Strength training post c section

Options
What has anyone done for strength training after a c section and when?
I'm 12 weeks and have started spin and yoga. My core is still quite week so taking it slow is a must. Would stronglifts 5x5 be too ambitious?

Replies

• acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Have you been cleared by your doctor to exercise?

I've had multiple c-sections. I am a lifter normally however and lifted until the day I delivered with my 3 children. I started lifting again at 6 weeks post partum in every case with the exception of direct ab work. I had my abs sewn back together, so I waited until around 16 weeks for that. I was tender, but not for long.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was cleared at the 6 week to do anything. I thought that was a little crazy especially in terms of core work. My core is pretty much non existent from the surgery. When I do spin, it is all legs since I am so weak.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I had a major surgery very simular to c section but with a 10-12" vertical incision I stead.

I started rank new on strong lift about 5 weeks after.

I'm a athlete, so my doctors probably cleared me a bit sooner than most. Just follow your dr's advice and hopefully he/she is a lifter and truly understands how helpful it is.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is not too ambitious as long as you start as low weight as needed for your current fitness level. Add weight slowly, if you're starting light, 5 lbs per day might be too much. The format is fine.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I wasn't cleared for exercise until 8 weeks with a c-section. I wouldn't try anything until you are medically cleared as you can tear your stitches.
  • Sara2184
    Sara2184 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've been cleared by my doctor (6 week pp) & have started walking but still feel sore if I jog slightly. Anyone recommend light core workouts? My insides are a mush
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    You should be fine with stronglifts. I was cleared at 8 weeks and started right then. Just take it slow and listen to your body.
  • Sara2184
    Sara2184 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • tooheyz
    tooheyz Posts: 26 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Had 2 sections and went back to lifting 5 weeks post, with doc's clearance. Didn't do direct ab exercise until about 12 weeks post.

Just take it easy - you dont want to tear your stitches, get injured and be out the gym for even longer!