Orange Theory

Options
Has anyone signed up to do any of their classes? I am in Northern Ca and they are all popping up all over the place around here recently. If you have gone what are your thoughts? Pros/cons?

Replies

• ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about it except that it's a group-based circuit training workout. I think it's kinda pricey, but so is everything these days pretty much. If you're interested, check to see if you can take a free class. Whatever gets you motivated is worth it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We got a couple free classes here. Hubby didn't like it; it's intense.

I really liked it. For the length of the workout you really feel the results. I know I would be stronger pretty quick on their program.

It's very good for busy people who don't want the bother of coming up with their own circuit.

The hidden cost is the heart rate monitor. Shop around and get a good one.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If it motivates you to be more focused and consistent than you would be on your own, then it can be a positive thing. Keep in mind that, pysiologically, there is nothing magic or even unique about what they do. All the talk about "science", "fat burning", etc, is just woo, so I wouldn't spend the money thinking you are getting something there that you can't get anywhere else. But a lot of people like the class structure, the atmosphere, social support, etc, and that can help make it effective.
  • JLASilver
    JLASilver Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do the classes twice a week. I don't know if it varys by region but I only love 3G classs where you split up and spend 20 mins in ever section (floor, treadmill, and rowing). The other classes can be as much as 30 mins running...ugh. The work out is great and my OT has TRX equipment so the floor exercises vary every class and challenge you.
    Quick side note: I HATE running. Hate. So I was terrified to sign up. My OT has a stationary bike and an elliptical for those of us cannot or will not run. I did challenge myself, because it's more of a mental limitation than a physical one. So I've been doing some combo of running and jogging. I still hate it, especially on interval days.
  • mafhoney
    mafhoney Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been going 4-5 times a week since one by my apartment opened in September of last year. For me, I like the structure. I've tried doing the workouts at home if I couldn't get into a class, or was short on time, and I didn't like it. I'm not self motivating when I'm in the gym alone, and it was really too hard to try and time everything out. I also push myself a lot more if I'm in a class with a bunch of other people.

They should offer you a free first class, and will sometimes let you do two for free if you're really undecided after the first one. No two classes are the same and I know when I convinced my husband to try it, his first day was a self pace on the treadmill portion. It was a run (or walk/bike) for distance for 12min., so it wasn't a typical class where you may do something for a couple minutes, then switch to a different pace or incline. He went back a couple days later and it was a strength day, so it was all timed out by the coach, and 100% different then his first class.

They have 4 different workout days - Endurance, Strength, Power, and ESP. Endurance days are just that - a lot of long pushes on the treadmills, longer rows, more reps in the weight area. Strength days are lower reps, higher weights, usually minimal rowing, and tend to be hill climbs on the treadmills. Power days are usually short bursts on the rower, lower reps but powerful floor movements (burpees, squat jumps, etc), and short pushes/all outs on the treadmills.

I would definitely go in and try it to see how you like it. It's not cheap, but for me it's 100% worth it. Biggest thing is to work at your own pace. In the beginning I used to try and keep up with people who rowed faster than me, or did the got through floor blocks faster, until I realized that no one cared. It wasn't a race, and my god I still hate rowing so it's always a slow point for me. I just do what I can do, and don't care about anyone else anymore.
  • crmong
    crmong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Too expensive for me but I have a friend that goes and she loves it!