1% of body weight or 2 lbs a week, whichever is greater, is okay.

Think you said that wrong. Whichever is LESS. I'm 245ish, so 1% would be 2.5 lbs and more than the suggested 2 lbs.
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    1% of body weight or 2 lbs a week, whichever is greater, is okay.

Think you said that wrong. Whichever is LESS. I'm 245ish, so 1% would be 2.5 lbs and more than the suggested 2 lbs.

No, I believe that is correct. If 1% of your body weight is more than 2lbs it's still ok for the most part, though there are always other contributing factors